Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 01-09-2012

Default Forums can be funny things...

...sometimes its like walking into a local pub and the music turning off *instantly* and everyone looks at you.

Everyone else kinda knows each other and it can be a bit intimidating, so you either stand there and scowl back at the drunken grammar nazi propping up the bar, hoping he can't smell your fear, or you just smile and nod at 'everybody' and say hi, hoping that someone will turn the volume back up and talk back to you.

This is me nodding and saying Hi...

I am getting back into RC's again after a long break, and was pointed in this direction by a guy I met through work, he told me this was the best forum to join, so here I am.

Usual thing, know nowt about brushless systems or LiPo (As far as I knew that what fat celebrity's do for when they can't be bothered to exercise...), so expect some of the same old questions.

I do however promise to look through the forums for the answer before I start repeating the same old threads and getting on peoples nerves...

My main interest is 10th electric and am planning to replace my old Losi xxx4g+ and (box fresh, never used) MF2 with a new 2wd, 4wd and SC truck, and doing a bit of bashing & racing around York and Leeds.

Being a Losi fan I had initially decided on the 22 platform cars, and wait until the new 4wd is announced / released, however the dude responsible for me being here advised that I look at as many other options as possible, notably the Team Durango gear. I had never heard of them, but after a bit of research they do look very cool and incredibly trick. I like trick.

So here I sit, scouring the internet looking for reviews, opinions and information on everything from servos to kits, and I am very much looking forward to crashing, breaking and rebuilding my cars in between doing a spot of racing.

Oh, I have had a quick look around here, but couldn't see a forum rules / etiquette thread so if there is one, and someone could point me towards it that would be useful. If there isn't, I will just assume thread drifts, outragous swearing in thread titles and NSFW posts are frowned upon...

Now if someone could turn the music back up I would appreciate it...

Gray01
Old 01-09-2012
Super Moderator

What's your real name? Some here might already know you
Old 01-09-2012

Well my real name is Graham, but 99% of people will call be Gray or G...and I run a sign, graphics and vehicle wrapping business on the outskirts York

...there is a dude on here that will probably know who I am, but I don't know his user name, and not knowing whether real names are something people are happy to band around here, I shall refrain using it until he says its alright.

Unless I am being dim, and its indeed you, Northy, who was in my office the other morning telling me about the Team Durango stuff?

Old 01-09-2012

You wouldn't happen to be Gray from 01 RaceFX by any chance would you?

Hobao H2 Pro
Team Associated B4.1 FT
Ko Propo
Old 01-09-2012

My mrs keeps going on about a about a Mr Gray but i think thats something totally different....

But I just wanted to say hello and say I'm in exactly the same boat I raced 1/10th IC 5-6 years ago and have just decided to get back into the hobby and fancy 1/10th off road.

Like you I like the look of the Durango stuff but I've also been recommenced Associated B44.1

Not sure if I want to go 4WD or 2WD at the moment

Need to read up on Brushless and Lipos and then dip my toe in the water......

good luck with it and let us know what you end up doing.
Old 01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercoolnothing View Post
You wouldn't happen to be Gray from 01 RaceFX by any chance would you?
Yes SCN, yes its me

...since working with motorcycles they have ceased to be 'fun' so I figured that I would take up an old hobby again.

G
Old 01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano_uk View Post
My mrs keeps going on about a about a Mr Gray but i think thats something totally different....

But I just wanted to say hello and say I'm in exactly the same boat I raced 1/10th IC 5-6 years ago and have just decided to get back into the hobby and fancy 1/10th off road.

Like you I like the look of the Durango stuff but I've also been recommenced Associated B44.1

Not sure if I want to go 4WD or 2WD at the moment

Need to read up on Brushless and Lipos and then dip my toe in the water......

good luck with it and let us know what you end up doing.
Ha, my mrs read those books, and apparently 'you should always obey Mr Gray' so they can't be all that bad.

I will be hanging around here for a while, and when I figure out what I am doing will post pics and stuff. I like the look of the B44.1 as well, I am gonna visit the York meeting next week and see whats people are running and get some more advice.

I think I am gonna buy a new kit so I can build it and re-learn everything, plus the building was always part of the fun for me.

Cheers!

G
Old 01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
I like the look of the B44.1 as well, I am gonna visit the York meeting next week and see whats people are running and get some more advice.

