Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 13-06-2011

Default Alternative diff in a Cougar SV

Can anyone tell me whether they have tried an alternative manufacturer's diff in a cougar SV?

I am not that impressed by the quality of the standard Schumacher components and wondered whether anyone had maybe tried a anything else.

Cheers

Adz
Old 13-06-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

no idea why you would even try , the std diffs are more than up to it,and are lasting months in mattys car
Old 13-06-2011

Where do I start?

1) The outdrives mash quicker and easier than potato.

2) The use of a sprung 'c' clip as a bearing surface to hold the thrust bearing sub assembly is poor engineering at best.

3) The lack of 'T' nut method for fixing the main thrust screw in place and instead using a grub screw is the epicentre of most diff problems. A locking 'T' nut, like those used on Losi and Associated models, would drastically reduce the chance of a diff working loose.

4) The moulding quality of the main plastic diff gear and the lack of reasonable tolerance for the diff balls to sit in, or fall through in my case, is poor. (Yes I have tried a new set of balls and a new diff gear).

Having spoken to a couple of other Schumacher owners it seems the issues I have experienced are nothing new.
Old 13-06-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

well we have only managed to get through 2 diff outputs in the last 18 months or so we've had it since just before release.as long as its built right its fine and works a treat,the locking grub screw IMHO works better than a nut it never ever comes loose,no matter which side its on,and if the diff balls are falling through the diff that would mean you haven't filled the holes with diff grease as per manual,
Old 14-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz2383 View Post
Where do I start?

1) The outdrives mash quicker and easier than potato.

2) The use of a sprung 'c' clip as a bearing surface to hold the thrust bearing sub assembly is poor engineering at best.

3) The lack of 'T' nut method for fixing the main thrust screw in place and instead using a grub screw is the epicentre of most diff problems. A locking 'T' nut, like those used on Losi and Associated models, would drastically reduce the chance of a diff working loose.

4) The moulding quality of the main plastic diff gear and the lack of reasonable tolerance for the diff balls to sit in, or fall through in my case, is poor. (Yes I have tried a new set of balls and a new diff gear).

Having spoken to a couple of other Schumacher owners it seems the issues I have experienced are nothing new.

1) THE NEW OUTDRIVES ARE SPOT ON, LASTING AS LONG AS ANY OTHER .WE HAVE BEEN RUNNING THEM FOR SIX MOUNTHS NOW TWICE A WEEK WITH VERY LITTLE WARE.

2) NOT THE BEST IDEA BUT IT WORK OK.

3)THE GRUB SCREW WORK FINE NEVER HAD IT COME LOOSE. IF THE DIFF IS FEELING LOOSE IT'LL BE THE DIFF SETTELING IN, JUST RE-AJUST.

4)FILL GEAR WITH GREASE. (YOUR BALLS WILL STAY IN PLACE)
Old 14-06-2011

Thanks for the advice chaps- with regards to the diff balls slipping through, some of them do and the others 'snap' in nicely, hence me questioning the mould quality. (I have measured the balls and they are a consistent size)

Either way, I have rebuilt the diff with an associated 't' nut and it now works a treat!
Old 14-06-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

The diff pully is machined - so it will be a straight through hole, and hence the balls won't ever stay in it when just dropped in dry.