Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 12-10-2018

Default B6 Torque steer

All,
Any ideas why I get torque steer left when I nail the throttle.

I have a B6D setup with LRP 8.5t running a laydown box and gear diff.

When I feather throttle its ok but on hard acceleration it pulls left badly.

Ive stripped it down to check for poor or incorrect setup and all is consistent.

Any ideas.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-1275 View Post
Ive stripped it down to check for poor or incorrect setup and all is consistent.

Any ideas.
Strip it down and check more carefully.

Do all four suspension arms swing completely freely, no bent pins, shocks absolutely even left to right, nothing touching or otherwise binding on the drive shafts, nothing touching the diff (burrs inside the gearbox) no gears cracked or bearings binding/worn out, all the right spacers in place (between bearing pairs, does the B6 have crush tubes in the hubs?), chassis not twisted? Half shafts put together properly (some have two possible set ups, long or short, others have two set ups, wrong and right....... a mismatched pair will make life exciting) nothing overtightened (can overtighten wheel nuts fairly easily, makes the wheel bind on the hub in some cases.)

I had the same on a B4.1, spent ages chasing it round the chassis. Was a very very slightly bent rear shock shaft. So under acceleration the car was squatting cockeyed and taking off sideways. Had to lie down on the floor behind it and watch..........
Old 12-10-2018

Thanks for that, will watch close at the track on Saturday see if anything strikes as obvious. May swap shocks over and see if it moves to pull right.
Old 12-10-2018
Mad Member

Oh, if you've raced on a astro or carpet, make sure you've not got a thread wrapped round a sub axle or wedged into a bearing.

Had that on my 8th this summer. Gentle trundle off the line all would be good, until it either got airborne or gunned. Then all hell would break loose.......
Old 13-10-2018

my guess the shocks are not the same length, or, internal spacers in shocks not the same left to right.
Reedy
DJ KIRKY