Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 30-03-2012
Mad Member

Default BEST 4x4 SC in your opinion.?????

I have a Hong nor 4x4 and am looking at maybe changing to something else.
No real reason other than i like to change stuff often. AND

I have just got into the oople event in SC and want to get a decent 4x4 SC so i can not blame the truck for my short comings......... lol......

SO.

question is.........

whats the BEST SC 4x4 in your opinion, be honest good or bad, and please tell me why, no matter why, if its good or bad.

I am undecided wether to keep the hong nor, or get the AE, Durango, ansmann, hong nor, etc etc etc.........

Has to be 4x4 SC as not a 2wd fan of anything really.........

So please be open and frank about all and any............
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 30-03-2012

Oh oh, be prepared for all manner of answers depending on what each person prefers. You'll probably end up just as confused as before you asked.

I like my SCRT10 too, best thing about it is it's fairly cheap which is great for me since I refuse to get drawn into spending big bucks like I used to.

Durangos and Losi SCTEs seem to be the flavour at the mo.

It's so often down to buying and seeing if it suits your style.
Old 30-03-2012
Mad Member

Default lol/ thats what i want thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Oh oh, be prepared for all manner of answers depending on what each person prefers. You'll probably end up just as confused as before you asked.

I like my SCRT10 too, best thing about it is it's fairly cheap which is great for me since I refuse to get drawn into spending big bucks like I used to.

Durangos and Losi SCTEs seem to be the flavour at the mo.

It's so often down to buying and seeing if it suits your style.
I am fully prepared for it, but i want all options before i buy/change/commit etc.
the ins and outs of them all, the good, the bad, the ugly and the total crap.........
then i will make a decision based on rumour, fact, lies, jokes, comments and gut feelings................ hehe
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 31-03-2012

Exclamation

all depends on what you really want from the truck.

shrunken 1/8ths
losi scte is built like a tank, but is heavy compared to the competition (which can help )

hong nor is similar to the losi but lighter all round and not so stable as standard due to the electrics postion, but can be turned into a great truck

hobao, very similar to above having seen a couple going they are very good once setup

Race designed trucks

Ae sc10 4x4, my truck of choice very strong, nice and stable, some good tuning options. can be high maintenence (doing diffs trackside wont be easy). can be too light and get pushed around.

Durango . current class leader very fast and nimble, yet to see one on the dirt though (roll on coventry national). have seen a few temperamental issues and breakages, if you already have saddle packs then its perfect.

there are a few others (lrp, ansmann, maverick etc) but not the best if your really going to race it,

best bet is try and have a go with the ones you fancy, that way you already have an idea if it suits your style
Old 31-03-2012

What don't you like about the Hong Nor? What is making you want to change?
Old 31-03-2012
Mad Member

Default ineresting.

Nothing wrong as such with the hong nor, done me great so far, just think i need something a bit more race ready. hence tempted by the AE etc.

Only SC i have had is the hong nor hence getting opinions and advice...
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 31-03-2012

have owned or driven all the big name sc´s hobao hongnor ae durango traxxas, only one i havnt tried is the losi. personal favorite is the durango. its not the strongest of trucks an you cant drive it like a scrt10, requires more like tc style but when you adapt you wont look back, it can turn under anything.
second favourite would be the scrt10, once you put pivotball conversion on the front, mount esc behind battery tray an lie the battery on its side its a stunning truck to drive, so easy an takes a beating.
on another note i keep seeing things about a mugen sc conversion, that could well be worth looking into as mugen make great cars.
Old 31-03-2012

We've a big SC following down at Adur and the SCTE is most popular. The AE SC10 4x4 have proven to be difficult to setup for dirt. SCRTs are good still but about 2 secs a lap slower. Only Durango we've had was at national last year and Stuart Harlow won but not by much - SCTE was 2nd. But his car seemed to be fettled with alot during rounds. Mine was plug & play
Old 31-03-2012

Fair enough! I'd stick with what you've got right now and see how you go against the other guys at the UKSC Nats...

4wd last year looked to be more about survival than anything else :P
Old 31-03-2012
Mad Member

Default hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcoursegoat View Post
have owned or driven all the big name sc´s hobao hongnor ae durango traxxas, only one i havnt tried is the losi. personal favorite is the durango. its not the strongest of trucks an you cant drive it like a scrt10, requires more like tc style but when you adapt you wont look back, it can turn under anything.
second favourite would be the scrt10, once you put pivotball conversion on the front, mount esc behind battery tray an lie the battery on its side its a stunning truck to drive, so easy an takes a beating.
on another note i keep seeing things about a mugen sc conversion, that could well be worth looking into as mugen make great cars.

