Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 08-12-2005
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default VTEC4200's

check these out!!! http://www.lrp-electronic.com/e/main_frameset_e.htm

4200 cell is awesome, slightly better voltage then latest 3800's (which was already a lot more then 3700's) and something like 550s runtime
Old 08-12-2005
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Thank god I didn't invest in 3700's / 3800's for the indoors season. With so many cells types / capacities being released I though best to wait till next years outdoors. I bet there will be something better by then !

Personally I think it's getting a bit silly and expensive for the club / regional racer to try to keep up with battery technology.

When will these 'latest' cells be legal for use ?
Old 08-12-2005
Administrator

Are these cells of a legal size? the names like big bubba or whatever (haha) make it sound like they're oversized ?? are the previous versions legal ?
These and a brushless would make for some good practice time anyway!
Old 08-12-2005
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

I thought 3700's were pushing sizes in cars (were in mine) 4200's will most definately be bigger i would have though.
Old 09-12-2005

Send a message via MSN to buzz

I saw some prototype 4000's at BCGP and they were quite a bit bigger :shock:
Old 09-12-2005
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

a mate of mine, where he works they have an office in germany, and he went there a while back and saw some 4200, they had the make the cells square!!

wounder if manufacturers would make cells square eventually? i mean youd be able to have a bigger capacity surely?
Old 09-12-2005
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

they are aiming to be legal for 2006, no one will know for sure until april 1st 2006 but if LRP are trying to get them legal then they must be within the limits.

the 3800 'fat boy' cells were no bigger than GP3700s so that 'big mama' name might be a little miss leading.

personally, for club, regional, or even national anything more than 3300 is enough, volts are the main thing, I think Cragg was only using 3300's this year and he was not disadvantaged.

higher capacity does help to keep the volts higher over the whole run but its not 'needed'

regarding the square cells, I am not sure it would help, the way that batteries are made up leads them well suited to a cylinger shape, even the square batteries still had round ends (if that mades sense)
Old 09-12-2005
Spends too long on oOple ...

I read somewhere, theoreticaly, the size cell that 38's come in are capable of up to 4500mAh within them. I did read somewhere about EFRA looking at 'limiting' power in TC class in mod.

In the end, you don't NEED to go buy these new cells, if your cells are still performing admirably, then no need, but when you DO need to buy new cells, there will be a lot of choice for you, which could mean a price war (but I doubt it).

I would of thought that maybe longer races might be the end result of all this extra capacity, but then, those who used to dump when the like of Mr Doughty was using 1700 in RRCi, still dumped on 2400, then on 3300 cells.
Old 09-12-2005
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I have just got confirmation that the VTEC4200 cell is the same size as the VTEC3800 that is no bigger than the GP3700.

only differance between VTEC3800 and VTEC4200 physically is that the 4200 is 1.5gramms heavier
Old 09-12-2005
Super Moderator

Yeah, they just pack more in them!

I might be having a trip to see GP soon, I'll ask what they're planning....
Old 09-12-2005
Administrator

northy, is that your holiday sorted then ? :shock: