Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Hot Bodies / HPI

Old 09-04-2014

Send a message via MSN to Balders Send a message via Skype™ to Balders

Thanks Rich, have found out some more...

The shell is called "Type R" and will apparently be available at some point.

Mike Baldwin - Caldicot
Old 09-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroP View Post
I was intrigued and somewhat interested by this car but whats putting me off is 2 things
1) I'm a fairly novice driver, club and regional level only and far from an A final driver at that. would this be too technical for me?

2) Most of my racing is done in sports halls on polished slippy wood floor or a mix of carpet and varnished floor. is this going to be too much for the surfaces?

other than that it looks a great bit of kit
For me, I think the car is really simple to set up and compaired to some its not techical at all. I only run at club and regional level and I'm miles away from an A final (one day may be), don't let that your a novice put you off. If you want to run 4wd you won't got far wrong and I would rather run 4wd on a varnised floor than 2wd. There are cheaper options out there (XB4, 410)but if your wallet can handle it buy one, I think it will be the car to have..
Old 09-04-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzie View Post
For me, I think the car is really simple to set up and compaired to some its not techical at all. I only run at club and regional level and I'm miles away from an A final (one day may be), don't let that your a novice put you off. If you want to run 4wd you won't got far wrong and I would rather run 4wd on a varnised floor than 2wd. There are cheaper options out there (XB4, 410)but if your wallet can handle it buy one, I think it will be the car to have..
I had an XB4 and switched to a B44.2 as its easier to drive, setup and has far more support from fellow racers and parts at track side when something breaks.
I liked the XB4 it was quick, but it just felt like too much car for me. couldnt get my head round the inserts in the front and rear, and spares were more expensive than other brands.
Old 09-04-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post

It's safe to say the car was well worth the wait!

Look forward to seeing it go Rich
Does look proper nice - did you not miss the slipper then at RHR?

How does the centre diff feel - still not sure what it's supposed to do in a 10th scale....

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 09-04-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Can I ask, did you use 3mm spacer in the shock to remove the droop?

Does the car feel better with the copper roll bar on the front? I ran the black on Sunday
Yeah out of the box the car has the suspension travel of a 1/5th scale monster truck! I tried running it on kit setup but having so much droop made it roll and pitch a lot. The longer than usual shocks give you the option of limiting things exactly how you want as far as travel is concerned, I think a lot of people that run it will find a setup they like and stick with it but having the option of lots of droop if you've got a huge jump to land or something is still there.
One of the (many) things things that stood out driving it compared to my B44 was how little the chassis bottoms out. I could hit jumps and bumps at speeds that would have had the B44 slapping on the ground and double bouncing all over the place but it just took it no problem, even with the limited droop (it still has more than the 44 did).

I didn't play about with rollbars too much through the day, I just stuck with the kit copper/silver and changed other things as to me they felt about right. I know Nathan was messing about with different ones but ended up right back where I was, it felt more balanced and stable with the softer copper bar on the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys View Post
Look forward to seeing it go Rich
Does look proper nice - did you not miss the slipper then at RHR?

How does the centre diff feel - still not sure what it's supposed to do in a 10th scale....
No slipper wasn't really an issue, the drivetrain seems pretty solid (I was intentionally landing on full throttle/brake trying to be really hard on it). It did wheelie on certain parts of the track, but my 44 would have wheelied just the same with the same power and the Durango diffs fitted. On the subject of the drivetrain it would be a good idea to leave a freshly built car running on the bench for a while, out of the box the bearings have quite a bit of thick grease in them so when you first run it can feel a little tight to the point of being a bit like a drag brake when you let off the throttle. Mine had all day running and it's still freeing up, Nathan's car had an extra day's worth of testing on it and it felt nice and free to drive.

You can really feel the centre diff working on hairpins and tighter parts of the track, the car seems to flow effortlessly round tight corners without scrubbing speed at all. Also unlike solid prop 4wd's you can brake really hard and late and still have steering instead of the fronts locking and ploughing straight on. I think it helps accelerating through bumps too - for anyone that's driven the new run onto the banking at RHR on the left hand side of the track the car was easily stable enough to be flat out right from jumping out of the bombhole by the stepup, all the way through the banked corner and to the end of the straight.

