Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 29-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
There is only the motor and gearbox in front of the front axle, and this is a proven layout that has been used in previous successful fwd buggies, You can find links to them in my post on the first page of this thread. As for handling, they do require a different driving style as they never spin out. According to Blooclods FF build you coast into the corner and once turned in just power all the way through the corner.

Although Bloodclod has closed his youtube account, I have found a copy of his video of his FF in action and uploaded it here.
that does look amazingly stable through the corner - and like you say, he just nails it past the apex. pretty impressive. looks like it jumps well too.
Old 30-06-2012
Mad Member

Thanks for posting that terry.sc! I have seen the video and it's good to see this footage is still out there: It's really hard to find pictures of FF buggies in general, let alone video footage!

By the way, terry, about the balance: It indeed looks good, but if you look at the footage of Grahoo's buggy (posted earlier in this topic) you'll see it appears to have a more stable rear end (weight and milder motor?) - Whether that's a good thing or not I don't know (as the oversteer may help a lot on turn in), but during testing I will sure play with adding and shifting weights to see how the car responds
Old 01-07-2012
Mad Member

With more weight forwards Bloodclods buggy is less stable and you can see the rear end stepping out several times, but the fwd means it isn't going to spin out as you don't let off the throttle. More rear weight will make it more stable and easier to drive, but more likely to wheelspin under acceleration. So less rear weight is faster, but a little bit harder to drive.
Old 01-07-2012

well i am going to have to build something..... fwd buggy or fwd rally car, that is the question...... with the motor hanging out over the front to try and get traction, i would have thought you would then want the weight of the battery central on the chassis to make sure the back suspension actually has something to work with. also it might be worth noting that the maxxum was better with 4wd fronts on all corners, it had more traction with the narrower tyres, but also i suppose was mid rather than front motored so had less weight over the front wheels.
Old 03-07-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgydiy View Post
well i am going to have to build something..... fwd buggy or fwd rally car, that is the question...... with the motor hanging out over the front to try and get traction, i would have thought you would then want the weight of the battery central on the chassis to make sure the back suspension actually has something to work with. also it might be worth noting that the maxxum was better with 4wd fronts on all corners, it had more traction with the narrower tyres, but also i suppose was mid rather than front motored so had less weight over the front wheels.

And me, want to build a FF rally car, getting some good inspiration off this thread
Old 03-07-2012

i think that i will be doing the rally car, or maybe even both lol....

forgot to say earlier, has anyone tried messing with the castor angle on a fwd car, i bet it could make a fair bit of difference to traction out of corners
Old 04-07-2012
Mad Member

If you want to build a fwd rally car, you've already got plenty of options. Tamiya already make fwd touring car chassis but they also make a 4wd rally chassis with a front mounted motor, the XV-01. If you want it fwd all you will need to do is leave out the drive belt between front and rear gearboxes.
Old 05-07-2012

that'd be boring, have to create it yourself!! have lots of tc3 front suspensions parts so would probably go the tc3/b3 direction or similar, as for a buggy, have been rooting through my parts to see what i can use, problem being that most of my 4wd front end parts date back to pre 94, with most originating in the eighties!

my work wouldnt be to the standard of what is in this thread, or probably to bloodclod standards either, but will probably be a little different, will put something up when i get going, and stop polluting this great thread!!
Old 07-07-2012

Looks awesome! It appears that you've left space inbetween the rear arm mounting blocks for a stick pack. If you decide that short lipo is the way to go, I would consider increasing the size of the blocks/arms to take up the entire rear of the chassis. The arms are super long levers, and they might not survive a side impact or cartwheel well.
Old 09-07-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf View Post
Looks awesome! It appears that you've left space inbetween the rear arm mounting blocks for a stick pack. If you decide that short lipo is the way to go, I would consider increasing the size of the blocks/arms to take up the entire rear of the chassis. The arms are super long levers, and they might not survive a side impact or cartwheel well.
I understand your concerns - I have the same concerns. The reason there is no one-piece rear block is because I need some place to take the battery out. I've had a look at different ways to do so (side, rear, rear and tilting upward being the main ones) and I ended up with this setup.

I hope it holds up. If it keeps breaking then some revisions have to be made, but I think the carbon plates at the edges will massively reinforce the blocks. By how much we'll see once the car hits the track
Old 18-07-2012
Mad Member

So, it has been a while without updates... Why is that? Well here it goes:

The finished design. Finally!