I think I am gonna buy a new kit so I can build it and re-learn everything, plus the building was always part of the fun for me.

Cheers!

G
The 44.1's a good bit of kit, I run its 2wd baby brother the 4.1 and it's a cracking car tho I keep dropping hints to the Mrs to let me get a C4.1 to go alongside it

Hobao H2 Pro
Team Associated B4.1 FT
Ko Propo
Old 01-09-2012

Hi. I was on the phone to my mate from York the other day and I am pretty sure he was talking about you. Met you though work?

I presume you will be racing at York to start? Just to get you going for 2wd you can't go wrong with the Durango DEX210 which is what both myself and the guy you met use. In fact it was after using his car at a regional this summer I decided to buy one. For the value they are great. One of the cheapest (Top Spec) cars on the market and it comes with everything you are going to need to start racing. The build is very good too.

For 4wd I had recently been running a Associated B44.1 which I would highly recomend too but I have gone back old skool and now run a xx4 had my best ever off road result with it the other week and it is still so great to drive. If you have one lying about you wont be at a disadvantage running one. The only downfall is the same as its always been getting into the drivetrain. Plus the car is weak compared to others because cars go much faster in the 21st century

I can't comment on the 410 from presonal experience but Im sure it would be perfectly fine too.

Hope this helps, Oh and I just put a quid in the jukebox
Old 01-09-2012

Cheers Superstar, The dude who introduced me to this forum I met when he came to my workshop, I use the company he works for for my business y'see.

I know it sounds a bit cryptic, but as I said because I am new here and don't know the etiquette I won't divulge anything about his real world life, other than he is a sound guy from the York area who gave me a lot of advice and pointers.

I do actually have a xxx4g+ that I could dust off and upgrade a bit, but as I was told getting spare parts can be a problem I may sell it to someone who 'needs' it more than I do, and replace it with a 410 or B44.1

Problem is, as I am a bit OCD I would prefer to run the same brand cars to save carrying loads of spares from different manufacturers. I could sell both my Losi cars, and start from scratch, but I am not sure yet.

In the first instance I will more than likely get a 2wd buggy and all the 'modern' gear to run it, then take it from there. I guess York will be my first race, but it will be a month or so before I get everything together.

I am gonna go over the 8th though and watch / meet / learn / help out / marshall for the evening. Gets me outta the house and keeps me away from work for a while if nowt else

Thanks for turning the music back on...

G
Old 01-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Ha, my mrs read those books, and apparently 'you should always obey Mr Gray' so they can't be all that bad.

I will be hanging around here for a while, and when I figure out what I am doing will post pics and stuff. I like the look of the B44.1 as well, I am gonna visit the York meeting next week and see whats people are running and get some more advice.

Cheers!

G
Good choice of car ;0)
Old 01-09-2012

Yeah I know exactly who you mean because he was telling me about you the other day. Hes a good pal of mine

Did you not have any xx4 stuff left? The losi team drivers still run it lol. But spares wise I presume you it is the same story as the xx4 for me, you can get virtually every part new still and a lot of people still stock large Losi parts for the older cars. So to say they are hard to get hold of is a bit misguided when people tell you that.

BUT I think getting a Durango or other popular car would be the best rounte. Thing have moved on and its always so much easier to run a popular car when you are new back just for the advice and parts available (as in if you break a certain part theres plenty of people with spares

Iv moved down south now but will be coming up to visit some time in the future so might see you at York.

Good luck
Josh
Old 01-09-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
...sometimes its like walking into a local pub and the music turning off *instantly* and everyone looks at you.

Everyone else kinda knows each other and it can be a bit intimidating, so you either stand there and scowl back at the drunken grammar nazi propping up the bar, hoping he can't smell your fear, or you just smile and nod at 'everybody' and say hi, hoping that someone will turn the volume back up and talk back to you.

This is me nodding and saying Hi...

I am getting back into RC's again after a long break, and was pointed in this direction by a guy I met through work, he told me this was the best forum to join, so here I am.

Usual thing, know nowt about brushless systems or LiPo (As far as I knew that what fat celebrity's do for when they can't be bothered to exercise...), so expect some of the same old questions.

I do however promise to look through the forums for the answer before I start repeating the same old threads and getting on peoples nerves...

