Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk > Aero Racing

Old 20-03-2008
Lee-Mag

Dave the front of the shell has a gap all the way round it, i think this will allow a fair bit of air through.

Also where the steering linkage goes, you can cut this back further if you want too. I cant see there being any problem with thermalling, i havent come accross any problems.

I think you can drill some holes above the fan for the brca meetings but if you are doing euros etc you will get ur wrist slapped

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 22-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Right, I am obviously being an idiot with the slipper, but...

How on earth do I tighten/loosen it!?!? I can't get to the nut once its in the slipper in order to grip it so I can either tighten or loosen the slipper clutch!!

Do the instructions show the wrong nut, or is there some tool in the kit I can use to grip the nut??
Old 22-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Right, I am obviously being an idiot with the slipper, but...

How on earth do I tighten/loosen it!?!? I can't get to the nut once its in the slipper in order to grip it so I can either tighten or loosen the slipper clutch!!

Do the instructions show the wrong nut, or is there some tool in the kit I can use to grip the nut??
No it's a feature.... until the tool comes out....stick a flat bladed screw driver in there for now
Old 22-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Grr, not having fun with this build so far, I'm useless!

Ok, have used theflat bladed screwdriver, but sadly the result is I now have a bent (but hopefully tight) slipper screw!! And no part number in the kit for the slipper screw!?

Also, have I managed to knacker it or is it right that the whole slipper assembly/spur is off kilter, it isn't straight at all now I've mounted it into the chassis. Its all pointed to the left front and right rear, have I broke it or does everyone else have the same thing?

Dave
Old 22-03-2008

Quote:
And no part number in the kit for the slipper screw!?
I dont know the part number, but the spur/slipper pads look pretty similar to associated ones...I would think an associated screw would fit.

Quote:
Also, have I managed to knacker it or is it right that the whole slipper assembly/spur is off kilter, it isn't straight at all now I've mounted it into the chassis. Its all pointed to the left front and right rear, have I broke it or does everyone else have the same thing?
You mean the drive shafts etc dont run down the centre of the chassis?..thats normal
Old 22-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Sorry mate, hard to explain what I mean, I think they all do the same from looking at pics, what I mean is that the spur gear is not straight across the chassis, I don't have the motor mounted yet but it looks like the mesh won't be straight as the spur is at an angle.
Old 22-03-2008

Has one of the slipper pads moved?...just been looking at mine and it's pretty straight to be honest

the spur gear has pretty much the same clearance either side of the slipper support and seems to run straight enough.

can you take a pic?
Old 22-03-2008

Old 22-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Can;t get a pic until Monday, but yours helped thanks, in as far as its confirmed mine is knackered!!

Not sure how though, my outdrives are out of line as much as my slipper is, the entire assembly is off, in an angle similar to (though I don't think as severe as) your rear cvd.

Really , I wouldn't have thought the slipper mounts could be wrong as they are bolted together, but can't think what else would put the entire unit out of line. I know I have the bent slipper screw but I would have thought that would have created a wobbly effect, not a smooth but always out of line unit.

Old 23-03-2008
Mad Member

The slipper screw bends because of the spring under the nut and having to shove a screwdriver up the outdrive to hold the nut. It doesn't actually do anything negative to the slipper.

I would have thought your slipper pads had moved while you were assembling it to get it completely squiff...
Old 23-03-2008

Are the alloy mounts out of line ? ...sorry still trying to work out what part isnt straight...

I'd take it all out again and start over (just the slipper and mounts).

If the mounts line up straight, then its your spur/slipper. Take it apart again and make sure the slipper pads are in the slots in the spur
Old 23-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'll post a pic tomorrow night, it's the entire slipper assembly, including outdrives and spur, which look out of line compare to the alloy mounts. Which seems impossible to me! I'd have though if it was the slipper pads it would look wobbly as you spin it, but this stays consistently out of line in the same direction!?

Wondering if its optical illusion!!
Old 24-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ok,

am charging my camera at the momnt so will get a pic up asap, but, and I know this will seem weird....

The problem is that the outdrives have not gone on the bearings "straight". So its like the inside of the bearings you pt on the outdrives are not straight and therefore the whole spur assembly mounts off true.

Could this be the shims, as these bent as they went on? Other than that, anyone know why I'd have duff bearings!?
Old 24-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Haha, talking to myself here but this may come in useful for anyone else building the car:

Ok, found the problem, it was how I had assembled the slipper mount with the two nuts at the bottom which have a screw in each side of them. I had tightened them all up with one side of the mount offset compared to the other, which is what then put the bearings etc out of line. Just reassembled it and the problem has disappeared!
Old 24-03-2008

Glad to hear you've got it sorted
Old 24-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Next Question!!

Not a biggy, haven't got calipers with me and was wondering about the ball cup size on the kit, for the shocks, are they 4 or 5 mm, or imperial, does anyone know? I want to get some spares!
Old 24-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

BTW, EASILY the nicest shocks to build I have ever had, certainly puts Tamiya to shame!!

Once there's some spares knocking about, may have to get another set and out them on my 501X!
Old 28-03-2008

yer i agree very nice shocks its not really a build question but i thought it would help
also you might want to be careful when you put your batteries in because you might short them out if you touch them to theslipper mount i almost did it so me and kev put a peice of foam over it to stop that
Ko Propo, Spektrum,
Custom Blitz
Old 06-04-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ok, two more questions from the build (I have NEVER used a shaft drive car before so apologies if these are stupid questions!)

I've put the gearboxes together and on to the car and two things are apparent:

1. There are bad tight spots in the drivetrain, not knochy all the time but just tight spots. Will these improve with running?

2. The rear diff case overhangs at the back when attached to the chassis, meaning dirt can get in to it. Is there any reason for this? I'm pretty sure I have done front and back correctly, so it seems odd to me? I am planning to just tape over it but just can't see why its there?
Old 06-04-2008
oOple Advertiser

1. There are bad tight spots in the drivetrain, not knochy all the time but just tight spots. Will these improve with running?

Depends how bad it is? there may be some tight spots that will go with running in. As long as its not notchy, if it is, it may be because the bevel gear is shimmed too far and is clipping the diff plate.

2. The rear diff case overhangs at the back when attached to the chassis, meaning dirt can get in to it. Is there any reason for this? I'm pretty sure I have done front and back correctly, so it seems odd to me? I am planning to just tape over it but just can't see why its there?

Have you fitted the rear brace yet? the brace locates in that gap and covers it

hope that helps