Initial impressions compared to other car's I've driven...
Rotates on hairpins like a DEX410
Forward drive and stability like a B44
Goes through bumps like a XX4
Zero understeer
Feels as agile and light on it's feet as a 2wd
Easily the fastest thing I've ever driven on initial acceleration out of corners

I've only run the shorty car so far, Niggs was switching all day but mostly running the saddle car. At the end of the day we put my setup on his shorty car and both agree that's what we'll be running at Kidderminster. The saddle layout was safer to drive but the extra agility of the shorty layout was better overall.
Old 10-04-2014

I ran the car indoors (carpet) for the first time on Wednesday and I have to say it was amazing. I’ve still got to sort the droop out but I just can’t believe how much quicker I was than normal. The car was so easy to drive and handled everything I threw at it. I even slammed it into a post after a cross over jump (because I was getting too cocky and started to drive like a sausage) and it didn’t even phase it.

A good comparison for me was, the 2 top drivers at my local clubs are always a couple of laps quicker than me and I was only 1 lap behind and nearly on the same lap. Everyone couldn’t believe how quick the car changed direction and that it was so planted.

Please don't buy one I want to win my first A final
Old 11-04-2014

Gents, can we have some pics of your cars?
I feel like

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 11-04-2014

Here's a pic of mine that I took last night, I'll take one with the shell off later.

You know you want one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mansfield-20140410-00028.jpg (716.8 KB, 162 views)
Old 11-04-2014

Default D4/13

Mine came today! Feels & looks awesome! Can't wait to get some electrics in it & run it!

Old 12-04-2014

Send a message via MSN to Ashalak

Just a heads up for anyone on the hunt for one of these hen's teeth, BMM Racing has one on the shelf and available for purchase online
Old 15-04-2014

comes there an undertray with the kit ?

TLR 22 "1.0"
Old 15-04-2014

No undertray with the kit
Old 15-04-2014

This car is bullet proof, I slammed it really hard on Sunday and had no issues or breakages. I even had someone drive into the back of me, full speed while lining up to start racing (what a gentleman sausage) and it didn't break a thing. Most cars would have been in bits.

I've checked the car tonight and I've bent the rear wish bone bolt. If that's all its did after that, then happy days .

I've used 3mm spacers in the front shocks to remove the droop giving a shock length of 22mm and I've ordered some HB red springs to give them a go. I'll post my indoor set-up on Thursday if anyone is interested.
Old 17-04-2014

Default x gear springs

Anybody knows where i can get the x gear spring that ty use?
Old 18-04-2014
Mad Member

Think x-gear are Kyosho?
Old 22-04-2014
Mad Member

These buggies really look great... and I love the bodyshell!

As such, I'd like to use the D413 body myself. Could someone measure the following things for me?

Also, does the bodyshell parts come pre-cut or not?

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 26-04-2014

Default D413

Here's mine, just done a one coat wonder whilst my shell is at the painters.
Great looking car! Love it so far.

Old 27-04-2014

Default Weaknesses?

Hi, i am getting my kit very soon and i wonder if there is some weak spots that hasnt been covered in this thread? What about the servo horn? Has someone fitted a aluminium horn or know if there is any horn that fits?

Hubs are they strong?

Regards
Roy
Old 28-04-2014

Tip - The only thing I’ve done is strip a spur gear as the motor mount vibrated loose. I’ve now used some lock tight on the motor screws. Just thought I’d share this to prevent anyone else stripping one.
Old 28-04-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Tip - The only thing I’ve done is strip a spur gear as the motor mount vibrated loose. I’ve now used some lock tight on the motor screws. Just thought I’d share this to prevent anyone else stripping one.
Have you got the little grub screw that screws into the clamp over the motor cam in?

When I built mine (same applied on the B44 motor clamp) I put the cam into the motor mount, screwed the clamp down on top of it, covered the little grub screw in threadlock (plenty) and screwed it in just until it stops. Then remove the clamp and screw the grubscrew in another half turn or so, so it's just proud on the inside of the clamp. That way when you tighten the clamp down the grubscrew bites into the cam a bit and stops it moving. It also pushes the clamp off the cam a touch in the middle and puts a bit of bend into it, so you've got the clamp tryng to spring back straight working to hold the motor still too.

Current setup update, as the first setup sheet I posted but with the following changes...
Front shocks - 2x1.6mm piston, 40w AE oil, same red springs.
Rear shocks - 2x1.7mm piston, 27.5 AE oil, blue springs, inner on the arm.
Diff oils - 7k front, 300k centre, 5k rear.

I'll get a proper setup sheet done after Southport in case it evolves much further