Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler > UK Short Course Nationals

Old 15-09-2014

Default Which SC Model to go for to race with?

OK so the RC hobby is addictive as I know and having just sorted which buggy I am starting with I would also like to get a SC to race with aswell as use for my own pleasure.

I looked on a couple of vids from the SC Nationals and the cars look nippy for their size, 2wd electric brushless I assume they are?

So what models are people racing with and what price are they approx. as I have seen and looked at videos of the HPI Blitz Flux which looks a pretty cool and wondered if these RTR models are upto spec for racing with or not please - but would also be grateful for other recommendations for me to look into please
cheers
Phil

the guy that won the nationals has or had the Team C TM2 SC I think - cant find it for sale here in the UK if anyone was going to recommend this model?

Last edited by whites75; 15-09-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 15-09-2014

Moss models can get the tm2sc which is the truck that Danny Conway and mark Everett uses that are top of the sc table,don't go for the blitz as they have limited tuning options,not catered for in the way of spares and hardly anyone runs them,you'll find most trucks are either Durango desc210r's or teamc sc or Losi 22sct's and sc10's but they too are losing favour towards the mid motor trucks,your best getting down to a meeting and having a look round the pits,I'd say go for one that you can get bits for the easiest..I've personally got a sc10.2 and a desc210r which both are competitive and easy to get in with..
and 65 other pre 1998 iconic rc cars....

Nosram Novak Orion lrp Reedy Turnigy Futaba Schumacher proline

ACTIVE SCALE MODELS.CO.UK........better than some other model shop's ive been too...
Old 15-09-2014

Hi there,

depends what video you saw, I uploaded the 4wd final from ARC. I personally run 4wd but there is both 2wd and 4wd classes.

The power systems used depends on which class you run, 4wd tend to have much more powerful motors such as 550 size 4pole motors from 3500kv upwards.

2wd tend to stay with 540 size motors ranging from anything like an 8.5t down to 6.5ish some may be lower for the brave, they tend to be lower powered than 4wd as they cannot put the power as easily without pulling the front wheels up in the air,

RTR kits will do the job and with the right tyres and the right driver its surprising what you can do. That said if you want to race at the front then invariably its going to cost you more. The main reason I went 4wd is due to the extra strength of the cars, I ran a slash 4x4(that is for sale ready to race if your interested) and that got me a B Final win an A final finish and a 3rd in the B Final at various rounds in the SC Nationals an that was before I fitted the Pro Trac wide arm kit. I now run the Tekno SCT410 which is the strongest SC truck I have ever seen and with the right electrics its damn fast too.

Theres a couple of angles to look at this, go RTR and start from scratch, buy a cheap roller and start from scratch or get a hardcore competition truck and start from scratch. Whichever way you go its a massive learning curve if your relatively new.

Prices vary for RTR from say £180 upto £510 but you will still need a load of other stuff such as transponder, wheels, tyres, lipos, body, spares etc which all adds up. All my slash stuff is going as part of the sale you could save a fortune with that as it has all you need (apart from a different TX/RX as it dont like the servo thats in it)

Danny Conway is the man to talk to about the Team C truck, nice looking bit of kit but im sure he could still win with a stock blitz LOL The most popular chassis in the 2wd class at the SC Nats is by far the Durango Desc210, affordable and light with great setup options, however they do seem a little fragile. Much the same in 4wd with most running Durango Desc410 with Mark Everitt and Danny Conway running the team C. The Tekno turned a few heads last time out though

If your interested in the TEKNO SCT410 take a look on my website, http://teamkirk.co.uk they are available from DMS RACING for £330 but its a chassis kit only, no wheels/tyres/electrics or body.

Last edited by Justingt5; 15-09-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 15-09-2014

If it's 2wd your interested in avoid a rear motor truck,although you can compete with one the mid motor layout is far more suitable to the majority of the tracks used in the nationals (astro) .
The team c looks a cracking bit of kit,the Durango is a good truck and I don't think it's any more fragile than any other truck although the rear hinge pin hangers need upgrading but then again it's a very cheap kit to buy. The kyosho looks good but it's ridiculously priced
Old 15-09-2014

Thanks for your comments guys
Yes 2wd is the team c tm2sc and 4wd is a durango desc410v2
Mark also uses the teamc tm2sc but also uses the team c 4wd aswell

I can get the team c tm2sc if you are interestred pm me

Old 15-09-2014

thanks a lot guys for the input - I spoke to a chap on the phone today, very helpful one thing I did forget about, as I was speaking when working was the 2WD and 4WD, I honestly am not sure whether to get 2 or 4WD. Other than the bit more speed/power and stronger builds why would someone choose one over the other?

