Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 30-10-2018
Mad Member

Default Losi 22 4.0 Forward traction on carpet

Hi All

Really struggling indoors with my 22 4.0 with forward traction on cactus tyres when trying to apply power out of corners. Base setup is a copy of tyreman on here. I have laid my rear shocks down, thickened the rear oil in shocks to 500, blue associated rear springs, diff oil increased from 3k to 10k. (running optional gear diff) and thickest rear roll bar and lowered ride height to 16mm. All this helped a bit and had my best run, however if i am going round any kind of corner it feels like the inside wheel just spins up. If i am straight it is ok, just cant apply power coming out of corners. I think it is diffing out and lifting the inside wheel a bit. When i changed the gear oil from 3k it almost smelt burnt! Any ideas?
Old 30-10-2018

Can you post a full setup, I presume your on EOS style carpet? You sound way to hard at the rear!
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 30-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble34 View Post
Hi All

Really struggling indoors with my 22 4.0 with forward traction on cactus tyres when trying to apply power out of corners. Base setup is a copy of tyreman on here. I have laid my rear shocks down, thickened the rear oil in shocks to 500, blue associated rear springs, diff oil increased from 3k to 10k. (running optional gear diff) and thickest rear roll bar and lowered ride height to 16mm. All this helped a bit and had my best run, however if i am going round any kind of corner it feels like the inside wheel just spins up. If i am straight it is ok, just cant apply power coming out of corners. I think it is diffing out and lifting the inside wheel a bit. When i changed the gear oil from 3k it almost smelt burnt! Any ideas?
Sounds like you need to soften the rear roll bar or lower the rear roll centre or stiffen the front roll bar or raise the front roll centre. Sounds like the car is pitching which with the stiff rear end is lifting the inside rear tyre. Let the rear lean a little more and that will help keep the tyres in contact with the ground.
Old 30-10-2018
Mad Member

Cheers guys, will try softening rear. Failing that will post full setup etc
Old 30-10-2018
Super Moderator

Hi, first of all, copy the Astro set up exactly out of the 22 4.0 instruction book. This is a very good base to work from. Then personally, I'm running red TLR springs on the back on EOS carpet.

Also if you are running the TLR geared diff, try 30,000 weight diff oil. This will give you more drive and make the diff feel more like a ball diff.

BRITISH NATIONAL 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2012
BRITISH NATIONAL SERIES 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2013

Old 30-10-2018
Mad Member

Thanks I will look at this. The gear diff is a bit odd with getting thickness right!
Old 31-10-2018
Super Moderator

Hi, yes as its not a traditional design you need to run a lot heavier diff oil in it.

Old 31-10-2018

Just a though, if you are trying to free up the rear by going stiffer you might find it better to free it up using the rear toe. On my local astro track I had issues lifting the inside rear wheel mid corner trying to raise the rear rc. So tried the -2 rear carrier with the 4' inserts and nice and stable but with more steering everywhere but rear states attached tobtge track.
Old 31-10-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITTLER555 View Post
Hi, yes as its not a traditional design you need to run a lot heavier diff oil in it.
Do you know you know why the team setups all say 3k? I always thought that was a bit light...
Old 31-10-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol123 View Post
Just a though, if you are trying to free up the rear by going stiffer you might find it better to free it up using the rear toe. On my local astro track I had issues lifting the inside rear wheel mid corner trying to raise the rear rc. So tried the -2 rear carrier with the 4' inserts and nice and stable but with more steering everywhere but rear states attached tobtge track.
Thanks, what are the -2 carriers? Do you mean 4 degrees of toe in?
Old 01-11-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Thanks, what are the -2 carriers? Do you mean 4 degrees of toe in?
http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...odID=TLR334042
Basically you can only go as low as 2.5deg toe in with the kit parts,With the -2 rear toe block it's minus 2deg off whatever pills you are using (-2deg rear brace and 3deg pills = 1deg toe in)

http://www.screwz4rc.co.uk

Old 01-11-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Do you know you know why the team setups all say 3k? I always thought that was a bit light...
Because the Americans wrote the manual and they race on dirt. Me and my mates have run the car on Astro and EOS carpet and 30k seems about right to us.

Old 07-12-2018

Default Good EOS setup

I have been reading this thread, lots of good tips I can concur, Seems like the latest setups are loaded with loaded with weight on the front mind?!?

http://site.petitrc.com/setup/losi/S...rRoad20180927/

Looking ahead:
It sounds like the thinner chassis from the 5. 0 AC will help with adding flex. My carbon KC is like glue. So I have a good benchmark for the 22 4.0. I usually run them back to back, times are within half a second but, I like the op are constantly balancing between lift and drive out the corners, too soft and meh.. grip rolling...

I tried to get a 5.0 for the BGP in Jan, but late Feb looks the earliest Horrizon can do. Worth an ask I was paying after all

Hope you get it sorted if your running 30k oil you might just want to lock out a ball diff back it off until you get to where you want it to be.. Another idea.. Works sometimes, brute force but it can be controlled...
Old 31-12-2018
Mad Member

Thought I would give an update. So ran the kit Astro setup and was much better. Had electric gremlins all day so didn’t do as well as I hoped. Was very safe and nice to drive, I moved the front shocks to middle on tower to get a bit more steering.