Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 02-12-2014
Mad Member

Default Help a newbie with electrics for my 22 2.0

Aint got load of money so been looking at the stuff on hobbyking but I've no idea whats best

Want it to be quick, it's been a while since I raced but I was pretty good so don't want slow stuff

Do I need a short battery pack? It mid motor, or can I fit a longer one?

I used to run mainly 10x2 brushed back in the day so I guess whatever is similar these days. I'm not sure what the amp ratings on speedos is for so help on that too would be good

Are the servos still the same size I've got some knocking about so will just use one of those if they are

Thanks
Old 02-12-2014
Mad Member

Forgot to say, I also want my lads to be able to use it so would want a slower option for them
Old 03-12-2014
Banned

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...approved_.html

Something like that I would imagine for a speedo, the motor limit for 2 cells is the indicator as to what it can handle (although have no experience of using it)use a 8.5 turn motor. Shorty batteries will be useful if you are running a kf, but other than that saddles will be most general.

Last edited by dwp102; 03-12-2014 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-12-2014

I use both "shorties" and "saddles" the difference is the weight that you are putting in the car a shortie is about 80 grams lighter than a saddle. For a higher grip track, i use the saddles, the extra weight makes the car work a bit harder which helps prevent grip roll etc. both fit in the car, the shortie needs a little bit of fettling as it is a fraction longer than the saddles side by side.

i use a the savox 1251 low pofile servo. it gives you a bit more room to install your radio gear. The losi 22 2.0 makes it really easy to install the speedo on the battery bar, so you can get away with a full size servo, but check it works with your radio gear. all my old expensive analog KO servos wont work with the modern systems.

As for a speedo and motor, i spent my first season using a 10.5 brushless motor and a 60 amp speedo, both second hand from this website for very little money. the setup held its own, and let my finish in the top ten for my region, but after a few months, it was clear that i was losing lap times because of the straight line speed. so i upgraded to a 7.5 motor and a 120amp speedo.

in terms of buying things from hobbyking, the value you get is really good, but remember that the batteries and motors are not on the BRCA homologation lists, which means they are not legal for regional competition. I have to have a lot of uncomfortable conversations with new drivers who are good enough to race in the regional series, but they invested in equipment which is not legal. so its better to buy the legal stuff from the beginning.

Good luck in getting going, and let us know how you get on!!

Tom
TLR 22-4 2.0, TLR 22 5.0 AC Elite,

Kindly Supported by Trackside Spares, TLR, Spektrum and Horizon Hobby
Old 03-12-2014

I have ran the older version of the trackstar speedo's and can not fault them. They are in both my TLR cars. Motor wise I am running a 8.5 and if geared right certainly doesn't lack speed.

In my 22 2.0 I have ran both saddles and shorty. I am currently running shorty behind the servo with the speedo behind. I have also ran saddles with the speedo on the battery strap. Both layouts to me have felt very good.

TLR - Horizon Hobby - Spektrum - Dynamite
Old 03-12-2014
Mad Member

Thanks guys appreciate the responses
Old 21-12-2014
Mad Member

Ive been looking at the batteries and i'm confused. The hard case shorties and saddles on hobby kings website seem to measure more than the gap between the mid motor and where the battery strap connects, am i looking at the wrong type of batteries?
Old 23-12-2014

I use the 4200 nanotech 2s lipo and this fits fine in my losing with savox 1251 low profile and the track star gen 2 speedo you linked above
-+-Absima CR4T-+-
-+- Futaba 3gr fs -+-
Old 23-12-2014

Good spot, if you attached the post for the battery hold down bar the right way, a shortie is a really tight squeeze. I turned the post through 180 degrees as its offset a little.

It makes it a bit of a stretch when fastening the strap down, but it fits just fine when you do this. There are probably loads of other bits you could use instead to make it all fit nice and snug.

Tom
TLR 22-4 2.0, TLR 22 5.0 AC Elite,

Kindly Supported by Trackside Spares, TLR, Spektrum and Horizon Hobby
Old 23-12-2014
Mad Member

Thanks guys