Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > YORCC - York

Old 15-01-2013

Send a message via MSN to robpearce255

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
Thats ok then if there's been one accident allready there won't be anymore

Like i said in a previous post it's up to the committee if they want to do anything about the speed of the cars.....
You can wear a cup and a helmet to racing if you like! That doesn't have to pass inspection of the committee! haha I simply believe it was a one off rare accient and it's over and done with. We did try to slow the run up to the jump, that was the whole idea of the ripples, unfortunately it backfired as it caused jamie to spear off into us. I am already discussing the next layout on facebook chat with Rich and we are planning to change things up a bit to make things safer. So it hasn't fallen on deaf ears, we are considering what's been said and are going to plan and build this weeks track accordingly.
Old 15-01-2013

If you have any ideas or concerns please can you raise this to a member of the committee rather then putting this on a public forum or send me a PM.

Best Regards

Steve Pierce
Old 16-01-2013

Send a message via MSN to robpearce255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
If you have any ideas or concerns please can you raise this to a member of the committee rather then putting this on a public forum or send me a PM.

Best Regards

Steve Pierce
I agree, any issues shouldn't be raised on here. I'm a committee member myself and welcome any input from other racers, whether I agree or not, but the issue should have been raised to one of us before going public and getting out of hand (sorry john). We will use the ideas to alter the track for this week to make it safer. The motor limiting issue is unlikely to get very far but can still be raised to the committee for discussion at a committe meeting or by yourself at the agm. Jerry is the driver's rep but any of us can pass on your thoughts.
Old 16-01-2013

The comment about toy cars not breaking legs or causing injury is silly, ask rich lowe about off road wars at maritime 2 years ago when a person got hit in the head and was knocked out the car being launched by a innocent looking foot high tabletop!
Be careful as the ambulance chasers love our sport for a claim the legal wording being a duty of care to your members.
This is what brought in the hi-vis jackets for marshalling etc
Old 16-01-2013
oOple Tattoo Dancer!

what a load of BOLLOCKS 10th cars dont brake legs rob ask my dad this question as he chipped a bone in a accident at york with a car coming over a jump and hitting his shin you are speaking aload of rubbish and need to get a grip IF U WANT I CAN RUN MY DURANGO AT YOUR FOOT AND YOU CAN WATCH MY DURANGO SMASH INTO PEICES LOL AND YOUR FOOT BE OK

as for the building of tracks i help infact im 1 of only a very few that do ive always said big air jumps are stupid and i also think somthing does need doing about the speed as if a car its you down the straight then they WILL brake a ancle

shane foot

Last edited by footey; 16-01-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 16-01-2013

I wouldn't usually comment on threads, but this one does raise some interesting points about our hobby.

It is true that the cars can go very fast now, but too fast basically comes down to the skill of the individual driver. Nobody is forced to hurtle down the straights at ballistic speeds, I do however appreciate that the goal is racing and speed equal success right?

Technology has changed dramatically since I first took up this sport, and now you can buy off the shelf equipment to match the speeds of the top team drivers; but good luck matching their speed over 5 minutes. When I was starting out there was a huge gulf between the equipment the sponsored drivers got their hands on and what you could get down your local model shop. (An interesting side note: Masami Hirosaka, back in the day before lipos, used to run his car so fast it would have been impossible for him to last a 5 min. race at full speed. Therefore, he used to drive his car at 3/4 throttle! Now that takes skill!!)

This meant 2 things; that the guys with the faster cars were the ones who could handle it and those starting out could develop their skills and learn race craft (a term seldom heard these days!). Personally I'm an advocate of the technology these days as it provides a completely level playing field; there are no excuses except for driving alone. I always use my slower motor at York because it is a small track; lap times are not determined by straight line speed, they are by skill and set up - Set up is King!!

Finally regarding the jumps, which I will keep brief at this is more a committee and club issue, there has always been the issue of how difficult should a track be. The better drivers want something technical to test their skills, and those starting out would like something simply to provide the necessary practice to improve. My suggestion would be this; looking at the normal race calendar there are 2 points nights and 2 regular club nights a month, so why not make the track appropriate for each? Well, that's just my opinion anyway!!
Old 16-01-2013
Mad Member

Id be gutted if they decided to limit motor turns here. I'm just getting smooth and consistent with my 6.5t. I'd feel like I was taking a step backwards.

I think people need to just use their own judgement. If your struggling to put in a few clean laps on the trot, maybe then slow it down a bit?

I did get hit at the oople race last year on the doubles. My ankle was pretty sore for a couple weeks. This is why we have insurence though isnt it? Other motor sports are way more dangerous
Old 16-01-2013
YORCC legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpearce255 View Post
I agree, any issues shouldn't be raised on here. I'm a committee member myself and welcome any input from other racers, whether I agree or not, but the issue should have been raised to one of us before going public and getting out of hand (sorry john). We will use the ideas to alter the track for this week to make it safer. The motor limiting issue is unlikely to get very far but can still be raised to the committee for discussion at a committe meeting or by yourself at the agm. Jerry is the driver's rep but any of us can pass on your thoughts.
Jerry writes: Steven Pierce and I are the Drivers' Reps - Steven for RHR and myself for Huntington. If you want to put something forward, drop me a line and I'll make sure it gets heard. "The Committee" isn't some secret inner-club, it's people like me, Rob Pearce, Mike, Matt etc etc. We're as keen as everyone to keep people happy and safe. You can email me direct at jerry@jerryibbotson.co.uk on this and any other club matter.
Old 16-01-2013

There seems to be a lot of differing opinions here and people getting slightly aggregated, perhaps everyone should just take a deep breath before we need to have Piers Morgan to host a live debate on CNN...

