Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 23-08-2012

Question Which 2wd?

Hi

I'm considering buying a 2wd buggy. Which one would work best on grass and astro?

I want something cheap and reliable.

Thanks
Old 23-08-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

if price is a factor then you won't get better performance/cash than the X2C. Around £120 - 130 new. fit a nylon idler gear if it isn't already included in the kit and job done.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 23-08-2012

schumacher cougar sv2 get my vote
Old 23-08-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

that the problem with these questions, everyone has a different opinion.
I ran a cougar last year and i couldn;t get on with it. Far too agressive and difficult to string 5 minutes together. The X2c in comparison feels really stable and safe to drive and easy to keep on its wheels for 5 minutes.
Although in fairness the cougar was well built and strong, slightly better material quality than the X2C, but you would expect that for the price.

The only real way to decide is to try out a couple of different cars on your short list at a club and see which drives the way you want.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 23-08-2012

id go for the dex210 ive run one every weekend this year and its still like new ive put no new parts on it and iv had the best year so far its realy easy to drive you can just keep puting the fast laps in one after the other.
Old 23-08-2012

It depends what you want for your money. The X2C is about £60 cheaper than the SV2, but for the extra £60 you get a laser etched alloy chassis rather than a plastic tub, CF shock towers as opposed to plastic, big bores shocks.... If you are happy with the plastic of the X2C then you can't go wrong for £130. If you wanted to upgrade it to a spec similar to an SV2 though you would probably end up spending more in the long run than you would by just buying an SV2 in the beginning.

That said, there is no reason why you can't be successful with the X2C so if that is what you want and you are happy with it then go for that one. After all Kyosho use composite chassis and shock towers and they are bloody good cars!
Old 23-08-2012

+1 for the cougar sv2 very strong, great backup and its made in the uk
Old 24-08-2012

I was looking at the same idea. but it was losi 22 sv2. Or an svr. but i saw a secobd hand vega. i would look in the for sale section. i would hope to think no one in here would rip any one off.
buying second hand opens up your options massively

manic
Old 24-08-2012

astro makes a midmotor the best choice speed wise. But it really depends how fast you are. On most astro tracks with 30 sec lap time a midmotor is up to 0.5 faster.
Midmotor is always a tiny bit more expensive, but you will need other springs etc for most cars if you drive on astro.
Midmotor cars:
TLR22, Durango 210, Tc02C, RB6, Schumacher
or get a convertion kit like Vega but this is far from cheap.

Buy the car you like looking at and want to work on. Download some manuals first to have a closer look. There is enough help for any car.
Old 24-08-2012

Thanks for the advice. I was looking a cougar sv. Probably a stupid question but is there any difference between the sv and sv2?

The last 2wd I drove (many months ago) was a ac cr2. I had one go on it lol!
I was looking at a dex210 as well. I thought the price for spares was but high though. If I could get one second hand then it might be worth it.
Old 24-08-2012

I now drive the SV2 but never drove the SV so cant comment on the differences as well as maybe some of the others on here can.

I have previously owned a DEX210 though and if I was to choose between the two then I would always choose the SV2. My reasons for this are simply that I find the SV2 easier to drive quicker, after its first run with no real modifications to kit set up other than my own choice of shock pistons and oils I was already putting in the same number of laps as I used to with the DEX210 which I had spent a lot of time on tinkering with it and trying to improve the set up to suit my liking.

Also I had to spend more money on the DEX210 to be happy with the car, things like the carbon fibre steering link, carbon fibre rear shock tower, Cream carbon fibre/alloy front shock tower, swapped from the kit ball cups and turnbuckles to Losi ones. I didnt make these changes for the 'bling' factor, but becasue the kit ones broke and so I replaced them with stronger alternatives. It is still early days for me and my SV2, but so far it doesnt seem to have so many little bits that need upgrading. The alloy hubs are one area that are worth upgrading though as the plastic ones are not the best.

If you are happy to buy second hand though then its well worth browsing the for sale area as many of the cars that go up for sale already have a lot of these modifications included.

To be fair though, there are no bad cars when looking at the racing spec kits (as opposed to some of the cheaper RTR's which need lots of upgrades) so choose the one that you like the look of, suits your budget, is popular at your local track etc etc. If price is a key factor though then for sub £200 then the DEX210 and SV2 get you a lot of bang for your buck. The X2C has less bling but will also serve you well and is only about £130 so there are plenty of options out there for good cars at the lower end of the market.
Old 24-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfry61 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I was looking a cougar sv. Probably a stupid question but is there any difference between the sv and sv2?

The last 2wd I drove (many months ago) was a ac cr2. I had one go on it lol!
I was looking at a dex210 as well. I thought the price for spares was but high though. If I could get one second hand then it might be worth it.
Got the SV2 as my new 2wd after a long time out of racing. Been racing since February/March and I have yet to break anything on it (which is quite remarkable given the amount of crashes I have).

So what it is worth, I can recommend the SV2. Not sure what the differences are with the Sv and SV2, but the Sv2 is the newer version, so it must be better!
Old 24-08-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

if you go for a Dex210 then replace all the ball cups with RPm or similar as the kit ones are rubbish and pop off repeatedly.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 24-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by trr061984 View Post
Got the SV2 as my new 2wd after a long time out of racing. Been racing since February/March and I have yet to break anything on it (which is quite remarkable given the amount of crashes I have).

So what it is worth, I can recommend the SV2. Not sure what the differences are with the Sv and SV2, but the Sv2 is the newer version, so it must be better!
8mm longer chassis, alloy chassis & other bits to make it more stable, I've just come to the sport & I have started with a second hand sv, cheaper than the sv2 & if I want to upgrade I'llbe able to sell it for about what i paid.
Old 24-08-2012

I've owned the SV and SV2 and now I drive the DEX210...

I love the 210, need some upgrades but I'm miles faster with it then my old SV2.
I loved the SV more then the SV2, cant say why... The car is very strong, but the driving is different from the first one. Not my style...

Now with the 210 it's on rails... Every race I got in the A final
Only broke a steering hub and rear hub since I got it...
Old 24-08-2012

If its a choice between 2 cars, go to your local track and ask the drivers there, see which car has the better support at that club, no point buying a car that no one at the club runs.
Old 24-08-2012

Very good point!!!
Old 24-08-2012

Associated b4.1. The original b4 was the best car I ever drove out of the box.
Kyosho rb5 was the best rear motored 2wd I ever drove.
Neither are as cheap as the X2c but 2nd hand....
Old 24-08-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I own a 210. I've also tried 2 other 210's quite extensively, plus driven a few different 22's. What is important to note is the they were all different, and the 210's as different from each others as the 22's.
From this I can safely say that they are both good cars, and any differences between individual cars is down to setup. Whilst I've not tried the SV2 I can't see any reason it won't apply there too.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 24-08-2012

from what ive seen the sv2 has less steering than the sv and appears to less predictable, all we run at our club is cougar sv's (and sv 2) and durango dex 210, i drive an sv with 8 mm longer chassis and my son drives a normal sv neither of us likes driving the others car, so its down to personal preferences, ask at your local club, we have just had a team c mid motored buggy turn up who used to drive an sv2 and he says its so much easier to drive faster indoors