Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Trade Room > Wanted

Old 21-11-2010

Default Decent 1/10 4WD Buggy

Hi all, my son wants one of the above for Xmas and will be racing it locally to begin with so would require something that would be reasonable spec.
Don't want to spend a fortune incase he doesn't stick at it but he will want to be atleast slightly competitive.

Andy.
Old 21-11-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

what area is locally?

does it have to be 4 wheel drive
Old 21-11-2010

We are from the Durham area and visited Seaham to see the NEAM guys today, very helpful.

Doesn't have to be 4WD just thought it would be easier for him to handle, I'm open to suggestions being a total novice.
Old 21-11-2010

I don't know how old your son is, but when my 7 year old wanted to go buggy racing I bought him a HPI savage. It may not be up there with a CAT SX or a Durango, but it was just right for teaching him the basics. First time out he did one lap in 5 mins. It took a long time to develop the skills needed to be fast.

More importantly for £180 you get everything except a decent battery charger and the thing was indistructable. We race indoors at Falkirk RRC. There is no run off at the end of the straight. My son rattled his HPI off every piece of the building, often at high speed and nothing ever broke. It impressed everyone.

Now that he can drive properly (and regularly beats his dad with 13- 14 laps), he has a CAT SX that he saved up for! It cost me nothing.

Hope this helps.
Old 21-11-2010

Thanks for the advice, he's 12 and I looked at the Ansmann Mad Rat originally but I see a lot of people saying go for a 2nd hand B4 if going 2WD, spares aplenty it seems.
Then we were advised 4WD may be a better option as it will be a bit easier for him to control.

We just want to give him a good base to start from and who knows... Dad might get interested too!
Old 21-11-2010
Mad Member

If you want my advice, then i would get a 4WD, you are right, it will be easier for your son to drive as long as you are very sensible with the motor you decide to use.
Try and get a 10.5 motor or maybe slower for starters.
You might like to check out Teeside club aswell as i think they are settled in their new venue now.
I used to be a member of the 'Seaham club' just a pity of the race start times.
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 21-11-2010
Mad Member

As if by magic. A Cat SX has just come up in the For sale section aswell as a Novak speedo Combo. If i were you i would be getting that one before it goes!!
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 21-11-2010

This has gotta be one of the best deals around - http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/car...2-4Ghz__10465/

Awesome car ....

Awesome price .....

Easy and cheap to buy spares ....

and if he doesn't like it you'll be able to sell it on for not much less than you paid for it !!!
Old 21-11-2010

Thanks guys, having a look as we speak!
Old 21-11-2010
YORCC legend

I'm a member of the York club and I wouldn't recommend buying that B4.1 brushless for a total beginner. We've have a couple of newcomers / returners start racing with these and they've very quickly found that, being brushless, it's a bit much to start with. I'd recommend something like the LRP Blast. It's 4wd and comes with a stock 540 motor and 2.4 gHz radio for about £140.

That's just my opinion but one based on seeing guys in their 20s, who've raced a few years ago, struggle with a B4.1 with brushless and switch the motor for a 540 just to relearn the ropes. Worth thinking about, I'd say.
Old 22-11-2010

The CAT SX is a good car and the one on the sale section looks great. This is what my son and I have. But don't fooled into thinking the once you've bought a buggy that's the end of the expense. You son is going to break it and the accumulated cost of wishbones, shock towers etc adds up. Believe me! Plus tyres, broken wheels.

As for batteries, Lipo are great. the Intellect brand you can buy from HK are great and half the cost of batteries in the UK.

Just trying to be helpful...

PS there is a big difference between the old CAT SX and new CAT SX II. The newer version does not have some of the aluminum part of the suspension as far as aI can tell.
Old 22-11-2010

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone!

I have gone against what I was saying and bought this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190470188852

If it turns out to be too much for him then I will get him something else and keep this for myself, method in the madness.

Again, thank you all for everything, I'm sure I will be pestering you all for advice on a regular basis.
Old 22-11-2010
Mad Member

ive had a look at the lrp blast as im planning on getting 1 they look pretty strong heres 1 on ebay with an extra battery too http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LRP-S10-Blast-...0#ht_500wt_949

cant go wrong for that price also modelsport stock some spares for it check with your local shop and see if they do spares if so then worth a look