Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 18-04-2013

Default Cannon SLR Config Help

I've been taking action shots for a while now with my Cannon EOS 1100d but I think the quality would improve if I were to optimise my settings. I currently have it running in TV mode with a 500mm Tamron lens.

What kind of settings should I have configured to best suit taking RC action shots? Any help / tips would be great!

Thanks,
Old 18-04-2013

Send a message via MSN to D20MCK

Inside or outside?
Old 18-04-2013

usually outside but I occasional attempt inside shots. So both really.
Old 18-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Keep the shutter speed higher than 1/<Focal Length>. e.g. if you are using a 300mm lens, keep the shutter speed at least over 1/300sec, so 1/500 ideally (@ 300mm). Adjust the aperture and ISO to allow enough light in to maintain the required fast shutter speed. If not, you will get blurred shots as the shutter speed isn't enough to stop the action.
Indoors, this is not always possible without decent (read expensive primes or bigger than f2.8 zooms) lenses and lots of light.

You'll struggle to get sharp shots with that 500mm tamron indoors. Is it the f5.6-f6.3 lems? Outdoors, you will need lots of light, and maintain a fast shutter speed, ideally 1/1000 or more.

You' be better getting closer to the action and using a decent 200mm lens

Enable your continuous shooting, you may catch one in focus.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 18-04-2013

Sorry it's a 300mm (Tamron 70-300mm f4/5.6 DI LD Macro). Thanks very much, its been very helpful.

I'm able to choose up to 1/4000 for the shutter speed shall I keep it at 1/500 or go higher?
Old 18-04-2013
Mad Member

Follow neallewis and up the iso setting the 1100 is good for that, I have just been following a thread somewhere else and this page was recomended, and no I don't understand it more than to say you possibly won't notice the change in the picture at 800 and can push to 1600 before you may, this will allow faster shutter speeds, (every thing is a factor of 2).

http://www.fredmi.fr/en/rebel-xs/2-l...eos-1000d.html

If you are shooting at 1000/sec and can keep the lens aperture in the middle (say F8), to give you some depth of field, then that's the best you can do, try different settings in the street, passing cars etc, see how they compare.
Old 18-04-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by k£v!n View Post
Sorry it's a 300mm (Tamron 70-300mm f4/5.6 DI LD Macro). Thanks very much, its been very helpful.

I'm able to choose up to 1/4000 for the shutter speed shall I keep it at 1/500 or go higher?
The quicker you go with the shutter speed the higher the ISO will go to keep the image correctly exposed, and the grainier your image will get. It's a fine balance depending on the weather/lighting.
Old 19-04-2013

Thanks very much guys. Really helpful!