Its model car racing, not shark wrestling. Anything you do in life could be described as 'dangerous' by an outsider. Acceptable risk is something we are all aware of, however its naturally set at a different level from person to person.

If you don't want to run the risk of getting a broken / fractured / bruised ankle from being hit by a car while marshaling, then wear boots. If your not happy with the marshaling position near a jump (or indeed anywhere) then speak to race control, or just move to a safer position.

Pay attention when your marshaling and don't put yourself in harms way. Be responsible for your own safety first, then the safety of others. I was marshaling near the main jump a before xmas and felt some cars were a bit close to my head and chest for comfort, so I moved further down towards the landing, this was where cars usually require assistance anyway. To my knowledge nobody complained, and it didn't affect anyone's race.

Whether your running a boosted 10.5 or a 6.5 the car will still be traveling at the same approximate speed, and it still weighs the same.

When you get hit by a car it hurts, but its naive to think that a car hitting one person will cause the same damage as if it hit someone else. For example, my brother stacked a motorcycle on a trackday at Cadwell Park and walked away perfectly alright, someone else crashed in the same place at the same speed in a later session and went to hospital in an ambulance.

Accidents will sometimes happen, the best way to limit the chances of them happening one is being aware that actions usually have consequences, and having an awareness of whats going on around you. Yes there is always a chance you will get hit by a car someday, if that falls outside of your own personal level of acceptable risk, then don't race toy cars.

The thread drift onto safety seems to have come about due to what was a freak accident last week, and all parties involved know this. I think the guys who build the track do a great job, and they have already stated they have taken on board the comments regarding the jump position and will look at it when building the track next week.

Whether the issue of the mod class cars outright speed being appropriate for the size of the track is something for people much more experienced than me to discuss, I am just a newbie who struggles with a 17.5

G
Old 16-01-2013
YORCC legend

Just to lighten the mood, I think we can all agree that what's needed is a new class for one of these:

http://tamiyablog.com/wp-content/upl...ng-wheelie.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col
edit...

Last edited by Col; 16-01-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 16-01-2013

Could agree more Jerry, what we all need is an image telling us that hotlinking is not allowed... :P

I think the vast majority of people need a chill pill. It was me who got hit in the giblets and as I said at the time, shit happens, deal with it and move on. I personally am more concerned about the kids marshalling than i am about another freak accident. I raced motocross for 8 years and accepting that the sport you do has risk is part and parcel.

I suggest instead of whining about things being too fast and the jumps being terrible, you all get involved with the building of the tracks and stop putting retarded motors in your cars. Its not rocket science people, if the speed is a problem for you, go slower. If the jump is a problem, get involved and do something about it.

I complained about the jumps about a year ago, i got shouted at from that day on, i decided to do something about the jumps. Guess what happened? I got the jumps I wanted every time I built one... Weird how that works eh?

AC

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 16-01-2013

dont quote me on this but i think marshals are not covered by insurance that was the rhumor going round a couple of years ago when i was doing outdoor touring cars thats why no sighting laps were allowed all cars had to be parked in a designated area when you finished so marshals could get to there points without traffic the insurance is for third parties not participants
Old 17-01-2013

I have recently stepped down from a 6.5T to a 10.5T motor, and my lap times have dropped and my driving has improved as I am applying the throttle rather than being scared of it. Even on a big track like Worksop, I was still able to qualify a couple of finals higher up than I normally do.

I think the issue is relatively new drivers putting 5.5T or 6.5T motors in as it is what they are told by the shops or mates to do, and then being very much out out of control.

I bet at York, Rich only gains 0.2-0.4 seconds per lap from having a 5.5T motor rather than a 8.5-10.5T motor? How many of us are lapping consistently within 0.2-0.4 seconds every lap and only having one to two offs in a five min race? If you can answer yes to this, then drop down in motor turns.

It may feel like losing face puting a slower motor in, but you can still have the top speed with today's speedos and the controllability in the infield sections.

The 4WD C final on Saturday was entertaining to marshell, but can't have been very satisfying for the drivers, who were each trying to be fastest to crashing at the next corner.

This isn't one for the committee, it's about people being man enough to put a slower motor in their car and realise that they'll improve, enjoy their racing more, and not look quite as daft. Personally, I'm quite happy with people putting 5.5T motors in, as they are one more person I don't have to worry about beating.

PS It was a pretty freaky incident, and hats off to Jamie for hitting such a small target.
Old 17-01-2013

Small? I'll show you just how wrong you are on Saturday... like i said to the medic, take the pain doc, but leave the swelling...

Anyways, being a scum fan, I bet you wish your clubs debt was as small... mwahahaha

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 17-01-2013

I've just been looking at how worn my tyres and they aren't that bad are and I was just wondering if it was more slippery than usual last Saturday.

Maybe due to the weather?

Regards,
Slowcoach!

P.S. Just bought a 3.5 and esc combo!!! for the next 4wd champ night.

*JOKING*
Old 17-01-2013
YORCC legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin A View Post

PS It was a pretty freaky incident, and hats off to Jamie for hitting such a small target.
Ha.

Like waving a sausage in the Albert Hall.
Old 17-01-2013

Default Cheap motors

Hi all yorcc members

I have a special offer on motors
540 brushed 21t motors @ £5 each ( 4 Instock )
17.5 speed passion motors @ £35 each ( 2 Instock )
7.5 & 8.5 speed passion v3 @ £45 each ( 3 Instock )
If there is any thing else I can help with call me. 07903389921

Cheers jason @ moss models ( yorcc shop )

Ps see you all Saturday night for a good nights racing.