Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 26-02-2012

Thumbs up Miscellaneous Tippage

Post you X-6 tips here! I'll get us started.
Old 26-02-2012

If you're using a B4.1 servo horn, you may have noticed the plastic is softer. I've noticed that if you put a tall bal stud on it, the horn flexes, which makes the front wheels flap about on high-grip surfaces.

Better to use a short neck ball stud such as LOSA9949 or LOSA6029. And a little nut makes it extra secure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM6115.JPG (125.2 KB, 99 views)
Old 26-02-2012

More finesse with ball studs: the manual calls for 2 washers under the stud on the steering spindle because of the 30° of castor, but this achieves the same rod angle with less washers and a lower rod.

I use a ASC41281 (short) on the inboard end, and ASC6275 (tall) on the spindle. No washers required. And as an added bonus: the ball studs have less of a tendency to wiggle themselves loose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM6117.JPG (115.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM6118.JPG (68.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 26-02-2012

I use a losa6044 rod end with a bolt and a nut for high-load applications such as the rear hub. It's bulletproof and slop-free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM6104.JPG (215.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 26-02-2012

For convenient battery changes, you can slot 2 of the 4 holes in the battery brace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM6121.JPG (121.9 KB, 70 views)
Old 26-02-2012

A bulletproof way of fastening a capacitor: dremel 2 holes in the chassis, near the floor, and use 2 tie-wraps. Blue is better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM6119.JPG (118.4 KB, 101 views)
Old 26-02-2012

Longer wheelbase in the front with trailing axles

http://www.oople.com/forums/showpost...8&postcount=23
Old 26-02-2012

A lot of drivers do not use the front motorplate support to allow more flex. I also do this to create more drive on low grip tracks. But I do not want the chassis to flex inwards during a hard landing. So i made an (ugly ) nylon block under the plate. So it van only flex to one side.

Bonus transmission tip: if you ever had any of the lugs breakoff the transmission case. Just put the same size shim you put under the lugs also between the transmission and the chassis itself. So any load is carries by the whole casing, and not just the 4 lugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motorplate support.JPG (33.2 KB, 143 views)
Old 26-02-2012

I like to put an extra nut on the end of the screw for the shocktower. This way you cant strip the thread out of the rear shocktower mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg extra nut for shocktower.JPG (16.0 KB, 161 views)
Old 13-04-2012

After bad (inverted!) landings I broke a couple of wing mounts where the hole for the clip is. I saw a few cars with screw mounted wings, so did the same.

Just remove the raised part with the hole from the top and drill a new hole vertically into the mount. Take care as there's not much to drill into. I then used a 4-40 screw and a cone washer from an E-Revo wing (but any suitable washer would do) to secure the wing to each mount.

It's not as easy to remove the wing as with a couple of clips, but not a big deal. It's a much firmer mounting and the weak part of the mount is removed.

Old 13-04-2012
Mad Member

Looks good too. We've got the Real Men Wear Black countersink washers to make it look just right.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 17-04-2012

Hi! Using bigger 5-40 screws on the rear shock tower/rear bulkhead instead of standard 4-40, good tip or bad tip? You have to gorilla-screw them in the CF. I wonder if that makes it more prone to break.
Old 18-04-2012
Mad Member

You can drill out the tower to accept 5-40, and going to the larger screw is one solution for stripped threads in the bulkhead. So, yes, it's OK.

Start with the Kit-supplied 4-40, and keep the gorilla in his cage when installing. Eventually you may strip these screws, so then go to either 3mm or 5-40.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 18-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
You can drill out the tower to accept 5-40, and going to the larger screw is one solution for stripped threads in the bulkhead. So, yes, it's OK.

Start with the Kit-supplied 4-40, and keep the gorilla in his cage when installing. Eventually you may strip these screws, so then go to either 3mm or 5-40.
Or just cut the bulkhead and use a nut

http://www.oople.com/forums/showpost...26&postcount=9
Old 19-04-2012

Ive been working on the X6 today and carried out some mods ive read about;If your using AE shocks and springs its worth cutting a short piece from each end of the rear spring,just enough to eliminate the end coils overlapping.I read somewhere that this will allow the spring to sit better and under compression wont rub the shock body.I had the shocks apart and thought why not,I was pleasantly surprised that it works and gives a nice smooth operation.The other mod was fitting a rear anti roll bar,I bought some of the Schumacher Mi4 mounts U3499 as mentioned on another thread.These will fit without any modification to your car,I used a cap head screw (the same screw as the B4 FT front wheel retainer) and fitted the mounts to the top of the rear toe in bracket.These are great as they come with grub screws with a taper on the end so as to enable you use different thickness bars and adjust accordingly to take out any play which is difficult with the slotted bulkhead method.Happy X6ing!!.

Last edited by Chippy96; 02-06-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: redone
Old 02-06-2012

Bump
Old 13-07-2012

Thanks for the great tips guys! Will for sure watch this space!

My tip would be....

Dremmel the chassis ribbs to lower the saddle lipos down in the chassis a few mm more.

Anyone have the info on moving rear shock tower forward placing wing over the wheels?

BTW I never clicked on this topic cause I thought it was about someone having trouble with their car tipping over.
Supported by RC Disco and Team Powers UK
Favourite Model Shop....MB Models!
Old 14-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBeMikey View Post
Anyone have the info on moving rear shock tower forward placing wing over the wheels?

An easy way is to just put the wing mounts on the opposite side (left for right, right for left) and mount them using the top holes on the front side of the shock tower.

Body becomes a pain to fit though, gotta put it under the wing first the flex it to get it under the front shock tower.
Old 15-07-2012
Mad Member

With my little experience so far, the best tip I can give is to only use the tips that do not directly change the handling of the car. All other tips could be something to 'try' if you're bored, but imo not needed as the car is great out of the box.

Another tip would be not to go crazy on adding weight, especially at the front. This might feel as the car generates more steering, but it actually slows down the reactions of the front end, making the car slower overall. It's quite simple really, imagine a front end of 2kg and try to change the direction of the car, it will just go straight . If you put in weight at front to stop it from pulling a wheelie: your slipper is too tight!
Old 15-07-2012

FlipSide, do you race in the UK? Just asking cause with saddle set-up I tried weight and no weight and for me weight was better, Only 30g on front.
Supported by RC Disco and Team Powers UK
Favourite Model Shop....MB Models!

Last edited by MeBeMikey; 15-07-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Sorry Said "Mad". Meant to say "flipside"