Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 05-03-2010

Default is the losi xx really a vintage chassis yet

hi guys can the losi xx really be classified as a vintage yet ?still seems to be a few knocking around and the spares stil appear to be readilly available on the bay the only parts i dont seem to be able to find at the mo is 1 the spur gear cover 2 the wing wire 3 the wing buttons cant remember when losi discontinued it now must of been around 2000 but then again not sure when the xxx came out so how long since the last production run has to pass b4 it becomes a vintage? im thinking of getting mine up and running again after doing a few mods to get a wing on it id be interested to see how it competes against the modern b4 and xxx and the xfactory cars at the local club
Old 05-03-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I still race a XXCR and had this discussion with a mate last night. For it's age I would say yes, for it handling and being a good car I'd say no.

You'll struggle to get gear covers and wing clips, the only way we have is by buying complete cars and then making a good car etc.

Hence why we've got 9 cars in the garage and enough spares for another two.

We started making a XX shelf queen last night. Will be getting my XXCR ready for the new summer season shortly

I'm also tempted to build a XX brushed set-up with hydra drive etc.

If you look at my photos under my profile you'll see my race XXCR
Old 05-03-2010

Mmm... I forgot that the XX's first big meeting was the World Championships held here in Blighty way back in 1993 where Joel Johnson took TQ - not sure if the XX was commercially available then - but it was up against the old Ali-tubbed RC10s of Masami Hirosaka[sp?] & Brian Kinwald (who eventually won). So its certainly quite an old design but where as the RC10 (generally considered 'vintage') was coming to the end of its production - the Losi was just beginning - & would be joined by the B2 & B3 on the track.... and since production ran until about 1999 ish, would you consider a ten year old car vintage??

I find it amazing that the XX can still cut the mustard against the newer cars, but then the rules for the class have hardly changed since 1-10th off road racing began so the scope of development I guess is limited - for my money I prefered my old DoubleX over the TripleX I replaced it with
Old 07-03-2010

Really hope it is classified as a vintage as I have just bought one to go vintage racing at Hinckley!

I remember going to the Worlds in '93 in Basildon, where the XX first appeared. It was a big thing, as it was the first moulded tub chassis. Here it shows it was released in '93.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10417

Plus someone else on the same forum is racing his in the USA vintage Nationals.

I have deduced that it must have been released late '93 in the UK as I remember my brother and I getting our Cougar 2000s for Christmas '93, and the Losi was available then I am sure - cos at the same time everyone else switched from their 2000s to XX's which were always quick out the of the box.

Hinckley's cut off for vintage is '93, and they do allow Cougar 2000s! However, if we turn up and they say 'no', I should be OK as we have a spare Cougar 2, Topcat, Procat, Ultima, RC10, Meteor and brace of Apaches - just in case!

Fingers crossed, eh!
Old 07-03-2010

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the cut off for vintage is 1996 at Hinckley.

The xx is definitely legal as it was released the same year as the mardave cobra which has been used in the class. Traxxas Bandit's have also been allowed which were not released till well after the xx.

What I would say though is that unless you are a genuine beginner then driving a xx in the vintage class might be a bit dull.

The class restricts the cars to silver can 540 motors in order to protect the older cars.

The emphasis of the class is far more towards having an enjoyable day out rather than out and out speed or competition.

Personally if you want to race vintage, then I'd use one of your other cars, or if you want to use the xx, put a better motor in it and race with the modern cars.
Old 07-03-2010

Hi

Yeah, I do agree with the 'having fun aspect' - but a Losi was my dream car when I was 14 - still have my 1700 SCRCs to run in it - bought them second hand in '93 (as well as some second hand 3300s bought recently).

I think the silver can motors will really level the playing field - if its no fun I'll borrow one of my brothers' cars!

I would love to race with the big boys, but for a few fun days out over the summer going brushless to be competitive is just too expensive. I still have my Tanaplan 12x3, but not dumping before 5 minutes was nearly impossible with the cells I had...maybe with 3300s or 3700s it'll be OK.

Hmmm, maybe I could race in both classes in a day....
Old 08-03-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Trakpower 3200 / 3600 fit perfectly in the XX with lead

I'll be running my XXCR soon at EPR with the modern stuff and rec it'll hold it's own.

If you got enough spares run it as you would a modern car!
Old 09-01-2020

Default It is now lol

Reviving old thread as just bought another xx needs bit of tlc but il sort it anyone know where to buy piano wire and what size id need to make wing wire once the cars sorted i will never sell this one