Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 12-09-2011

Default Cat SX2 layshaft/slipper very loose

Hi guys,

This is driving me nuts so can I ask for some help from SX2 owners please??

I've just built a new SX2, which came with the upgraded metal layshaft kit (in the box, from Schumacher) which has a slightly different assembly method to the manual, and in fact the instructions came as an addendum to the manual.

When I first built it the slipper assembly wasn't holding itself together until I fitted the other side of the housing, installed bearings etc at which point it's fine, no play, no broken parts, turns the belts freely when turning by hand etc. I'm not missing any parts from the slipper either.

I've tightened the slipper to the max, (ie spring fully compressed), but under load (from a 10.5 with partial throttle) there's masses of slip - as in, car moves but would burn itself out if I ran it for too long.

Before I take it apart again, has anyone got any tips from building one of these? It's been built exactly as per the addendum, and I'm not new to these, it just seems as though I'm missing a step/large dollop of glue(!) somewhere.

Any ideas??

Thanks....
Old 12-09-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

as long as the screw on the slipper side is tightened up real tight before you assemble the slipper shaft Assembly and build as per instructions it will be fine no need to over tighten the slipper spring (full compressed is wrong)make sure its not the diffs slipping and if problems still persist post close up pics and or explain how you built it IE step buy step
Old 12-09-2011

Is this the version that uses pinion gears on layshaft?
It isn't possible to preassemble the slipper assembly with this arrangement if I remember correctly.
Check to make sure the back slipper plate is properly seated, the little square engaged in the square on the shaft and that you have the various spacers installed in the correct order.
Old 12-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getpip View Post
Is this the version that uses pinion gears on layshaft?
It isn't possible to preassemble the slipper assembly with this arrangement if I remember correctly.
Check to make sure the back slipper plate is properly seated, the little square engaged in the square on the shaft and that you have the various pacers installed in the correct order.
it is possible you build it with the layshaft removed then slot it fully assembled back in the car make sure u dont forget the spacer
Old 12-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
it is possible you build it with the layshaft removed then slot it fully assembled back in the car make sure u dont forget the spacer
Yes but the rear plate is not fixed and remains loose until it is tightened against the front plate from the other end of the shaft by the m3 nut behind the pinion. (So all you can actually assemble is the slipper spring and front plate)
This is only true of the late model cars that use pinion gears in the gearbox.
Old 12-09-2011

thats been like that on all sx models only difference is bearing to support spur gear and metal cogs on sx3
ill do a vid to show you it can be done
Old 12-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
thats been like that on all sx models only difference is bearing to support spur gear and metal cogs on sx3
ill do a vid to show you it can be done
Ah ok, but I thought the earlier cars used conventional gears and that the slipper was mounted with the adjustment on the gear side.
The SX3 is slightly different, than my SX2 at least, in that the slipper assembly can indeed be pre-assembled.
Nevertheless on my SX2 I have always found it easiest to assemble the shaft with just the back slipper plate mounted as it is easier to fit the shaft whilst keeping the plate correctly seated.
One can then fit the spur, pads and front plate with it all in situ. If I try to do it with the spring fitted it pushes the back plate away and stops it seating correctly. (Which is what I fear may be happening to Mr Tikka)
Old 12-09-2011

Guys, wow, thank you very much for the lightning fast responses!

Pip, it's Phil Roberts at SHRCCC, I'll be chasing your tail soon with my shiny new car lol.

I did as per the last post, pulled it all apart, built without the clutch, once in place I installed the spur gear/slipper plates/spring etc etc. It's now sorted!

FYI, it was the problem whereby the back plate had dropped off it's mounting as I was slotting it into the housing....D' and indeed Oh!!!
Old 12-09-2011

glad you got it sorted i suspected one of the plates had moved this would stop tension on ether plate any way heres a little vid of how to the way i do it theres no need to remove the whole layshaft but just to show it can be done, sorry my first vid lol I'm defo no movie maker lmao
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFvGo7xtXDA
Old 12-09-2011

Hi Phil, glad you got it sorted. I thought I recognised the problem.
All I need is someone else chasing (beating!) me, at least we will be doing it indoors!
See you soon.

BigRed... good vid, a picture paints a thousand words, as they say.. As I suspected the set up you describe/show is slightly different to the latest model SX2 which is revised and has the adjustment on the outer slipper plate and different pinion gears.
Old 12-09-2011

Quote:
Ah ok, but I thought the earlier cars used conventional gears and that the slipper was mounted with the adjustment on the gear side.
The SX3 is slightly different, than my SX2 at least, in that the slipper assembly can indeed be pre-assembled.
Nevertheless on my SX2 I have always found it easiest to assemble the shaft with just the back slipper plate mounted as it is easier to fit the shaft whilst keeping the plate correctly seated.
One can then fit the spur, pads and front plate with it all in situ. If I try to do it with the spring fitted it pushes the back plate away and stops it seating correctly. (Which is what I fear may be happening to Mr Tikka)
not 100% sure what you mean,the spring is always on the gear side on all cars the only difference between sx1\2 and the sx3 is that the sx3 has a bearing supporting the spur gear, the metal gears of sx3 fitt sx1\2
Old 12-09-2011

Quote:
Hi Phil, glad you got it sorted. I thought I recognised the problem.
All I need is someone else chasing me, at least we will be doing it indoors!
See you soon.

BigRed... good vid, a picture paints a thousand words, as they say.. As I suspected the set up you describe/show is slightly different to the latest model SX2 which is revised and has the adjustment on the outer slipper plate and different pinion gears.
lol just looking at the parts online now wow thats mad
hmm ill stick to are old parts the steel idler gears of sx3 fit sx1\2
Old 12-09-2011

Thanks for the vid BigRed, as Pip says, a picture paints and all that! Really appreciate you going to the hassle of doing that!

The Cat's coming together now, last few coats of paint going on, electrics are in, but randomly the kit was missing a couple of steering parts - glad it's Schuey, their customer service has always been great so new bits are in the post

Pip, the rate you get round I'll be chasing you alright...a lap or 2 down most likely