Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 18-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Which car?

I'm looking to get an electric rallycross to run at my regionals this year but what is the best car?

IMHO none of the major players have fully embraced 8th electric and are nearly converting their nitro buggys to electric. The best layouts are seen in the budget cars, Team BSD, Next, Thunder Tiger G8 but are any of the budget cars able to compete against the big guns?

Anyone know what's winning?
Old 18-05-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

I converted my Hyper 8.5 with an Ansmann conversion, 4S battery and a Tekin 8th brushless system, if I can get a pinion to survive, gonna give it a bash up Talywain. Cars handle totally differently to the nitro engined brother.

Also, charging... if your charger is rated at 50W, you will be there a while!
Old 18-05-2011

I can sort you out with an MBX6 which you could convert, in exchange for your S4!
Old 18-05-2011

RC8E, you know it makes sense!!
Old 18-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've been playing with Pauls Thunder Tiger S3 with a RC8e conversion and it goes really well but it weighs several tonnes so wondering if there is a better option

@Barry, I'll keep my S4 thanks ;-)
Old 18-05-2011

The reps bringing in the rtr thunder tiger 1/8 leccy tomorrow. It has the plastic chassis which is miles lighter but never going to be as tough as the ali chassis.
RC8 E doesn't have much of a weight difference to the S3. Power and run time are probably the key points in this category and of course they gotta be tough.
Wrca rounds for 1/8 leccy are apparently going to be 12mins
should manage that even with the ali chassis S3
Old 18-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I watched the YouTube vid of the G3 at Nuremberg andit looks like it has an ally chassis with plastic tops. I do like the look of it though. I agree on the weight of the rc8e, over 3.5 kilos is too heavy. Is he leaving the car with you?
Old 19-05-2011

my losi is far easier to drive than the nitro one, i would look at the electric mugen, like the look of that
Old 19-05-2011

Weight really isn't an issue Craig, on a 4S pack and a 2050Kv motor, it goes like a scalded cat and duration isn't to much of an issue.
Old 19-05-2011

either a losi 2.0 eu or an rc8be!!!!

Reg has got a vorza rolling chassis for sale
Old 19-05-2011
Mad Member

As above really, i converted an 8ight EU and its brilliant. Handles really nice and easy to drive too.

By far the best car ive ever bought for outdoor racing.
Old 19-05-2011

Get a slipper clutch setup in there too. It made one i saw look a million times better and not just a tyre eater
Old 19-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It's all very well having power but if it's to heavy to get it's arse moving it'll annoy me, the S3e I was running spends a lot of time spinning Tyres or slipping diffs. I like the sound of that slipper doofa Griff, but it's £100 oof!
Old 19-05-2011

This might be what your looking for, its a bit more like a big 10th car ....

http://www.hbeurope.com/kit.php?partNo=67536
Old 19-05-2011

No mate he took it with him. It is indeed a slim ali chassis with the plastic surround.
The top plastic can be removed and a slot is there for velcro fixing instead, using just one strap.
Not a bad deal though as you get an all in set for £375 retail, which includes the computorised 2.4ghz radio and the same motor speedo as the EP8 we are using in my converted S3
He did offer me a special deal for you if you wanted one to race instead of building your own from my shop stock.
I'm sure you could make your own slipper set up. If you made one for the shark an 1/8th scale should be a doddle!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'm more confused than I was when I started the thread now, thanks a lot LMAO.

Axe, you bringing reg to club Friday? Can you bring your leccy cars for me to have a look at? I need to speak to reg about something aswell.

I have been really tempted with a G3 since I first saw pics, will have to have a chat Paul. I do like the layout of the G3 and a slipperential should fit straight in And I do like something a bit different
Old 20-05-2011

I'm not at club friday. it's the wife's brothers wedding weekend. but me and reg will be at taly sunday afternoon.

i will give you a ring later.
Old 20-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Paint View Post
It's all very well having power but if it's to heavy to get it's arse moving it'll annoy me
Trust me that isn't the case, so long as you have good electrics (castle, tekin, etc) and good batteries, when you're racing it becomes an exercise in trying to tame the power to make you faster, even with a buggy that is a lot heavier than a nitro, the added benefit of the weight is that the buggy is more stable and can find a lot more grip in slippy conditions.
Old 20-05-2011

my losi has a slipper in it, the previous owner had bought all the bits to convert the car. it is far better to drive with the slipper rather than the standard centre diff, it stops it popping wheelies randomly when it hits a grippy bit. the slipper isnt the proper slipperential, it is identical in construction and slipperential pads fit it, but it is blue, so somebody somwhere makes a copy, whether it is available here i dont know, bought my car secondhand when on holiday in canada. As for weight, mine is very slightly lighter than the nitro burner. elec losi has 1400kv heli motor, mamba monster, 6 cell 4500mah lipo, nitro losi has caster grenade engine and all the other normal nitro bits.
Old 20-05-2011

Thumbs up Losi 8 2.0

I run a Losi 8ight 2.0 with a speed passion 1/8th speedo & 1700KV Losi motor - the buggy is awesome with plenty of grunt on the tight & twisty bits, but could do with a little more top end for the longer straights. I run 4 cell (14.8v) lipo's as that is the maximum the speedo can handle.
We were limited to a 12 minute final at Ledbury a few weeks ago because i was unsure of my maximum run time from a 5000mah battery - of which i have now been able to setup my speedo to easily cover a 15 minute final (and hopefully a 20 minute run with my new 6000mah lipo).