Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 08-04-2013

Default New Tamiya TRF 2wd

with it being a worlds year will Tamiya release a new gen TRF 2wd to compete with all the rear mount mid mount options our there? I hope so cause I would love to take a new TRF 2wd to the worlds this year... any rumours or information out there?
Old 08-04-2013

I am waiting for a new TRF 2wd too, but disappointingly TRF201 B parts reinforced(item 54487) have just been released, so I guess tamiya will not release a new gen TRF 2wd in the short term.
Old 08-04-2013
Mad Member

The B-parts would be the last thing I'd want in reinforced plastic on the TRF201...

Anyway, I'm not expecting a Gen 2 TRF201 soon either. There are some parts I'd redo on the TRF201 (such as making a +8mm chassis) and that haven't been released.

I think Lee will test a few things for the Worlds, pick those that work and that Tamiya will release an upgrade kit for the TRF201. I'd rather see them making a completely new mid car and releasing a 201.1, but the current situation works for Tamiya: Vega offers a mid solution (and so does Atomic Carbon) and making new moulds isn't justified yet for their 2WD comp. buggy.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but this I think is the way it is and to be honest, the TRF201 is a solid performer so if they'd get more guys offering support for Tamiya at the track and for spares in Europe it would help a lot
Old 08-04-2013

There is an 8mm conversion avaiable for the 201 which I and others on here use. I've been very pleased with improvements it brings. I have been looking at other mid 2wd's around but I'm not sure i have talent to make show a big step forward.
As for spares I've not had a problem but I have a 502 and a lot of the parts are interchangeable with each other, eBay is usefully for finding most bits.

jK
Old 09-04-2013

It should be nice to see them do something to help all of us who fly the TRF colors in a world's year. The 201 is a great car, but it just seems like Tamiya is not interested in off-road. The on-road program is so strong, but it seems like off-road is an after thought at times. Here in the states, Tamiya has virtually no drivers or support in my area. My 502 and 201 are like novelty items. I wish they would add some team drivers and upgrade their cars on a more consistent basis. At least you guys have Lee to support, we have basically nobody. Rant over, I will be heading to the Worlds and will be supporting TRF.
I hope they shock us all with something new, we can always hope!
Old 09-04-2013

Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie Top Force

It is really hard to say what TRF will do. Earlier in the year in the USA Lee M. ran a +8mm 201 rear motor at Reedy race, with a few other mods. At Cactus Classic he ran an entirely new carbon graphite mid motor chassis. Seems to depend upon the track.

Thus TRF need to produce a car like Durango, TLR and Kyosho that is capable of being swapped from mid to rear motor depending on conditions, + have big bores, and longer wheel base.

I have run the exotec +8mm conversion and it makes the car more stable at speed and jumps better. However, it is less forgiving in corners due to less flex. Steering is generally not affected.

Lastly TRF need a to sponsor 1 or 2 top US drivers in off-road, especially if they are serious about wining an off-road world title!

David
Secretary/Treasurer
Southern Highlands Off Road R/C Car Club Inc.
(NSW Australia)
http://shorrcccinfo.wix.com/shorrccc
www.facebook.com/SHORRCCC
Old 09-04-2013

Maybe try F1 and the new TRF101?
2WD and midmotor...
Old 10-04-2013

It seems Tamiya must either be on the verge of releasing some really competetive, and perhaps competetively priced kits, or they are just giving up on Off-road competition-level cars for the time being. It's a fast-paced industry, and in my area 4WD and 2WD buggy is coming back big-time. Guys are bored with Short-Course (which was extremely popular here) and the poeple who learned to drive on SC trucks are now looking for the refinement and performance you only get with buggy-class. Clearly AE, Schumacher, Kyosho, X Ray, Durango, Losi, and others have recognized this trend and are bringing awesome cars to the market, at some pretty amazing prices, when compared to what you get. Tamiya was always committed to buggies, and never release an SC platform, so you would think this would be the big chance they were waiting for.

But where is Tamiya? Nowhere to be seen. They must want it that way for their own reasons, or they are planning something big (hopefully). Maybe there is simply more money to be made in re-issues of 'Vanessa's Lunchbox'?

