Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 07-02-2015
Mad Member

Thumbs down For Sale Section

Just scanning through the for sale section and I can't believe the amount of adverts asking for the money to be sent as gift. A lot of these people have no trader feedback either. It just baffles me as to why some people do this? Now I'm not saying that every person that does this is a scammer but it does happen. It only takes 2 mins to work out the PayPal fees to be added so you get the price your looking for, plus the buyer has the assurance that he/she is protected should the sale go bad.
Old 07-02-2015

I always say that fees are an option for the buyer, when ever I get anything from someone I don't know even if they have good feedback. I always pay the fees as they protect me as the buyer so I don't see why they should pay for something that will protect me?
Old 08-02-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Unfortunately PayPal are always quick to side with the buyer. As a seller you leave yourself wide open for people claiming against you should they blow their speedo up for example and decide they want a refund for their own stupidity.

I only sell via PayPal gift to people I don't know. Its the same as a private cash sale. No guarantees with used items after all so nobody should expect them. Send my items via recorded post to cover myself and only sell items that I'd be happy to use myself to avoid aggro.

PayPal gift protects the seller is what I am getting at. This forum has a lot of members with more enthusiasm than experience when it comes to soldering/wiring. Lots of potential for damage to gear that was perfect when it was sent.

See My Feedback

Old 08-02-2015
Mad Member

Most people cant even be bothered to follow the rules and put pictures in the sale post either
Old 08-02-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Agree with both Rich and Kbrewer. Also you get people who buy from you when selling rc stuff cheaper, then pay with you getting hit for fees on top of what your selling. Its up to the buyer to pay the fees if they so wish BUT !!!!! as Rich states GIFT protects the seller if the unfortunate should happen. I have refunded buyers is the past for expecting me to pay fees when I was selling stuff cheaper. I always state PAY THE FEES or Gift.

**** 5 Metres Speed Swimming Champion 1976****

Last edited by xfactor; 08-02-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex97 View Post
I always say that fees are an option for the buyer, when ever I get anything from someone I don't know even if they have good feedback. I always pay the fees as they protect me as the buyer so I don't see why they should pay for something that will protect me?
+1. If gift protects the seller, fees protect the buyer.
Old 08-02-2015

how many times do you see ads with the words
having problems cannot upload pictures this maybe one reason for lack of pictures in for sale ads
Old 08-02-2015

Im sure i read if it doesnt have pictures it will be removed or to do with someone with low feedback/posts, its not hard to put pictures on even for those who are not that technical search for the answer or ask, a picture is as good as the description.
Old 09-02-2015

My biggest pet peeve, is when you open a thread and then it links you to another thread. clearly you have mastered copy and paste as you copied the url, surely you can copy and paste your advert instead?!?!
Old 09-02-2015

A few things anoy me, no pics! Sometimes you need to add postage and fees on top really! Just add it in, it is mad for still be asking for Gifts.
Delete them the ones that ask along with no pics.

E REVO
BAJA,SS TS REED
All The Gear,and No Idea!!
4PKS,4PL
PILLOW CASE CREW
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29834
Old 09-02-2015
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

Guys,

The for sale section is moderated by one guy! Have you seen the amount of traffic that goes through there? It amazes me how Col keeps the section together! He does it thanklessly, off his own back, and IMO does a cracking job of it.
Old 09-02-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRotheram View Post
Guys,

The for sale section is moderated by one guy! Have you seen the amount of traffic that goes through there? It amazes me how Col keeps the section together! He does it thanklessly, off his own back, and IMO does a cracking job of it.
no one is saying anything about col an the way its moderated, people are talking about members who post in the for sale section
Old 09-02-2015
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

I'm more outlining the point of what is done so people are aware why some of the numptys slip through for a couple hours.

I agree it's not hard to see the rules of adding pictures or a link of a link in a link from the link from the linked post

I do personally agree with having money sent via a gift, not everyone is trusted, and i personally prefer it when selling items. However not everyone is comfortable doing that.. and paying the fees is the next best.

Just check who they are, how long they have been around, and if they have any oOple feedback - 99% of the time everything works smoothly.
Old 09-02-2015

Default Buying and selling

Take great care in knocking this facility. It's almost certainly the best and safest method of buying and selling RC stuff there is out there. The moderators do a terrific job and an occasional thank you to them is very worthwhile. Don't ever get near the point where we might lose it. Because what will you do then?
Old 09-02-2015

I don't think anyone's knocking the facility just people not using it correctly. I agree about linking to a old ad, just copy the old post.
Old 09-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
+1. If gift protects the seller, fees protect the buyer.
This seems to have been confused somewhere.

