Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 23-02-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy96 View Post
Chas,why not make the adjustment a "slot",with a washer under the ballstud and a washer under the nut on the other side it will clamp up ok,no need to strip anything down then to make adjustments.......slacken off and slide!!!
Sounds too much like a recipe for a disaster to be honest, if it comes loose your camber will move all over the place and if it is on a slide how will you ever know that both sides are in "exactly" the same location....
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 23-02-2012

If anything comes loose it can be a disaster!!To get them the same,measure them.....
Old 24-02-2012
Mad Member

Chippy, this is like everything else. We are going to do it right or we won't do it. We take care that our cars are top-level racing machines yet easy to work on, and we'll keep both principles here.

Have faith, we will get it right, and when we do you'll love it.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 24-02-2012

Taking the "slot" idea a bit further,a series of recesses on the nut side the same depth and radius as the washer would give a more positive location and no worries about getting them in the same position each side,to adjust,slacken the nut a couple of turns,release the washer and select your revised location and re tighten.A simple suggestion sometimes helps trigger another line of thought sometimes when your trying to solve a snag!!!Cheers for now.
Old 24-02-2012

How about something old fashioned.... a spanner for the front side of the tower and a nut driver for the rear side. Or an open ended ballend with a custom ballstud, if you added some material on the front side of the ball you could slot it, drill a hole in it, insert an allen key vertically, hey presto.
Old 24-02-2012
Mad Member

There are other issues too. The wing and its mounts must come off to move a shock position. The wing mounts, which screw in from the front, are hard to get at when they are forward.

We very much appreciate all your input. Unlike many R/C companies, we thrive on input from The Family. No N.I.H. with us. We have implemented many changes over the years that were suggested by The Family. Each of the suggestions above will be carefully investigated, at least by producing some C.A.D. if not actual parts.

In this case, it's not easy to come up with something that works well, is good to work on, and can be produced in quantity at a reasonable price. That's four criteria, each of which often is in conflict with the others. When we stopped working on tower forward we had made and tried several different versions of it and none met all four criteria, especially the EZ to work on one.

The performance difference is not great, if there is any at all. If you think about it, moving the wing forward takes away its leverage, making it less effective. Paul did this in fact to minimize the wing on large high speed outdoor tracks, but moving the wing forward in the normal mounts and trimming the Gurney accomplishes 99% of that. Paul says the primary advantage is that, in his opinion, the car looks better. I disagree.

We have the SCX - 60CF to do, and the X - 7. How much time should a two-man company invest in a project the delays the two big things, is proving difficult to do, and does not produce much benefit? I hope everyone out there is willing to continue winning races with the tower in the standard position so we can have a ballistic 4WD in your hands later this year.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 24-02-2012
Mad Member

N.I.H. = Not Invented Here

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 27-02-2012

/me tips his hat to the xfactory guru's
Old 27-02-2012
#1 ZX5 fan

So my car was great this weekend, I must admit not initially but that was just far to much front tyre, by the final it was great. I'm keeping mine set like this for the foreseeable future.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 28-02-2012

Please can you post setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
So my car was great this weekend, I must admit not initially but that was just far to much front tyre, by the final it was great. I'm keeping mine set like this for the foreseeable future.
Old 28-02-2012

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

Just wanted to write in on the tower-forward topic. The brief history is this: Last year around this time Chris Cristo, a team driver here in the states, drilled holes behind the camberlink in his rear bulkhead, slimmed down the 'legs' of the stock tower, and mounted it on the front of the bulkhead. I think Greenwood modded his similarly shortly there-after. I saw their work and said, "Hey, I can put a camberlink in the tower, cut off the whole front of the bulkhead." So that's what I did last summer. As Chipy96 suggested the ballstuds are located in slots - more figure 8-style with definite mounting spots, like many 1/8th gas cars use.

The ballstud goes through with a small nut on the back; clearance is tight if you're running one of the stock-width holes instead of the E-Speed locations. The reason we haven't made this available is it's a royal pain to change ballstud locations though - I have to take out the trans, bulkhead, and then take off the rear tower to do it right. It also complicates removing the rear shocks more than I'd like. I have a better way to do it in my head, but haven't had the time to draw it up and make the parts to test it. The idea was suggested to me by Dan Couglietta - make the camberlink a separate plate that bolts to the shocktower, perhaps using the wing mount holes. Look for it soon though - now that the SCX-60CF is pretty much shipping, I can focus back on 4wd and a few side projects.
Old 29-02-2012

Last edited by dale; 29-02-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Looked at the pic again, it wouldn't work...
Old 29-02-2012
#1 ZX5 fan

AntH,

Will try to do it tonight though it's nothing unusual. If I forget please reply to this thread or PM me to remind me

Nortech is ACE!
Old 05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
AntH,

Will try to do it tonight though it's nothing unusual. If I forget please reply to this thread or PM me to remind me
Hi Dan

Any update on the setup yet

KEEP RIGHT ON
BLUE IS BETTER
Old 05-03-2012
#1 ZX5 fan

As I expected I totally forgot and now I've read this again in work I may well forget again (but will try not to tonight).

Nortech is ACE!
Old 05-03-2012
Mad Member

Dan grows older...

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 09-03-2012

Out of interest, what is the weight of the vampire short lipo?

KEEP RIGHT ON
BLUE IS BETTER
Old 10-03-2012
Mad Member

EFRA list says 212/228 g, measured 217.5 g
Old 10-03-2012
Mad Member

This discussion happened on RCTech, so I'll post it here to see what you guys think. Family Member Martin B. came up with this idea:

The X - 6 motor is deliberately in the car off-center, 0.030" (approx) to the right so the rotating mass of the rotor is centered in the car. This has a number of advantages, which we like. Several guys have tried moving the motor into the center by putting spacers between the trans and motor plate, but most have found this doesn't help.

Martin posits that, when installing a shorty pack across the rear it should be mounted 0.030" to the left. This helps to equalize the R-L weight of the heavy stuff in the rear while keeping the advantage of the centered rotor.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
Old 11-03-2012
#1 ZX5 fan

Finally had time at home to write up setup. Nothing that unusual here though (stubby aside) heavier damping that normal for high grip, no rear roll bar which I suspect will stay off for the time being when using the stubby.

Was happy on the day with only a Trishbits front bulkhead for weight, car was really good though.
Attached Files
File Type: doc X6² Off Road Wars Maritme Raceway 2012.doc (68.5 KB, 66 views)

Nortech is ACE!