Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 23-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The Teeside Euro's was a great track, always enjoyed it - Think we had a National there the year before too... The Banked corner was legendary!

I remember in 2wd at the Euro's a distinct shortage of Slim Yellow Mini's being available, Schumacher had not long before released a rounded profile Slim Mini that looked like a 4wd front but they just weren't up to the job as just made the cars too aggressive...

That was my first Euro's and I remember running the Losi XX in 2wd and making the B only to be taken out by Geoffrey Petit as he had crashed then to get off a pipe gave it full beans only to come down the track the wrong way straight into me haha (Didn't laugh at the time)! 4wd i was running the Yokomo MX4 and qualified 6th, only problem was there were no Medial Pro tyres left at all so spent each leg trying to get something that worked but no chance! I was just pleased to be in the A at 16 to be honest.
Old 08-11-2011

WOW! awesome pictures James, find some more! I LOL'd at the young mike parker and mark durrant
Old 10-11-2011

Haha I just found myself in the Euros picture at the bottom of the straight chatting to Derick Bradbury judging by the colours of the jackets!!

I do remember those rounded 2wd mini spike tyres infect I still have them in my tyre bag - green blue and yellow! Pointless unless your racing on wet grass with TR32's on the back!!! Think they only brought them out to try and make those awefull Fireblades turn in!!!!
Old 12-11-2011
Mad Member

WOW Stepney Lane brings back some memorys

Trader feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25152
Old 16-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Moore View Post
WOW! awesome pictures James, find some more! I LOL'd at the young mike parker and mark durrant
Aye no mistaking my chubby cheeks and looking pretty shifty for a 12 year old!! Nice to see ya on here Matt, not seen you since our stint with the tourers a few years ago...

Looking at the Rawmarsh pics it does bring back a lot of memories and old faces, happy days
Old 20-11-2011
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Couple more:

Rotherham

Hull

Old 21-11-2011

Hey, think i was in your 4wd heat at the Euros nick, Can remember the Medial Pro tyres as they were banned from the Nationals and regionals after, Im sure i still have all the print outs of my heats and B final in a folder somewhere, may have to dig them out.
Old 22-11-2011

99% sure the guy in the red Schumacher jacket marshaling at the Teeside Euros is me!
Old 22-11-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev B View Post
Hey, think i was in your 4wd heat at the Euros nick, Can remember the Medial Pro tyres as they were banned from the Nationals and regionals after, Im sure i still have all the print outs of my heats and B final in a folder somewhere, may have to dig them out.
I remember it all too well Kev, those damn Tyres were a nightmare - I didn't manage to get any but I remember people having to not only cut the diameter down but having to cut the width and also shorten the length of the spikes too... Amazing what was allowed when you look back...

By the time the Finals came we were desperate to try something that worked so with Dave Duggan's help cut and shut some M3 Step-pin's hoping they may work as well as the Medial Pro's but they were useless in the practise final so we had to stick to BB Pink spikes but they were just nowhere near as quick.

Funny how you remember these things though hey haha.

I really should dig out all my old photo's and stuff....
Old 22-11-2011
Mad Member

Wow,brings back some memory's. Thanks James. I'll have a dig around see if I can find some of my old pics.
Old 22-11-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Paul - yeah it looks like you!!

I remember those Medial Pro's at the Euros - but went up there on both 2wd and 4wd finals days. I didn't race, but I'm sure I remember helping James Lovell "construct" a set
Old 22-11-2011
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Goodall View Post
I remember it all too well Kev, those damn Tyres were a nightmare - I didn't manage to get any but I remember people having to not only cut the diameter down but having to cut the width and also shorten the length of the spikes too... Amazing what was allowed when you look back...

By the time the Finals came we were desperate to try something that worked so with Dave Duggan's help cut and shut some M3 Step-pin's hoping they may work as well as the Medial Pro's but they were useless in the practise final so we had to stick to BB Pink spikes but they were just nowhere near as quick.

Funny how you remember these things though hey haha.

I really should dig out all my old photo's and stuff....
Yeah, I remember Yukka taking 2 hours to make a 4wd set of tyres, and Slop just glued them on standard because he cba and was looking for a way past Yukka in most of the A final legs!
Old 27-11-2011

They were Medial Pro Crysp's I belive?? I still have a brand new set that I rescued from my parents loft, god knows why because I wasnt racing and spent the entire week drinking all that beer you got from work Graham!!!
Old 27-11-2011
Super Moderator

Yeah, I remember turning up in Julie's little green Chinq on the bump stops due to the weight of beer in it!
Old 27-06-2018

I know it's an old thread but brilliant to see some photos of where I used to race with James BITD!

Started off in 1986 at Brinsworth behind the Waverley pub, it used to be at the 3 Magpies before this but was just before my time. The club then found itself homeless, and moved around a lot - from memory:

Waverley (outdoor grass)
Burngreave Vestry Hall (indoor carpet)
Rowlinson School (indoor carpet / outdoor grass)
Rotherham town centre - some hall I forget (indoor carpet)
Rawmarsh Leisure Centre (outdoor grass / indoor carpet)

There was also a couple of one-off events around Sheffield I went to - some kind of fair / rally at Barlborough Hall (outdoor grass), and a Tamiya Challenge qualifier at the Octagon Centre in Sheffield (outdoor block paving!).

Started off with a Tamiya Frog I bought 2nd hand for £80, then went on to a modified Hotshot, Optima, gold pan RC10 and finally a PB Mini Mustang before I sold the lot for beer money when I was 18.

Wish I'd took more photos!
Old 27-06-2018
Mad Member

Love the chesterfield one brings back loads of memories
Old 02-07-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Couple more:

Rotherham

Hull

looks awsome and there was bends all around now days so many tracks looks like stadium 180s and jumps jumps jumps 180 and jumps agan ...just point and shoot

mvh isobarik
Old 04-07-2018

Fantastic pics

All that old skool racing really takes me back! Back to the good old days of grass track racing at Viables on a Sunday morning... Then the week after, over the road for some touring car action...

I'm sure "competitive" racing is just as expensive now for under 16's as it was back in the day.