Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 24-10-2018
Mad Member

Does anyone have RCCA magazines left ????

There is an pic in there somewhere of the HPI ZXR chassi

mvh isobarik
Old 26-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
1 cut, 1 to go
Old 04-11-2018

Well, got my Lazer ready to go.
Not a faithful restore by any means, just something to go racing with
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lazer 2.jpg (327.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Lazer 1.jpg (333.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-11-2018

Found the following page on google. Unfortunately all in Chinese but can be translated. Does anybody know what brand the 4th chassis plate is...HPI perhaps???

www.rcfans.com/thread-290568-1-1.html

Last edited by type49rs; 05-11-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-11-2018
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRob View Post
Nice I'm guessing your using Alcyons layshaft but what slipper is that?
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 05-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by type49rs View Post
Found the following page on google. Unfortunately all in Chinese but can be translated. Does anybody know what brand the 4th chassis plate is...HPI perhaps???

Nope, looks like the TV chassis for the pure ten car, quite possibly a zxs but see no kick up
Answer UK team driver
Old 05-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Nice I'm guessing your using Alcyons layshaft but what slipper is that?
Yep, layshaft from Alcyons. Just the AE VTS slipper.
The spur gear is AE 93t 48dp originally off the SC10 4x4, I preferred it as the smaller gear gives more clearance for the shell until I get a spur gear cover and another shell painted.
Guess I should back it off a bi though as it wheelies now
Old 06-11-2018

And then there were 2! Off to their owners today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_20181106_140147_HDR.jpg (1.36 MB, 18 views)
Old 06-11-2018

Quote:
Yep, layshaft from Alcyons. Just the AE VTS slipper.
The spur gear is AE 93t 48dp originally off the SC10 4x4, I preferred it as the smaller gear gives more clearance for the shell until I get a spur gear cover and another shell painted.
Guess I should back it off a bi though as it wheelies now
Big time as the belt will snap / shred if you dont. Set it so its a fractional slip from start. Don't over do it as you'll ruin the slipper pads. Picture quality wasn't spectacular so wasn't sure if it was a vts but the spur did look smaller, but be warned may cause issues to the motor due to a bigger ratio. Still game on and have fun.
Answer UK team driver
Old 08-11-2018

Quote:
Big time as the belt will snap / shred if you dont. Set it so its a fractional slip from start. Don't over do it as you'll ruin the slipper pads. Picture quality wasn't spectacular so wasn't sure if it was a vts but the spur did look smaller, but be warned may cause issues to the motor due to a bigger ratio. Still game on and have fun.

Welshy,

A spur gear with 93 teeth is only 7% smaller than the stock one. Can this not simply be compensated by going down 1-2 teeth on the pinion, with the benefit of having a reduced rotating mass?

Ubi
Old 09-11-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Looks awsome paintjob top notch body with inbuilt gearcover soo cool do you have more of those bodies ???

Med vänlig hälsning, iso

Last edited by isobarik; 09-11-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by type49rs View Post

not sure awsome find

the carbon looks similar to the hpi upperdeck so i cant rule i out but i cant say that it is an hpi chassi. what i recall the hpi chassi was for the zx/zxr not the mk2 and that chassi is drilled for the mk2 i guess due to angled batt bars
so the topdeck wouldnt fit. But i cant say neither is or isnt. awsome find any way even douh the text make it hard too read.

What i recall regarding the hpi chassi, it was sleeker like the chassi in the pic but had been lightened between the cells. so i would say if my memory serves me right that TF3R chassi has the look of it without the lump for the servo on the tf3r

but i have seen more then one race car that has had theire chassi cut like that so like atushi haras lazer zx car you know hara hpi ????

on the other hand crusaderlyf i have been on him regarding the hpi chassi so could be it if my memory doesent spook me
would love to have the rcca that has an pic of it.

mvh iso

Last edited by isobarik; 09-11-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
And then there were 2! Off to their owners today
ahhh so cool

mvh iso
Old 09-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
Welshy,

A spur gear with 93 teeth is only 7% smaller than the stock one. Can this not simply be compensated by going down 1-2 teeth on the pinion, with the benefit of having a reduced rotating mass?

Ubi
With this car I think I based my ratios on 1.5 teeth to a half pinion tooth so if your after less punch I would gear up so if your wheeling I would suggest gearing up or lowering the esc settings, plus also helps setting the slipper correctly as well as it makes a huge difference as I've proven when developing the layshaft.
Answer UK team driver

Last edited by Welshy40; 09-11-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2018

Quote:
With this car I think I based my ratios on 1.5 teeth to a half pinion tooth so if your after less punch I would gear up so if your wheeling I would suggest gearing up or lowering the esc settings, plus also helps setting the slipper correctly as well as it makes a huge difference as I've proven when developing the layshaft.
I am confused, when you say 1.5 teeth for 0.5 pinion tooth, do you mean that you use a 33 teeth pinion with you 100T spur?

