Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2009

Default TRF Dyna Storm

I got bored of waiting for Tamiya to release a decent TRF 2wd buggy, so i thought i'd crack on with a project that was started in 2002...

Seven years ago I met a chap from Kidderminster called Malcom McDougal who was also a Tamiya enthusiast, and in particular a Dyna Storm enthusiast. We both felt there was more to come from the Dyna chassis. For the last seven years - on and off when we've had the inclination - we've tried numerous connotations of various parts for the Dyna Storm, resulting in the latest version - i reckon its Mk4c but i could be wrong

Initially i re-tooled the standard plastic parts so we wouldnt run out of spares, played around with the standard Dyna chassis and the TRF211x chassis, tried different shocks etc etc but we never really improved its performance substantially, but we did make it far more reliable.

Then a few years ago the TRF501x came into being.... and recently Lipos and Brushless came de regueur.... weight and power suddenly wasnt a problem anymore... Then i started making some new buggy parts for another Oopler, I decided to resurrect the Dyna Storm moulds, make some new ones and...

.....now a new TRF 2wd has been born

So the new specs are -

Re-tooled longer front suspension arms.
Re-tooled Shorter rear suspension arms with extra outer shock hole.
Re-tooled stronger castor blocks in 25, 27.5 and 30 degrees.
PTFE axle bearings rather than the kit bronze items.
New Carbon front shock tower with different shock and camber mounting points
New Carbon rear shock tower with different shock mounting points.
New Carbon top-deck & battery clamp.
Modified battery box.
Milled motor plate
Re-tooled & lightened gearbox gears.
Machined layshaft to accept TRF501x slipper clutch.
TRF501x slipper clutch set.
TRF501x shocks all round.
TRF501x CVD's
TRF501x rear hubs.
TRF501x wings mounts.
TRF414 servo mounts
TRF heavy duty servo saver and ally arm.
Kyosho Lazer ZXR servo plate.
Tamiya Hardened balljoints
Tamiya balljoint cups.
Lunsford titanium turnbuckles
Part high-grade Stainless screw kit.

Anyway, on with the pictures....

There a few more parts being fiddled with - ill be getting a new layshaft and top gear made instead of having to machine existing ones, ive got a blank rear bulkhead tooled up & blank shock towers to be able to play around with suspension mounting points trackside, new inner rear suspension arm mounts, and new front bulkhead with intregal weights, and just about every single plastic part has also been re-tooled for spares sake.

Its now light and day different from the original Dyna Storm, much better in every respect, but still lots of ' playing around ' with it to get it more competitive with the B4.

Why you ask ? Why not ? We are never going to be World Champs, we are both too old So why not keep having some fun experimenting with a different car ? And frankly they make a refreshing change from B4's and X6's that seem to make up 80% of 2wds these days

Oh, ive also got a mid-motored 'Storm very close to being finished... you'll love that one

I hope you all like it, its been seven years in the making