Pivot ball conversion, yes the fronts pop off all the time. I have adapted some on the inner cups but need to do the outer ones as well.

what makes/conversion do you recomend. I will be laying the cells flat soon as its got a high COG at the moment and rolls on the cornering at times. lipos flat will help that.
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 31-03-2012

I've got the rcmonster chassis on my SCRT10. I can't compare it to a std one for racing, and I've only raced once with it but like it so far.

Have considered the pivot ball conversion because I need all the help I can get but I haven't seen enough evidence yet to suggest it's worthwhile.
Old 31-03-2012

Durango Short Course finished 1st & 2nd in last years UK SC series They really are awesome fun to drive and so nimble.
Old 31-03-2012

the main advantage of the pivot ball system for me was the strength of it, the standard kit likes to bend the turnbuckle on the top arm.

captured rod ends an a little grinding on the front diff cases gives you some more steering a stops the balls popping off

I heard the rcmonster kit is nice but never tried one, i just cut the standard battery tray to allow me to lie the lipos on their side. plenty of room behind tray for a novak or rx8.

have a friend who ran the snr graphite chassis along with losi bigbores an loved it, i tried hyper 9 shocks on mine but they were just toooooo big. losi an hb seemed to be the shocks of choice or you can mount a set of rears on the front when you use one of the many extened tower choices, i choose snr
Old 31-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by (off)roadrunner View Post

shrunken 1/8ths
losi scte is built like a tank, but is heavy compared to the competition (which can help )

hong nor is similar to the losi but lighter all round and not so stable as standard due to the electrics postion, but can be turned into a great truck

hobao, very similar to above having seen a couple going they are very good once setup

Race designed trucks

Ae sc10 4x4, my truck of choice very strong, nice and stable, some good tuning options. can be high maintenence (doing diffs trackside wont be easy). can be too light and get pushed around.

Durango . current class leader very fast and nimble, yet to see one on the dirt though (roll on coventry national). have seen a few temperamental issues and breakages, if you already have saddle packs then its perfect.

there are a few others (lrp, ansmann, maverick etc) but not the best if your really going to race it,

best bet is try and have a go with the ones you fancy, that way you already have an idea if it suits your style
Totally agree,durango is heavy and has lots of breakages,last years nationals always sore a durango have something break on it in the course of the day.

Have an SC10 4x4 and regards to maintenance can be an issue but to be honest after a season of nationals and 5 events at A1 indoor still have done no maintenance on mine.
At the start i just changed the belt pulleys to the Titanium once as they kept melting been fine since.Plus side is its so light you can also use 540 motot on it.
Cant comment on the Losi as not seen many race.
Old 31-03-2012
Mad Member

Default very ineresting comments.

Cheers for the advice so far, keep it coming.

I do love my SCRT10, and have just been in the garage fettling and have made the lipos flat, added pic for your views.
Used some schumacher posts and made a temp lexan battery strap, if it works will make a nicer one.

I may end up keeping it and doing a few more mods, Its got a 5.5T bullistorm in it and goes like stink!

depends on a few factors.........

Oh what to do..............................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2935.jpg (227.4 KB, 36 views)
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =

Last edited by TARTMAN; 31-03-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: adding pic
Old 31-03-2012

Looking good there. I say stick with it.

Here's mine.

Old 31-03-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlowS View Post
Durango Short Course finished 1st & 2nd in last years UK SC series
And was slower than 2wd at most of the events
Old 01-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
need to change that and race a SC10 4x4 this year also.
Old 01-04-2012

Send a message via MSN to johnni boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
Haha!
Old 14-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by (off)roadrunner View Post

shrunken 1/8ths

All wrong, the SCTE is based off the Ten-T 1/10th truggy and the SCRT is based off the 1/12 CRT.5 and the Hoboa is a resized Mini ST
TLR SCTE 2.0 - Tekin RX8 G2 - Tekin Pro4 4600kv - Xpert SI-3401 BLS
LC Racing EMB-1 & EMB-SC

Sanwa MT4

Intellect & Gens Ace Powered