This is highly geared compared to what I have with my brushed motor. Is it because brushless motors have much more torque?
Old 10-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
I am confused, when you say 1.5 teeth for 0.5 pinion tooth, do you mean that you use a 33 teeth pinion with you 100T spur?

This is highly geared compared to what I have with my brushed motor. Is it because brushless motors have much more torque?
Well I'm using a 19 with a 4.5 and normally it's 2 pinion teeth per wind up for this motor but it's all down to you and how you feel. The car shouldn't wheely with a standard gearbox, even though I did manage it with a ten double corally in the 90's. The belt is loose in the gearbox and tensions too much and stretches under immense stress due to not having tensioner in there and then the belt frays meaning a new belt and pulley will be needed.I've designed a tensioner for the current gearbox but am contemplating a 3 d design with the tension post sections built in thus resolving everyone's problems.

If you could tension your belt then great, but still the same problem as with my cars gearbox with all the tensioners i get the same problem with testing, car can't handle the power without a properly set slipper. Don't forget the car was designed for brushed motors and was perfect for that but I've had to redevelop it to work with the torque from these brushless motors and had to put ceramic balls in the diffs, tungsten carbide thrust race in the diffs, ceramic bearings throughout the car, stainless steel screws and redesigned the tub chassis for more strength and with Rama's help we designed the layshaft for a B4 slipper which then evolved to a vts. I tested it at Maritime raceway and started off three laps off the pace, after gradual layshaft development and working out which slipper worked best I found out I was two laps better with the B4 slipper and with the vts 2.5 laps better, then it was the layshaft to finalise as it never lasted in the prototype stages, in fact I only ever finished one race event which meant we were still off the pace so tweaking the design was needed to get back on the pace. I've gone on a bit and hope I make sense but ask away any questions and will try my best to help.
Answer UK team driver

Last edited by Welshy40; 10-11-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2018

KRob
If your running fast motors, belt tensioners are a good idea to extend belt life. I've been racing my lazer zxr for the past 4 years now and never had to change any belts/pulleys (6 meetings a year on eos carpet)
Using a 6.5t brushless 24 pinion ,standard spur, original diff balls etc and layshaft set up. The only thing I've changed from original in the drive system is the added belt tensioners and the slipper pads , I'm using ae b4 pads.

Last edited by rob m; 10-11-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobarik View Post
Looks awsome paintjob top notch body with inbuilt gearcover soo cool do you have more of those bodies ???

Med vänlig hälsning, iso
Ta, that was my basic paintjob I used around 15 years. It looks good because I didn't paint it
I can't be certain but I think the shell is an old Racecraft one, not something I'd picked up new unfortunately. I will be getting a gear cover to be able to get my more modern colours painted. But the simplicity of the all in one shell is so much better IMO.

Got the chance to run the car today at the Dudley winter series and it lived up to expectations. Once I'd got a balance with the tyres I could push it quite hard (although still not to modern levels by a fair bit) and it handled it very well with a 7.5t motor (geared 23t/93t).
Thanks for the info on belts but I won't be driving it on EOS carpet so that will take a fair bit of the strain out, I'll modulate it with my thumb
Old 12-11-2018

Quote:
Ta, that was my basic paintjob I used around 15 years. It looks good because I didn't paint it
I can't be certain but I think the shell is an old Racecraft one, not something I'd picked up new unfortunately. I will be getting a gear cover to be able to get my more modern colours painted. But the simplicity of the all in one shell is so much better IMO.

Got the chance to run the car today at the Dudley winter series and it lived up to expectations. Once I'd got a balance with the tyres I could push it quite hard (although still not to modern levels by a fair bit) and it handled it very well with a 7.5t motor (geared 23t/93t).
Thanks for the info on belts but I won't be driving it on EOS carpet so that will take a fair bit of the strain out, I'll modulate it with my thumb
I just received my shaft and only have 90T spurs at the moment. I'm running a 10.5T and the smallest pinion that will reach the spur is a 28T. I'm surprised even with a 93T spur, that the 23T Pinion will mesh. I need to find some bigger spurs asap!!
Old 12-11-2018

Thanks Welshy for the reply,
Where could I get this custom B4 slipper layshaft?
Can I use a brushless motor without a rear belt tensioner? If yes, would 13.5T be good to start on a carpet track? I am a "pro" basher, but still a beginner racer.
Thanks
Ubi