Gift - No protection for buyer or seller.
With Fees - Both buyer and seller protected if following the PayPal seller protection rules.

The key seller protection rule is simple - send it tracked or signed for so proof of delivery.

Follow theze and you don't get scammed.

Unfortunately, too many people want something for nothing so try to use gift for when it isn't appropriate i.e. when selling goods to unknown people.

If you don't ask, you'll never know!
Old 09-02-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogPrince82 View Post
This seems to have been confused somewhere.

Gift - No protection for buyer or seller.
With Fees - Both buyer and seller protected if following the PayPal seller protection rules.

The key seller protection rule is simple - send it tracked or signed for so proof of delivery.

Follow theze and you don't get scammed.

Unfortunately, too many people want something for nothing so try to use gift for when it isn't appropriate i.e. when selling goods to unknown people.
The keywords here are "..............Both buyer and seller protected if following the PayPal seller protection rules "

Sadly, not every buyer can be trusted to do so.

I have sold two speedos to noobies on here and had immediate emails telling me that the items dont work. Turns out they had wired the speedos incorrectly both times ( phases wrong ). I helped via email and it was all sorted thankfully without damage.

If someone connects it + to - and smokes it i dont really feel like footing the £80 plus postage to buy them another because Paypal deemed that it was my fault.

Not interested in Paypals decision as to whether they think theres a warranty when im selling my own used working items. As far as im concerned Paypal Gift is just the same as a cash sale if i had advertised in a local paper. Paypal are a law unto themselves. If people dont want to pay gift then thats fine by me, someone else will be happy to see my feedback and do as i ask.

I agree with the sending via a recorded/insured method though, that has to be guaranteed in the listing IMO.

See My Feedback

Old 09-02-2015

The item is used and open to being damaged when installed, so as long as you have proof that it was delivered then you as a seller are protected, it has nothing to do with the buyer being honest or not.

It is simply if you sent the item and can prove they received it. Once it is fitted to the car it has been modified and open to their error, so impossible for the buyer to return to you in original condition.

Therefore the buyer would lose their case against you if they raised a dispute or claim.

This protection for the seller is what you pay the fees for. If not, and the buyer pays by gift, they can open a Charge Back case with their bank and you lose the money, PayPal protection covers this scenario so as long as you have tracking and proof of delivery, even if the buyer goes to their bank, you will still be guarenteed your money by PayPal, they take the hit financially.

This is why going with gift is actually a false sense of protection by sellers, the buyer is covered by the bank funding the gift payment and the seller has nothing!!!!

If you don't ask, you'll never know!

Last edited by FrogPrince82; 09-02-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Funny thing is, depends what or who your name is on here, to who gets there for sale threads deleted. There is for sales on there now without pictures yet have not been deleted. I struggled with 1 upload on 1 of my for sales and it was instantly deleted. Which in the case of the rules is fine, but rules should apply to everyone not individuals.

**** 5 Metres Speed Swimming Champion 1976****
Old 09-02-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogPrince82 View Post
The item is used and open to being damaged when installed, so as long as you have proof that it was delivered then you as a seller are protected, it has nothing to do with the buyer being honest or not.

It is simply if you sent the item and can prove they received it. Once it is fitted to the car it has been modified and open to their error, so impossible for the buyer to return to you in original condition.

There for the buyer would lose their case against you if they raised a dispute or claim.

This protection for the seller is what you pay the fees for. If not, and the buyer pays by gift, they can open a Charge Back case with their bank and you lose the money, PayPal protection covers this scenario so as long as you have tracking and proof of delivery, even if the buyer goes to their bank, you will still be guarenteed your money by PayPay, they take the hit financially.

This is why going with gift is actually a false sense of protection by sellers, the buyer is covered by the bank funding the gift payment and the seller has nothing!!!!

I`d agree with what youre saying if Paypal gave careful consideration to each dispute but the fact remains that certainly as far as eBay is concerned, they dont.

I had one guy who bought a 15 year old Losi XX4 shelf queen fitted with new belts ( made 10 years ago ). He decided to open a dispute against me cos when he installed his brushless system it stripped the belts. This was despite it being listed as a shelf model. Guess what ? He won.

Open an eBay dispute and tick the "arrived broken" box, you get refunded. No further questions.

Having been shafted i`ll not let it happen again. 1500 listings later ive had no further trouble and certainly none on here. Fair to say you have to be wary about who you are dealing with though.

I`ll cross you off the list of potential customers anyway

See My Feedback