Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals

Old 29-07-2008

Default SOUTHPORT REFEREES

To all those that I missed on Sunday a big thank you to all that helped me over the weekend in my tempory post as Head Ref.
You may now realise how difficult it can be up on the Rostrum.
Also to all drivers who in general drove with consideration to there fellow competitors.:thumbsu p:
See you all at Stotfold.

Lindsay
Old 29-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The referee'ing was excellent at Southport.

I believe somebody stopped Damo from calling through the lead cars when lapping, I thought that what Damo was doing was excellent and was gob smacked at him being told to stop. But nevermind, no hardship on me as I tend to know far before I am told if I ought to be pulling over - but some don't.
Old 29-07-2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
I believe somebody stopped Damo from calling through the lead cars when lapping....
Old 29-07-2008

I can see two people who need to pay more attention at drivers briefing...
pm me bitch, or is it past your bedtime?
Old 29-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
I can see two people who need to pay more attention at drivers briefing...
who's that then? cos it ain't me.

Read what I said. I am not saying "Lead cars should be called through" am I? im saying Damo was doing a grand job and was stopped.
Old 29-07-2008
Lee-Mag

Ooooh i can see Chris` signature getting smaller

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 29-07-2008
Super Moderator

Hello Chris, sorry but you might have got the wrong end of the stick?

What happened in 2WD was that I informed a driver that he had one of the top three in the heat behind him and the next thing there was a coming together on the concrete section before race control between said driver and the lapping/overtaking driver.

The overtaking driver had words with me at the end of the heat commenting that "next time can we have a referee on the rostrum". I obviously answered him in my usual caring, sharing manner.

At the 4WD drivers briefing Lindsay made it clear that whilst the referee has the option to call the quicker drivers through, it is up to the drivers involved to let the faster car go, the referee could not force them out of the way.

I also didn't ref round four because Phil Sleigh took over from Lindsay on heat two and he was happy to carry on so i let him.

All in all an interesting experience, in an ideal world we would have a team of independant referees but I guess that won't happen soon.

I don't think I am ready to take over just yet..........
Old 29-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think you did fine, a ref can only be there to inform people car/car interaction is 100% down to the people twiddling the sticks or the wheel
Old 29-07-2008
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

Would also like to thank the refferees for stepping in too. I wasn't aware before this weekend lead cars cannot be called through like they used to.

(this isnt a rant - more a view)

I'd really like to know why however, as in real 1:1 scale racing cars being lapped are blue flagged and are then to move over and let the car through. I can't imagine it going down well when if it was up to the driver wether they let them through or not.

Driver etiquette is good when it works, but when some one is unaware of what is going on it's hard for the faster drivers to pull their potential.

An example being in 2wd I was on par for 14th in round, when a driver being lapped was not aware of the situation (not their fault) had held me up and an error between us was made as I tried to pass and them not knowing I was the lead car. On 3 occurences similar situations happened on the same day.

For me the faster cars being called through helps avoid situations like above, i'd be interested to find out why this 'ruling' has come in to place, and when the drivers had allowed this to happen.
Old 29-07-2008
BANNED

Paul - you may have hold of the same end of the stick that Chris L had.

There has been no change, there is no rule, never was, no nothing.

It was simply clarified that the rostrum referee is not obliged to call the leaders through (he is not obliged to even be there), but he can do so if he wishes and if he feels it helps.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 29-07-2008
Supah doOpah

Agreed stu, i realise there is no solid rule to this, but I do notice the higher heats are always made 'aware' of the faster cars coming through - why them and not the lower heats? they're of the same importance.

The way i see it is its the same for everyone, they either have the same treatment or no guidence at all. and im sure more agree also.
Old 29-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Fair enough, got it.

The referee's do a good job, all of them whether full time or volunteer, Damo included. Its a thankless task where only the complaints get voiced which is a shame, we really should show our praise and hopefully our appreciation will bring back more regular call through's and such/or perhaps not, but we do need refs whether or not to stop any blatant bad driving, corner cutting etc etc.
Old 29-07-2008
Supah doOpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
Fair enough, got it.

The referee's do a good job, all of them whether full time or volunteer, Damo included. Its a thankless task where only the complaints get voiced which is a shame, we really should show our praise and hopefully our appreciation will bring back more regular call through's and such/or perhaps not, but we do need refs whether or not to stop any blatant bad driving, corner cutting etc etc.
just to quote this.. im not actually bad mouthing the reffereeing, the guys who do it do a great job, lindsay skelding showed me how hard a job he has on a few occasions. I told him my self it's a job i'd find difficult to do.
Old 29-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Don't worry Paul, I wasn't implying that, sorry if it looked like I was.
Old 29-07-2008

Just to add to this discussion....

Being in a commentated heat seems to be an advantage, as long you don't find it off putting and get "murray walkered".

The commentator is constantly making the public and hence the rest of the field aware of the position of the leaders. I think the back markers are much more aware when the commentator is on becuase there is the fear of public humilation on the tanoy if they accidently hold up or take out a faster guy.
Old 29-07-2008

""but I do notice the higher heats are always made 'aware' of the faster cars coming through - why them and not the lower heats? they're of the same importance.""

Im with you 100% paul
Old 29-07-2008
Mad Member

Default "

So am I, how are we to potentially catch the quicker guys if we are held up or taken out, we all know the importance of that extra second in nationals. Think if slower cars are not made aware that they will start being issued warnings for accidental hold ups or take outs. Think there should be a rule thst the top 2 or 3 are called through as this usually helps all involved.
Old 29-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

making rules for this kind of thing is a big black hold or massive can-o-worms

might just be better to only have refs to monitor take-outs? balls to the faster car thing
Old 29-07-2008
Supah doOpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughtyUK.net View Post
making rules for this kind of thing is a big black hold or massive can-o-worms

might just be better to only have refs to monitor take-outs? balls to the faster car thing
Sorry chris but ive got to disagree - It's easy for you to say balls to it because in your heats the guys have the know how of what's going on. I'm an F2 and still find my self with people who need the extra help of a refferee to say a quicker car is coming around - I see it often in other heats i watch also.

But like you say the other solution is to completely scrap the guidence of faster cars - even for the big boys.
Old 29-07-2008
Super Moderator

People knowing a body shell also helps. Over the winter I ran a BJ4 and borrowed one of Rich Lowes old shells. I have never ever ever ever had people jump out of my way at regionals so fast!

People in your heat know your coming Chris!

G