Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 23-09-2012
Mad Member

Default SV2 steel idler gears

Hi

Built 2 SV2s recently for son and myself.

First one has reasonably free gearbox and sounds fine. Second one has sounded rougher from the start but I put this down to the high points that the manual mentions.

Now run both cars for a meeting yesterday and second car still sounds rough. Removed pinion this evening and it still has a slight high point. Took cover off the steel idler gears and they have a slight red-ish tinge to them and the inside of the cover has a fine red-ish dust on it - see pics. High point does seem to be between these 2 gears. Other car is completely clear of this.

Is this normal and will it go away in time?

Any help appreciated.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120923_182443.jpg (117.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20120923_182757.jpg (47.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 23-09-2012

You just need to put some grease on them, just standard bearing grease will do the trick. It's important to do it when the gears are new to help bed them in, no damage will be done after your 1st nights running (the red-ish tinge is just fretting from the gears being dry).

James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
Hi

Built 2 SV2s recently for son and myself.

First one has reasonably free gearbox and sounds fine. Second one has sounded rougher from the start but I put this down to the high points that the manual mentions.

Now run both cars for a meeting yesterday and second car still sounds rough. Removed pinion this evening and it still has a slight high point. Took cover off the steel idler gears and they have a slight red-ish tinge to them and the inside of the cover has a fine red-ish dust on it - see pics. High point does seem to be between these 2 gears. Other car is completely clear of this.

Is this normal and will it go away in time?

Any help appreciated.

Rob
Old 23-09-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

I put diff oil on mine, not a problem.
Old 23-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeandfizz View Post
You just need to put some grease on them, just standard bearing grease will do the trick. It's important to do it when the gears are new to help bed them in, no damage will be done after your 1st nights running (the red-ish tinge is just fretting from the gears being dry).

James.
Ok, thanks James, will do.

Cheers

Rob