Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 28-04-2014

Question 2wd buggy tyre insert advice

Can anyone offer me some advice on 2wd buggy tyre inserts?

I'll mainly be racing on cut grass at my local club so this is what I'll be setting the buggy up for.

I've bought Schumacher mini-spikes in yellow for the dry front & rear and Ballistic buggy mini-spikes in green for the wet front and rear.

I've been advised to get medium inserts, so I went for some closed cell medium inserts.

Now here's the dilemma I am having, the 2 sets of closed cell medium inserts I've received are slightly different even though they are the same brand. One set has a groove in the middle on the inside of the insert which give the tyre a slightly softer feel.

Am I better fitting the softer feeling inserts to my wet tyres or dry tyres?

I haven't used the buggy yet so I can't comment on how it handles at the moment.
Old 28-04-2014

Medium inserts = http://insidelineracing.co.uk/new-pr...r-foam-details

The vast majority of racers will use a foam insert of one shape or another. The closed cell inserts are generally only used for dirt tyres on high bite clay tracks.
Old 29-04-2014

Hi,

As you've already got the inserts they will be fine to use. I use closed cell inserts on pretty much all my tyres as they are re-usable so save a bit of money, I've never had a problem with them on any surface to be honest.

As wet grass needs the spikes of the tyres to be as proud of the carcass as possible to bite into the dirt below to get grip I would use the firmer of the pair of inserts on the wet tyres.

Hope this helps.

If you don't ask, you'll never know!
Old 29-04-2014

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've ordered some Balls Out medium foam inserts from MB models as that is what the majority of responses I've had are telling me to get.

The closed cells can go in my spares box, I might try them out at some point out of interest. I have very little experience in off-road so this will be the start of a learning curve for me.