Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 05-10-2020

Default Stick transmitter options

Hi all. I’m potentially looking to change back to sticks but the choice of new ones are pretty slim.

What sticks are compatible with Spektrum receivers? The only Spektrum ones I can find seem to be for planes/helicopters?

Decent ones like KO or Santa seem to fetching a fair price for used units but wondered what you guys are using and if the higher price is worth paying for second hand items?

Thanks 🙏
Old 05-10-2020
Mad Member

I can’t comment on the sticks, but when I restarted a few years ago, I had a few Absima radio sets (from the basic CR2, the CR3P then the all bells and whistles top one) I liked them all and they were easy to use, but when I switched to a Sanwa, there was a noticeable difference. Response, smoothness, etc
That said, the number of settings can make them seem daunting, but I’d recommend to persevere
I love my Sanwa MT4 😀

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 06-10-2020

Futaba still make a stick set.
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 06-10-2020

I have a KO Propo esprit 4 and love it. It’s mega high quality. But not the easiest to programme / change settings etc so something to bear in mind as the menus are fairly challenging to understand. But I manage with the manual.

Maybe not necessary for regular RC cars, but for racing is worth it IMO. But I haven’t tried Futaba. I went with KO as I used to have an early KO years and years ago so I stuck with the brand.
Old 06-10-2020

Just bought the futaba stick tx - easy to programme and faster response than my hacked KO. Receivers are sensibly priced as well. New KO is just a bit OTT really - in my eyes. 2nd hand ~ £250 would be worth getting a KO.
Old 09-10-2020

For sticks there only a handful of options:

Absima do a cheap stick set for like £40 with 0 programming, ok for bashing, I have raced with this and was ok whilst I was getting back into the swing of things.

Futaba T4GRS (which is what I use) can be had for around £180 second hand or £250ish new, really nice radio, 40 model memory, additional receivers are £40 - £50, most club racers who are on sticks seem to use these.

Ko Propo, Sanwa & Futaba all do a high end one which retail about £500 - £600 can't really comment on these.

That's about your lot for sticks, if you go for wheel there are loads of options.
Schumacher Cat 2000EC
Losi XX
Tamiya TT-02 (Rally)
Traxxas Rustler

Instagram: Lofty1984
Old 10-10-2020

Thanks for all your replies guys it’s appreciated 👍

I’ve used a Spektrum DX3S for years now but most of my kit is vintage rere now so wanted to go back to stick as I used them as a kid (Futaba Attack!) so thought it made sense but can’t really justify the price of changing, unless I spot a bargain of course
Old 29-10-2020

Send a message via MSN to Dirt-Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty2332 View Post
For sticks there only a handful of options:

Absima do a cheap stick set for like £40 with 0 programming, ok for bashing, I have raced with this and was ok whilst I was getting back into the swing of things.

Futaba T4GRS (which is what I use) can be had for around £180 second hand or £250ish new, really nice radio, 40 model memory, additional receivers are £40 - £50, most club racers who are on sticks seem to use these.

Ko Propo, Sanwa & Futaba all do a high end one which retail about £500 - £600 can't really comment on these.

That's about your lot for sticks, if you go for wheel there are loads of options.
Thanks for sharing about the Futaba radio. I've been away from racing for a few good years and was dreading the amount I would have to fork out for the updated KO radio. With the Futaba radio, do you have to stick with its own make receiver or can we use other manufacter RX's?
Old 29-10-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Racer View Post
Thanks for sharing about the Futaba radio. I've been away from racing for a few good years and was dreading the amount I would have to fork out for the updated KO radio. With the Futaba radio, do you have to stick with its own make receiver or can we use other manufacter RX's?
Generally with 2.4ghz you need to stick with the manufacturers receivers.

I know there's a few cheaper compatible receivers with sanwa, but not seen any for ko or futaba. Could be wrong on that. I drive sanwa so that's my main interest tbh.
Old 29-10-2020

For a great performing 2nd hand 2.4 you could look to find the Sanwa Gemini X.
Works with the cheap Sanwa receivers and the SMD ones so anything from £20 upwards and has great specs and settings.
Yes the Z and ZZ are more responsive but this will be a massive step up from 40mg. With a receiver can normally get them for about £80-120 depending if they have. Lipo battery.
Old 29-10-2020

Send a message via MSN to Dirt-Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesk View Post
Generally with 2.4ghz you need to stick with the manufacturers receivers.

I know there's a few cheaper compatible receivers with sanwa, but not seen any for ko or futaba. Could be wrong on that. I drive sanwa so that's my main interest tbh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev B View Post
For a great performing 2nd hand 2.4 you could look to find the Sanwa Gemini X.
Works with the cheap Sanwa receivers and the SMD ones so anything from £20 upwards and has great specs and settings.
Yes the Z and ZZ are more responsive but this will be a massive step up from 40mg. With a receiver can normally get them for about £80-120 depending if they have. Lipo battery.

I agree Sanwa do make good products and I still remember getting my first taste of moving up from the simple 27mhz radio to the bells and whistles of the Gemini back in the late early 90's but since moving to the US, my options have been limited to KO and thanks to you folks, Futaba does have a 4 channel stick that is useable. I'm going to search out Sanwa in these neck of the woods. Unless you guys know where I may get my hands on them?
Thanks for the response btw.