I've been working on a lot of tiny revisions that are not really relevant to post up. The only two big things I can mention are the addition of the rear wing and the fact that I finalized the front suspension geometry. To be more specific, I combined the approximate suspension articulation and matching ground clearance of the TRF201's rear end with that of the full travel of the damper by adjusting the geometry of the rocker arms:

The plan is to use a Cab forward shell - possibly a cut B44.1 Bulldog shell (like in the first picture) - for this prototype. More pictures and info will hopefully follow soon: I'm currently busy arranging parts and hardware to build the car, which clearly they haven't taught me enough about at school
Old 18-07-2012
Administrator

Amazing!
Great to meet you in Belgium mate - and I look forward to seeing a running proto!
Old 19-07-2012
Mad Member

Your 3d computer drawing skills are amazing .
Very interesting thread.
The car,the 3d computer skills,the ideas=engineering perfection.

Thanks.
Old 19-07-2012

What an awesome thread and I am looking forward to developments in your project!

Be glad to offer what little I know on FF buggies if you need.

Glad to see a video of mine still survived. Youtube closed my account and deleted all the videos without warning sometime ago...
Old 19-07-2012
Mad Member

Thanks for the great response! I'm really looking forward to the build and to testing it! If my FF01/DF01 FF Buggy was anything to go by, this car should be a blast to drive!

@BloodClod: There were two things I was wondering about your car when I saw the video. First of all, what motor did you run in it, or have you tried several motors? (And if so, what worked best for you?) And secondly, do you recall what other cars were running around it in the video? As it seems you're absolutely flying past them!

@Jimmy: Thanks! It was great being at the Kampenhout GP and hanging around at 'your' corner of the track! I hope to build the car next week, and I'll drive it soon. If things look promising it will entirely replace my TRF201 for racing (for the time span that I can't afford electronics for both cars, that is) and it may also see action at events like the Kampenhout GP!
Old 30-07-2012

Very nice work indeed. Ive been thinking about this myself but came to the conclusion that it would be very hard if not imposible to get the grip needed to clear big jumps with a short runup. No Im not so shure. Cant waith for some action pics
Old 01-08-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikNor View Post
Very nice work indeed. Ive been thinking about this myself but came to the conclusion that it would be very hard if not imposible to get the grip needed to clear big jumps with a short runup. No Im not so shure. Cant waith for some action pics
I guess I'll find out soon enough if it's true than it's difficult to clear jumps with a short run up: The track of my club has that I have to say they aren't huge jumps, but the run up is next to zero!

Anyway, I got some nice updates! I collected the parts from the post office this morning... I've currently got an assembled car in front of me with working suspension! I'll take some good pictures tomorrow when it's light again, for now I'll share some pictures from the build:

The Printed parts and the carbon goodies. Note: On the right are some printed plate parts. Once the first one or two test drives have been done I can get these made from carbon (hence, if any adjustments are needed, they can be done now without wasting money on another new carbon part and throwing the old one away).

Notice the right driveshaft isn't in it's outdrive? The diff nut and spring are slightly in the way, despite all the CAD work! I can only hope the guy who I bought this 201 from has built the diff wrong (which I have to admit is quite easy, the manual isn't clear about it that you need to flip the diff around at some stage in the diff build).

There are a dozen revisions I made on the parts, from small dremeling to potential geometry changes, but overall it looks pretty good: I even have more clearance between all the different links on the front than I expected!
Old 01-08-2012

i love your work.
i can't wait to see it on track
cars: 2xdurango dex210/dex410r, 3x cougar sv, losi 22, tardis, cr2 Atomic Carbon, xxx-cr, custom xxx-jv, asso b4, cat sx1/3, losi 8ight-e, hobao hyper 8.5, traxxas e-maxx, traxxas mini-erevo, serpent s400, mini-z's, lrp shark, ..
wanted: pred x10/11 and AC s2
Old 01-08-2012

Truly amazing!

I really need to invest in a 3d printer now I think...

Edit: Is it ABS plastic?
Old 02-08-2012

I can't believe that it was cheaper to print those parts than machine them? You have your own printer I assume? Fantastic work. Interesting choice of flipping the front and rear shocks. I hadn't noticed that from the drawings.