Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 07-04-2012

Default 502x wheel hex problem

over the past few weeks i have had problems with the wheel hexes breaking on the front.

last night when i glued up my tamiya rims with yellow spikes. when i put them the car i couldnt get the wheel to insert onto the hex.

i took the pin out and hex off the car and tryed to fit the hex inside the wheel.
no way was it going to fit in. 2 corners slightly made it in and i now see why my hexes are breaking as when the wheel is pushed onto the hex its a very tight fit causing the hex to snap once the nut is tightened up as its not a loose fit.

these are tamiya rims, i have a set of losi rims and the hex just falls into it with a perfect fit.

has this been pointed out to tamiya and has anyone else had problems with the rims. if you havent maybe ive just been unlucky, who knows but this is not good.

2002, 3 , 4
B.R.C.A Scottish indoor TC champion.
2005......... B.R.C.A Open modified Scottish TC champion.
2011....... Scottish Indoor OFF-ROAD champion.
2012 ......... Scottish SORC Off-Road Runner up.

My oOple Trader feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84630
Old 07-04-2012
Mad Member

I've had several tamiya wheels which are a really tight fit, on one pair of front I had to use a small scalpel blade to trim the wheel hex slighter larger to allow it to fit.

You could always warm up a hex off of the car and push into the wheel whilst hot, this would make a much better fit.

If you need more wheel hexes drop me a p.m, I think I may have 1 spares set in stock.
Old 07-04-2012

I believe Tamiya did this on purpose because Lee tested them out on carpet surfaces and found the prototypes to strip out, just like associated do once in a while. So they made the hex just a tiny bit smaller for a better, more snug fit.
The trick to fit them is to line them up and screw the nut on. The nut will force the wheel on to the hex and make a perfect fit. It will not fit by hand, you'll have to use this method. Tamiya never mentioned this when the wheels were released which is an error.
Old 07-04-2012

Never had any problems getting wheels on. Like Jan says just put it on slightly, line it up then tighten up which then forces the wheel onto the hex. Once the wheels been on it'll go back on easily after that.
Mon son sort yerself oooooottt.
Scotty....
Old 07-04-2012
Mad Member

Default wheel hexes

Martin, i had this problem before too. I feel the problem is the hex shape on the wheel is too shallow and also the Tamiya wheel is pretty soft.

Associated wheels are a better option i think.

Dave
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 07-04-2012

Just buy a B44.1 instead.
Old 07-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Larsen View Post
I believe Tamiya did this on purpose because Lee tested them out on carpet surfaces and found the prototypes to strip out, just like associated do once in a while. So they made the hex just a tiny bit smaller for a better, more snug fit.
The trick to fit them is to line them up and screw the nut on. The nut will force the wheel on to the hex and make a perfect fit. It will not fit by hand, you'll have to use this method. Tamiya never mentioned this when the wheels were released which is an error.

certainly aint no trick for me jan as i couldnt even push the hex in with force with my thumbs, as j.t said i also had to trim it with a blade just to get it to fit, its still pretty tight, even though ive done this and doesnt feel comfortable.

if they were made tight then this should have been pointed out.

like you say dave the hex is to shallow on the tamiya rim and pretty soft. i stripped a hex out of the tamiya rim at chaderton.

j.t, lee martin is sending me wheel hexes but cheers.

looks like it will be ae or losi rims now on.

2002, 3 , 4
B.R.C.A Scottish indoor TC champion.
2005......... B.R.C.A Open modified Scottish TC champion.
2011....... Scottish Indoor OFF-ROAD champion.
2012 ......... Scottish SORC Off-Road Runner up.

My oOple Trader feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84630