One thing I don't know but how fast do these things go approx., some look mighty fast but its hard to tell properly on a video on a pc lol ........I just played on a FTX Carnage (brushed version) which was ok but didn't seem all that fast to be fair but its good to play about with. If it was a simple and not expensive job I would seriously try to convince the owner (my dad) to convert it to a brushless system lol

Last edited by whites75; 15-09-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 15-09-2014

Just realised that the next meeting this sunday is in Grantham, is it near the motorway/easy to find ........I might see if its a possibility to come and watch the excitement for the day. I would be travelling from Halifax, west Yorks, so am guessing its a couple of hours drive away?

having never been to one before is there plenty of racing to see, as I would come for the day, or is it more a case of if your not busy adjusting the cars etc then its ok to drop in for an hour or so if your local, if that makes sense?
Old 15-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by whites75 View Post
thanks a lot guys for the input - I spoke to a chap on the phone today, very helpful one thing I did forget about, as I was speaking when working was the 2WD and 4WD, I honestly am not sure whether to get 2 or 4WD. Other than the bit more speed/power and stronger builds why would someone choose one over the other?

One thing I don't know but how fast do these things go approx., some look mighty fast but its hard to tell properly on a video on a pc lol ........I just played on a FTX Carnage (brushed version) which was ok but didn't seem all that fast to be fair but its good to play about with. If it was a simple and not expensive job I would seriously try to convince the owner (my dad) to convert it to a brushless system lol
2wd SCT is as quick as a 2wd buggy, I would say or at least it is in my unskilled hands
Old 15-09-2014
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider SCT View Post
If it's 2wd your interested in avoid a rear motor truck,although you can compete with one the mid motor layout is far more suitable to the majority of the tracks used in the nationals (astro) .
The team c looks a cracking bit of kit,the Durango is a good truck and I don't think it's any more fragile than any other truck although the rear hinge pin hangers need upgrading but then again it's a very cheap kit to buy. The kyosho looks good but it's ridiculously priced

Mid or forward motor would be best although Danny would win with no motor probably
Old 15-09-2014

ok great, cheers - will look to get one with middle or forward motor then as opposed to rear
Old 15-09-2014

There'll be plenty of racing to watch through out the day with 4 qualifying rds and 3 finals for each driver in each class so plenty of action mate
Old 15-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss Models View Post
Mid or forward motor would be best although Danny would win with no motor probably
I think seeing as Mr Conway has already took the crowns he ought to push his trucks around at A1 lol
Old 15-09-2014

Default Durango sc

I've got to butt in and say that there is NOTHING brittle a bout DURANGO sc or build quality at all.

I agree that the rear plastic hanger is a must swap for ally but other than that there is absolutely nothing wrong trust me I have 4 of them (old race cars that are now shelf queens) not for any other reason...

But which ever car your get it will be good to have another sc driver hope to see u on or off the track sometime soon....
Old 15-09-2014

Quote:
There'll be plenty of racing to watch through out the day with 4 qualifying rds and 3 finals for each driver in each class so plenty of action mate
ok cool - will know better end of week if I can come over and watch the excitement with a flask and some sarnies lol
Old 15-09-2014

Anyone know some decent UK videos for the 2wd sct racing here in the UK, only seen a couple or so but there is loads of American stuff about. No idea if their cars are heavily modified etc but there looks quite a difference in 2wd and 4wd, the latter looks MUCH faster?

Anyone know how the decent 2wd sct compare in speed to the brushed ftx carnage, as the carnage I played with is not really that quick to be fair?
Old 15-09-2014

Don't know about videos but the cars aren't a mile apart in performance and no of laps completed in heats/finals, check out the results on the uksc nats website for yourself

Bare in mind the 4wd 's are running more powerfull motors but they're heavier,they do have 2x the traction on acceleration and braking though.............

And 4wd is cheating! ;-) lol
Old 15-09-2014

Quote:
Don't know about videos but the cars aren't a mile apart in performance and no of laps completed in heats/finals, check out the results on the uksc nats website for yourself

Bare in mind the 4wd 's are running more powerfull motors but they're heavier,they do have 2x the traction on acceleration and braking though.............

And 4wd is cheating! ;-) lol
lol - liking the look of the Losi 22 sct (2wd), which should I have a crack at some racing should be ok and not get lapped too many times by the rest lol
Old 15-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by whites75 View Post
Anyone know some decent UK videos for the 2wd sct racing here in the UK, only seen a couple or so but there is loads of American stuff about. No idea if their cars are heavily modified etc but there looks quite a difference in 2wd and 4wd, the latter looks MUCH faster?

Anyone know how the decent 2wd sct compare in speed to the brushed ftx carnage, as the carnage I played with is not really that quick to be fair?

Last years final round at A1 Racing Club shows how quick they can be:

http://youtu.be/UV_P2KovoUw

the track has grown somewhat as well now:
Old 15-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyro View Post
Last years final round at A1 Racing Club shows how quick they can be:

http://youtu.be/UV_P2KovoUw

the track has grown somewhat as well now:
loved that pal - thanks a lot for posting. Looks fun for sure. Would LOVE to have a go in the beginners class when I get mine lol. Track looks sweet too
Old 16-09-2014

Can't beat a god bit of racing to start the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq0MjW79Umc

With a modified race like this one, what's the difference to a 'normal' race - are they just allowed bigger more powerful motors on the cars?