Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 19-01-2015
Mad Member

Default Paint won't dry...

I recently painted a shell for a friend but have just found out that even after a week the paint still seems to be tacky and smudges. I used createx paint, dried with a hairdryer between coats, paint applied in fine coats and it seemed dry when I handed it over. Is it possible for paint to readsorb moisture? I understood that createx was heat cured so should be irreversible once dry?

Any suggestions?

I have done approx 10 shells now and haven't had this issue any other times so am at a loss?

On a slight separate note, what do people use to finish off as a final protective coat?

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 20-01-2015

I cant comment on the paint drying as i have never came across that, But for the protective coat I use Halfords standard Lacquer, I apply two fine coats after its been finished, I usually leave it overnight before applying the Lacquer.
Old 24-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandchris View Post
I recently painted a shell for a friend but have just found out that even after a week the paint still seems to be tacky and smudges. I used createx paint, dried with a hairdryer between coats, paint applied in fine coats and it seemed dry when I handed it over. Is it possible for paint to readsorb moisture? I understood that createx was heat cured so should be irreversible once dry?

Any suggestions?

I have done approx 10 shells now and haven't had this issue any other times so am at a loss?

On a slight separate note, what do people use to finish off as a final protective coat?
Was the shell used on an i.c. powered car, i.e. has glow fuel attacked the paint? A fine mist of oil residue and general gunk from being run whilst still relatively fresh paint, might cause such an issue - especially if you haven't sprayed some sort of barrier layer after finishing the painting.

cheers

J
Old 24-01-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianb View Post
Was the shell used on an i.c. powered car, i.e. has glow fuel attacked the paint? A fine mist of oil residue and general gunk from being run whilst still relatively fresh paint, might cause such an issue - especially if you haven't sprayed some sort of barrier layer after finishing the painting.

cheers

J
No, it was on an electric 10th scale. I usually put masking tape inside a shell after I've done it and this may have been how ive not had a problem in the past. I have now got some clear lacquer to finish shells off as the standard thin coats of createx are probably too fragile to have the Velcro stuck straight on

Thanks all for looking and for advice.

Yokomo YZ-2

Old 24-01-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

what lacquer are you using? it may be attacking the paint. with normal full-sized car paints lacquer can cause problems. water biased pains can be quite fragile in there unprotected state and lacquer quite ferocious

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 24-01-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
what lacquer are you using? it may be attacking the paint. with normal full-sized car paints lacquer can cause problems. water biased pains can be quite fragile in there unprotected state and lacquer quite ferocious
What perfect timing - I hadn't yet tried the lacquer until today when I put a coat on a shell I did last week. All of the pair is fine except the 2mm wide outline round the windows which seems to have puckered slightly. This doesn't show on outside of shell, but the appearance inside looks a bit rippled

Yokomo YZ-2