Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 04-09-2013

Default dex 210 wing - making it last longer

Hi

I have replaced the stock wing on my dex210 as it was abit weak/flimsy. I purchased a 1mm lexan high clearance wing (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durango-De...item3f2895053a)
I want to make it stronger so it last longer, so i was thinking if i used something like glass fibre tape to tape around it, would that make the wing more durable?

I am only saying this after taking the dex210 to the track a few times, its showing its wear and tear. I have only had a 2wd for a few months (previously i had 1/8th electric buggy) so im still learning to drive it and i know crashing and rolling it less will help the wing to last longer.

waz
Old 04-09-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by waztrain View Post
Hi

I have replaced the stock wing on my dex210 as it was abit weak/flimsy. I purchased a 1mm lexan high clearance wing (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durango-De...item3f2895053a)
I want to make it stronger so it last longer, so i was thinking if i used something like glass fibre tape to tape around it, would that make the wing more durable?

I am only saying this after taking the dex210 to the track a few times, its showing its wear and tear. I have only had a 2wd for a few months (previously i had 1/8th electric buggy) so im still learning to drive it and i know crashing and rolling it less will help the wing to last longer.

waz
I've switched to these http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Old_Ca...SX2/U5115.html

More expensive but much stronger. Although nothing last for ever

Old 04-09-2013
Mad Member

I think this all depends where your wing broke/tore last time...:

- Adding a sheet of lexan above (and optionally a second one below) the wing will reinforce it around the wing mount and the mount holes.
- Buying a beefier wing helps to reduce how dramatically the wings tear of break, but sooner or later something has to give... so a beefier wing too will somehow buckle or tear at some point.
- A tear between gurney flap and side dam is something I find pretty harmless - I found if it tears there, it often delays further deterioration elsewhere on the wing So try and find a wing with a thicker base than the side dams and gurney flap - the LMR wing is a good example of this imo (it tore quite quickly between side dam and gurney flap, but it lasted for ages without further damage)!

On a slightly related note, I just don't fancy body clip wing mounts: Bad fit (often has too much play), needs mods to add reinforcing sheets and I've seen the clips fly off during races... You could modify the wing mount to use screws instead of body clips. Since the Durango mounts don't have a lot of meat on them for a screw mount, I've made a design to be 3D printed (it's arriving tomorrow):

I'll be testing it soon

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 04-09-2013

that looks nice, just to confirm that this wing is stronger then 1mm lexan wing i got to replace the stock wing? does it come pre cut?
Old 04-09-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Rudebits are best for wingage!
Old 04-09-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by waztrain View Post
that looks nice, just to confirm that this wing is stronger then 1mm lexan wing i got to replace the stock wing? does it come pre cut?

Yeah the wing comes as shown in the linked image. You just have to add your mounting holes.
Old 04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
I think this all depends where your wing broke/tore last time...:

- Adding a sheet of lexan above (and optionally a second one below) the wing will reinforce it around the wing mount and the mount holes.

On a slightly related note, I just don't fancy body clip wing mounts: Bad fit (often has too much play), needs mods to add reinforcing sheets and I've seen the clips fly off during races... You could modify the wing mount to use screws instead of body clips. Since the Durango mounts don't have a lot of meat on them for a screw mount, I've made a design to be 3D printed (it's arriving tomorrow):

I'll be testing it soon
If your test turn out well put me down for one of these wing mounts please ! I presume it's a straight fit on a MM set up 210 ?

Plus one for the LMR wing , been running them all season on my 210 & 410 and they've only just started to split !

I've got some RudeBits R1 wings to try next , anyone had experience with them?
KO Propo Espirit 4 stick radio

Dji Mavic Air2S
All round gadget freak !
Old 04-09-2013
Mad Member

Thanks guys I'll keep you up to date on the wing mount, and yes, it's a straight fit for the DEX210, MM only by the way.

As for the wings, I found the LMR Electra wing really nice: tough 1.5mm base around the mounts, about 0.8mm around the gurney and side dams.

The Rudebits R1 wing has the same thickness at it's base at 1.5mm. However, unlike the LMR wing it's also beefy around the gurney and side dams at 1mm. I've yet to test this one, but the sheer quantity of lexan is impressive - it should do well!

Which ever you pick though, it'll be better than the DEX210 wing: it's 0.75mm at the base and 0.5mm at the gurney and side dams.

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
I've switched to these http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Old_Ca...SX2/U5115.html

More expensive but much stronger. Although nothing last for ever

+1

I have these on both my DEX210 & DEX410, so far so good and I crash, a lot!
Durango DEX410R
Old 05-09-2013
Mad Member

A slightly related tip as people are concerned with fiddle clips on the wing.
Instead of using two of the small clips, use a single battery strap pin from the DEX410. You'll have to open up the holes in the wing mounts a bit, but its a fit and forget arrangement.

Old 05-09-2013

If you put an old rubber shock seal o ring under the wing before you put the pins in the wing will last a lot longer. Just gives a little flex.
Old 05-09-2013
Mad Member

I'm using O-Rings under and either a spare bit of wing to reinforce OR a thicker wing (not enough space to do everything!)

But the Rudebits and LMR wings are both far more durable than the stock ones (or any of the standard shell wings such as bulldog/finnisher) still on my first Rudebits on the 210 (managed to break on on the 410, took a few big crashes and several weeks tho!)

I might try modifying the stock 210 wing mounts to take an m3 bolt/nut arrangement at some point, see if thats any stronger, then modify my RDRP mounts to do the same.