Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 14-02-2013

Default Tyre boiling smell any smell?

Is there any sort of smell from tyre boiling, i have heard that baking can smell your place out but i cant find much on boiling.

I dont like the sound of the acetone method so is boiling my best option?

My Trade Feedback
Old 14-02-2013

Boiling and cooking all poor options. I know you said you don't like the acetone option, but a bottle of £1 nail varnish remover in a container with a lid. Cut the main part of the tyre off and then place them all in the container and put the lid on. A couple of days and they just peel right off. You only need bout a cm in the bottom of the container. Works every time...
Team Corally
Exotek

www.batleybuggyclub.com
www.rccarshop.co.uk

Trader Feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169814
Old 14-02-2013
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

boiling or cooking them gives of dangerous fumes and alters the wheels just use acetone and a good old pair of merry golds
Old 14-02-2013

Location: Nottingham till I retire, then Caribbean or Palawan.

Boiling them stinks too. But I'd rather do that than have lots of acetone around.
Old 15-02-2013

There is a thread on the previous page -' removing old tyres'.

Full and lengthy discussion on the whole subject...

Boil 'em. Never smelt a thing and wheels seem fine.

Jimmy

Re-started 2012. With Caster SK10
Driving Xray XB4 & Precirotate PRS1 V2 for 2014.
Hobby Pro PRS1 V2 2WD and PRSB10 4WD for 2015
Team Inside Line Racing with PR Racing buggies for 2016, 2017 & 2018.
Old 15-02-2013
Mad Member

I always boil my tires off... There can be a slight smell of rubber in the air (and/or remains of dirt on/in your tires), but that smell is much milder than some new sets of tires (dBoots for example) - I just never had problems with fumes - just make sure you don't boil it until the pan has no water left in it
Old 15-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
I always boil my tires off... There can be a slight smell of rubber in the air (and/or remains of dirt on/in your tires), but that smell is much milder than some new sets of tires (dBoots for example) - I just never had problems with fumes - just make sure you don't boil it until the pan has no water left in it
Same here - always boiled tyres to good effect. Couple of things to remember:

• Either put the extractor fan on or leave the back door open as it tends to mist up all the windows in kitchen and then wife complains.
  • Need to acquire an old saucepan and lid because I don't think really think you want to be cooking in it afterwards due to superglue that will have evaporated in it and wife will complain if you wreck her decent saucepans.
  • Never let the saucepan run dry of water. Apparently if you set a saucepan of tyres boiling when you are at home one day and then pop into garage for a few minutes to work on your car and come out 3 hours later there is a lot of smoke and your kitchen stinks for about a week. Wife does not like that either.
If you are single a lot of the problems go away

Rob
Yokomo YZ4 SF2
Old 15-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Over the years I boiled, cooked and acetoned.

Cooking: 180 for about 5min, poss more dependant on the amount of glue.
results Can be a bit hit and miss, I used to take them out and run a screwdriver round to break the glue. the big down sides are burnt fingers, the kitchen and maybe about 50% of the house (dependant on the size of your mansion) will be enveloped in a toxic cyanid cloud the smell lasts for days, wife/girlfriend will go mad and everything you cook for the next week tastes of hot schumacher mini spikes, oh and it can deform wheels to, the old losi ones hated it!

Boiling: Never really worked for me once I started to use decent glue. but you will have to boil for ages, suffer 10% burns to your fingers from boiling hot water as you try to get the tyre off, you need to have a go when you get them out of the pan as I found you could get 90% of the tyre of then find the glue was still stuck on the final bit.

Acetone: Buy off ebay, have a small air tight container, if you are only doing a few pairs of wheels at a time you only need 1 or 2 ltrs of acetone. Then as said cut most of the tyre off only leaving the bead, shove in container put lid on and forget for a day or two.Then pull wheels out, simply pull old rubber of and shove in bin, wipe rim clean and it's like new! It's by far and away the safest and easiest method, if your worried keep it outside, shed, garage,bin store. It's not that unsafe....it's strong nail varnish remover after all

I do wear gloves when using as if you have cuts etc WOW it stings, even the fumes get you

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 15-02-2013

Thanks guys that's enough statements saying that i wont gas the house. truth is that i have done it before but i was only allowed to do it outside on the camping stove, problem with this is the gas is more expensive and in my eyes more wasteful and its could outside.

I'm having a hard time trying to prove that it will be fine indoors, having a mother is worse than having a wife.

My Trade Feedback
Old 15-02-2013
Banned

I've tried both the acetone and boiling methods with mixed (at best) results.

Acetone never really totally released the tires, unless my plan was to cut them off and replace the tyres and inserts completely, and I was always worried about the acetone drying out the plastic rims and making them brittle.
Boiling didn't really work at all, unless I was willing to monitor for upwards of an hour or more and keep an eye on the water boiling off and replenishing it in the pot. And maybe I've been using tougher CA, but they never totally released and left a lot of cleanup afterwards. Just a total pain.

Meanwhile, once I went to baking the tires I really didn't have any issues.
I tend to think the problems people have had, either with melting rims or tyres or with smelling up the house, was from using too high a temperature.
You're only needing to have temps high enough to release the CA - and I found that somewhere about 100-degrees celsius is perfect (preheat the oven, place tires on aluminum foil on a baking sheet, place in oven for 10 minutes per side/flipping tyres so each side is face down on the sheet for at least 5 minutes, and then wearing garden gloves to handle them, the tyres should break loose easily).
Just make sure and do it when the wife's not home, and work quickly, and then take the tyres outdoors once you've taken them loose so they can cool down for 30 minutes. Once they've cooled down they should no longer smell, and if you need to destroy the evidence give the kitchen a quick spray of room deodorizer.

I've now done this dozens of times, even swapping tyres from one set of rims to another (reusing the tyres, and rims, and foam and closed cell inserts) and it's worked flawlessly........ and the wifey's yet to notice.
Old 15-02-2013

hi
the very best method is to use a pressure cooker, very little small and the water boils at a much higher temp, so take shorter time and it keeps all the mess inside I empty mine out side.
you can pick them up in the charity shops for a few pounds and they hold several sets of wheels

carb