My main interest is 10th electric and am planning to replace my old Losi xxx4g+ and (box fresh, never used) MF2 with a new 2wd, 4wd and SC truck, and doing a bit of bashing & racing around York and Leeds.

Being a Losi fan I had initially decided on the 22 platform cars, and wait until the new 4wd is announced / released, however the dude responsible for me being here advised that I look at as many other options as possible, notably the Team Durango gear. I had never heard of them, but after a bit of research they do look very cool and incredibly trick. I like trick.

So here I sit, scouring the internet looking for reviews, opinions and information on everything from servos to kits, and I am very much looking forward to crashing, breaking and rebuilding my cars in between doing a spot of racing.

Oh, I have had a quick look around here, but couldn't see a forum rules / etiquette thread so if there is one, and someone could point me towards it that would be useful. If there isn't, I will just assume thread drifts, outragous swearing in thread titles and NSFW posts are frowned upon...

Now if someone could turn the music back up I would appreciate it...

Gray01
Bugger... no grammatical errors...

Welcome G, I'll be at York on the 8th. Come and say hi!
Old 03-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post

This is somebody who can write! Fantastic opening post - most entertaining!

I, too, have walked into this bar, possibly just a few days ahead of Gray and am now happily sitting at the bar with friends. The learning slope is steep, especially for somebody who's last race was in the last century! But not insurmountable.

I've been getting great advice on here and will be taking it all on board. I may, however, break the rules and purchase a car that nobody is recommending. I like a challenge and I'd love to take on a lesser known car and see if I can get it to work!

I have a car in mind, but I'm going to wait until after this weekend before starting the ball rolling. I'm going to be racing a borrowed Kyosho Lazer at the Dunfermline Old Skool reunion meeting. I'm thoroughly looking forward to it - will my eyes/brain/thumbs interface still function as it did 25 years ago? Hope so...

Probably not.

Jimmy

Re-started 2012. With Caster SK10
Driving Xray XB4 & Precirotate PRS1 V2 for 2014.
Hobby Pro PRS1 V2 2WD and PRSB10 4WD for 2015
Team Inside Line Racing with PR Racing buggies for 2016, 2017 & 2018.
Old 04-09-2012

Thanks Jimmy, I am glad I ain't the only one who is getting back into it, I don't feel quite so much of a squid...and its enormously helpful that are forums like this that we can all use to get help and advice.

So with that being said I have taken some of the above advice, and bought a secondhand Team Durango 410r with a few upgraded parts to replace my Losi xxx4.
I think I got a good deal on ebay, but will post some pics and details when it arrives.

I think I will still go and pickup a dex210 from MB Models this week and start out 2wd though, as I never really raced 4WD back in the day.. well that and I am actually quite looking forward to actually building something other than a motorbike...

Oh, and Jimmy mate, I am sure your eyes, brain and thumbs will be fine, and if not at least it will be good fun learning again. Have you *seen* how fast these cars are now though? I was watching some footage from York on Youtube yesterday and suddenly marshaling the things is just as much of a concern as driving them...

...still, it looks like a giggle

Gray
Old 04-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post

I found 2... but what the hell! Another racer is always a good thing. Just for reference, Col is the bloke who will have yellow wheels on his B44... 'Cause that's how he rolls... he loves the fluorescent yellow wheels... :P

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 04-09-2012

Flouro Yellow wheels. Gotcha...

Hang on AC, your sig says you love the yellow too, how will I tell you apart?...

...Infact what if *everyone* turns up on Saturday with yellow wheels???*

I will be fairly easy to spot, long(ish) hair, tattoos, silly beard...I may just bring a set of yellow wheels myself so I don't feel left out.

Gray

*if that actually happens I shall just refer to everyone with yellow wheels as 'Col'
Old 04-09-2012

Unfortunatley my A drive from LTR states quite clearly that I'm not allowed to use yellow wheels or ball cups. Thats the only thing it states, its not like i get anything for free... except the floppy disk the instructions came on...

"A" Drive... geddit? Roflcopter...

Oh i do amuse myself sometimes...

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 04-09-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

yellow wheels are gay.

Fact.
If anyone dares argue I'll ban them...
Old 04-09-2012

Yellow wheels are definitely not gay. Fact. If they were why would they be supplied with the Worlds Kit? Clearly you are wronger than any man has ever been :P

I fear you may be over compensating for something there Col...

I await my ban...

Trader Feedback