Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 21-08-2012

Default Kyosho RB6 - HOW MUCH ! ...is it worth it ??

With Maritime poised to open their off road track in a few months time im now looking to start putting together the money for a buggy + all the electric gubbins too.

I had a Kyosho ZXR years back, great kit, went together well and strong, so thought that i'd loko at the RB6 which also seems a good piece of kit......until i saw the price. JEEBBUSSS ! £369 on special offer. So, given most kits come in under the £300 bracket, and some under £280, is this kit really worth the extra money ? It does look like it comes with everything to move the motor from rear to mid, so no aftermarket stuff required in that sense so that is a plus point. However, have many driven this car, tried it on astro and grass etc ?

Your feed back is always appreciated !

John
Old 21-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo90 View Post
With Maritime poised to open their off road track in a few months time im now looking to start putting together the money for a buggy + all the electric gubbins too.

I had a Kyosho ZXR years back, great kit, went together well and strong, so thought that i'd loko at the RB6 which also seems a good piece of kit......until i saw the price. JEEBBUSSS ! £369 on special offer. So, given most kits come in under the £300 bracket, and some under £280, is this kit really worth the extra money ? It does look like it comes with everything to move the motor from rear to mid, so no aftermarket stuff required in that sense so that is a plus point. However, have many driven this car, tried it on astro and grass etc ?

Your feed back is always appreciated !

John
Its not on sale yet, so no, no one has driven one yet, but at the end of the day its your choice whether you want to the spend money on the quality of a kyosho model. Many will tell you its worth it and many not....
Old 21-08-2012
Mad Member

If you're not sure, just wait.

Being a new model, there might be a problem or two somewhere on/in the car (like we have seen with the TRF201's idler gear and the DEX210's 'different' diff and unclear manual). These cons will probably become apparent within a month of it's release, and you can read through everyone's impressions.

Also, I think the price will be somewhat higher because it's a new model. Many MSRP's are often above the actual retail price. Also, the first batch(es) might be more expensive because you'd rather have a consistent flow of kits going out instead of building up this huge batch to cover for the demand (which takes too long), then find you've saturated the market for your car and no-one's buying it.

So I think prices will come down - even then though it will not be at the same price level as many other cars
Old 21-08-2012

Ur moaning about the price what about c4.1 £370 vega £370
And may I add db1 if u buy all the kits to make it £700

So if! It's as good as these then what the matter with the price
it's just the same as any other high end model
Old 21-08-2012

tcboy - they are after market kits + the cost of a kit, so it isnt relative. constructive replies please.
Old 21-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo90 View Post
tcboy - they are after market kits + the cost of a kit, so it isnt relative. constructive replies please.
You also have to remember you have the ability to run both mid and rear motor with the RB6. With the conversions this gives you like for like

B4.1 + C4.1 conversion - similar price as said
Any chassis + Vega conversion - similar price as said

The only kit to be able to do both mid and rear is the DEX210. I would hope the Kyosho is more durable and probably better plastics/metal parts used to warrant the x2 price on the 210. We're just going to have to wait and see, but pays your money, takes your choice.
Old 21-08-2012

I had been looking at the DEX actually but this retails at under the £200 mark which is ideal and given it does both motor positions then more price worthy too.

As much as I want to wait and see I am looking to get one in approx 4-6 weeks so i can get a bit of OR practice in (last time i drove a buggy in anger was about 20 years ago now)

thanks for the positive feedback though guys
Old 21-08-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've still got parts of my original 2007 vintage RB5 on my mid motor car .... I think that speaks of the quality of the parts, 3 years and counting out of a set of rear transmission gears in the 4wd too (they are now in my DB1 but they are the original gears from my ZX5-sp (not FS2sp .. original SP).

I've not run the Durango but I have turned off a fair few broken ones whilst marshalling. Not saying its a bad car, I personally don't think there are any bad designs out there at the moment, but I am saying most of the DEX210s I see have a fair few £££s of hop ups on them.

The RB6 will be a quality piece of kit, that is certain, and the transmission is the super well proven RB5 parts (ok in a new case in Mid Motor 4 gear build) so you shouldn't have any trouble there.

Why not get a cheap 2nd hand car to start with (seen a couple of DEX210s and TLR 22s under the £100 mark or you could go for one of the quality RB5 conversion of course which would be a little more) and see what the RB6 is like on release .... fairly sure that once you have seen one you will be tempted.
Old 21-08-2012
Mad Member

Hey John

It's good to here you are joining the off Road massive any of the resent kits are very good the dex210 would be the weapon of choice to keep budget down as for comparability of the cars there really isn't much in it I'm all for the centro conversion as I already have a b4 if I were buying new dex 210 or the sv2.

Stu rand
Old 21-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
if I were buying new dex 210 or the sv2.
I agree, both good cars and both under £200. I have owned both and would choose the SV2 over the 210 personally.
Old 21-08-2012

TBF i have a 210 and wish i would have chosen the SV2. With the anounts spent on hop ups and other parts to make the car more drivable the SV2 would have been cheaper i reckon
Old 22-08-2012

I had a 210 And Wasnt overly impressed with it And spent a fortune on extras for it only to sell it losing a load of money in the process, now have a centro much much better car than the 210 in all aspects! Now thats sold fingers crossed, And a db1 is on the cards
Old 22-08-2012

Mr Rand, it's good to nkow your still alive and kicking mate

Thanks for the input guys, this all helps out alot. Im hoping to have a car sorted in time for the first Off-Road wars. Just need to get some LiPo's, a motor and a servo and im good to go (well, tyres too but thats by the by).
Old 22-08-2012

if u want cheap get a Ansmann or team c
U were moaning the rb6 was tooo much at £360
And asked our option so I gave it to u
And even if they r after market they are still
top end kits that alot of ppl are buying
Like a tamiya team driver 201 with vega g2 ?
My local club if full of c4.1 vegas and db1 only a few have
Standard kits 22 sv2
Old 22-08-2012

just got hold of the new ZX5 recently and got the team C factory car for my son at the same time, the Team C is good but tbh you can see where the extra money goes on the Kyosho kit, The kyosho kit is blinged up out the box you wont find any plastic arm holders and the kits just go together better imho than anything else I have built, I know this refers to the ZX5 but I dont see the RB6 being any different in material spec and design tolerance, I also run the RB5 SP2 and the handling on this kit is superb, the Rango looks good also but the few at our track have had some issues blowing new bearings which if it happens mid final can be a problem , I carry a grand total of zero spares for the RB5 and touch wood had no problems breaking anything so far which is just as well personally I would wait for the kits to arrive and see if the price is accurate or not as this might be a suggested price and im sure those shops taking pre-orders have only taken a deposit just incase this happens, if you get the Rango im fairly sure you will be happy with this car also, as stated you wont regret spending the extra on the RB6 and you probably wont be to unhappy spending less on something else at the end of the day its your choice and as the RB6 is not out yet its difficult to make an assumption on how well it will go, that being said the last 3 versions of the RB5 have been gooooooood out the box.

p.s. Tebo did alright with the proto version and seeing as the official release shots came out soon after im guessing his car was close to production spec.