Last edited by kidcongo; 10-04-2013 at 04:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 19-04-2013

Update in the form of a conversion is on the way:

http://tamiyablog.com/2013/04/drawin...01-ifmar-2013/

Will also be mid motor capable with help of optional parts.
Old 19-04-2013
Mad Member

Lol that doesn't at all look like a Losi 22 chassis

That said, good that at least they are making updates to the TRF201. I'm not surprised to see it's mostly aluminium - with the low sales it's a much smaller investment. I can imagine it goes pretty well but I'm also curious how much input and testing there was from the pro drivers developing this as it looks so much like a chassis from another car.

I'm interested in the update, but it really depends on the price of it. The tentative price is pretty ridiculous (some 200 euros) - for that money I can buy a new kit from another brand! I know these prices usually go down, but even at half that money I am better off chopping two tubs if to get a longer chassis Not yet even speaking of Exotek's solution to the problem!

@Nissemon: How will it be mid-compatible? Will Tamiya release a 4-gear casing?
Old 19-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Agree just like a 22 or is it a rb6,hobao
Old 19-04-2013

I'm struggling to see how that 'new' chassis can be turned into a mid-motor... there's just no room for the motor in mid config.

You would have to have another, longer chassis for it to be a mid-motor capable. Surely thats not a genuine Tamiya conversion is it ??
Old 20-04-2013

I´m guessing a 4-gear casing and shock tower moved to the rear. Like RB6 and 22.

Think we can expect a complete kit later this year.
With new chassis and gearbox, it´s almost a brand new car.

I´m glad that Lee get´s some new parts to play with at worlds and other races this year. I´m sure it will give him some extra energy as well.

Of course, the rest of us will also get some new energy and the chance to spend some money...
Old 20-04-2013

Default 201 Upgrades

Don't forget the new Big Bore shocks.
This new conversion will give Lee a shot at the Worlds race.
Old 20-04-2013

Send a message via MSN to Junior Z

Maybe the futur TRF201 look like that:

http://tamiyablog.com/

Old 20-04-2013

It says conversion kit, to be released in july. ( I can read japanese)
Old 22-04-2013

42253 TRF201 Chassis Conversion Set

Translated info

Product introduction

TRF201 that I aimed at the 2013 IFMAR Off-Road World Championship win.
11mm long wheel base metal chassis adoption! !
Three years from the debut of 2010.
In performing the racing activities TRF, and dared test while exploring various possibilities.
I have developed a conversion parts to achieve the "chassis of narrow and long wheel base" which was derived from it.
I adopt the lower deck with the specification (A7075) aluminum material of high strength, achieve a reduction in road surface interference by the narrow of the improvement of the running stability of long wheelbase by (+11 mm).
Subjected to hard-anodized, lower deck surface up the durability.
Side guard which served as the adjustment of chassis rigidity parts machined resin with high accuracy.
It corresponds to size Straight, such as separate type, the battery can also be selected mounting position.
The use of standard front and rear suspension, a wealth of options can also be used as it is.

The set includes (planned);
- Lower aluminum deck
- Carbon battery plate
- Aluminum battery posts
- Aluminum front post
- Aluminum Rear Post
- Aluminum suspension spacer
- High precision plastic side guards
Old 22-04-2013

Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie Top Force

Ok then! May as well buy a TLR22? So were is the space for the ESC? Mount it on top of the battery brace? Think I'll just keep using the Exotec conversion.

David
Secretary/Treasurer
Southern Highlands Off Road R/C Car Club Inc.
(NSW Australia)
http://shorrcccinfo.wix.com/shorrccc
www.facebook.com/SHORRCCC
Old 22-04-2013
Mad Member

Well, the chassis plate indeed is sure an awful lot like the TLR22 - the rest of course not so much. Anyway, I'm also inclined to buy the Exotek kit but print a T-plate out of (fibre-filled) nylon instead so I can test back to back what works better for rear end traction and durability.

To be honest I think it might be best to wait for Tamiya to come with a full kit rather than just the conversion, or a whole new car even. If they release a kit with this chassis in there you can expect them to move to moulded sidepods and a lower price for the whole package.
Old 22-04-2013

If the price is correct, then around £180 is a lot of money in my mind. Would it be better to go for one of the mid conversions that are around?

Think ill stick with my +8.0mm extension kit for now.

jK