Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 04-03-2011

Default Why does the Short Course Truck class.....

.......evoke such a "marmite" reaction with racers?

Noticed over the months on here that there's alot mixed feelings about this class, that you don't really see with other classes.

Yet all of a sudden over the past few weeks there's been a definite shift towards SCT's, with numerous club threads talking about sct racing and of the course the planned ShortCourse Shootout now coming.
Old 04-03-2011
SHRCCC Legend

I think they are ace to watch and look such fun to drive, nice bit of full contact too!

Cant wait to have a go with one
Old 04-03-2011

Stupid and ridiculous comes to mind

MB Models....Team Durango....Telsshells....韦恩是一个无线电遥控赛车上帝,克雷格是同性恋
Old 04-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think they sure have a use at club level, they are prob the best value and most rugged RTR on the market, they will take just about all you can throw at them. And when people drive them they sem to have fun, a good thing to see at clubs

sadly some racers don't like silly fun things, just want lap times and consistant tracks

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 04-03-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacattack View Post
Stupid and ridiculous comes to mind
strongly disagree

since last summer they have regenerated our club from a dwindling 1/8th nitro membership to a growing 1/10th offroad club and are the best way into r/c off-road racing at present.

They are cheap, raceable straight out of the box and for beginners can take a lot of abuse...

for experienced drivers they are great fun as you can rub bodyshells and take each other out without causing damage or getting penalised and have an unusual handling experience.

Because its light hearted and more fun based, some of the serious hardcore buggy drivers have snubbed them.

Their recent press is only due to them being ran as a spectacle at some higher profile meetings, some clubs have been running them for getting on 2 years.

Its here to stay, at least for a couple more years, all the large manufacturers are in on it, so more sponsored drivers will be encouraged to race them, eventually it will be covered with rules and become more serious.... i hope not as its great to see laughter at any r/c meeting.
Old 05-03-2011
Mad Member

We run a SC class at Keighley and its a good laugh.

I think they would be more popular if we had the American style motocross type dirt tracks with all the humps.

I also recon that if Schumacher had made a yellow pin/spike for them that worked on polished floor they would have had a better following indoor which would have then moved to outdoor.

I'd allways run buggy as a first choice but if there's time in the day the SC come out to play .

Clown
Old 05-03-2011
Mad Member

I love racing 4wd and 2wd buggies. It's awesome. Shortcourse is a cheap fun alternative for me. Good way to have a proper giggle at an otherwise usually competitive meeting. Light hearted entertainment. Don't understand why people hate them. It's no threat. It's attracting new people into the hobby. Newcomers are often put off by the apparent seriousness and complexity of buggy racing. This class offers a softer/easier way in. Who knows, once someone new try's shortcourse they may well progress onto buggies. Everyone wins. Without new interest, the sport/hobby will struggle to continue indefinitely. Only my thoughts. Don't hate me. Lol

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 05-03-2011

Nice to see the positive sct sentiments here

As you can see in my sig I've definitely taken to the sct class and ultimately think that this is due to it being FUN and COMPETITIVE, the trucks can be tinkered with if you want to, and at end of day you have the same choices as you do with buggies - electrics, tyres etc etc

I started off with a b4 and b44, but the racing really daunted me, however with this class it is so much more relaxed.

Re the pro's tho, have copied a quote from the last EPR winter warmer.....

"Top three's in all classes were:

2WD: Williams (G); Stafford; Evdoka
4WD: Kerry; Neal; Brooke (C)
Short Course/Truck: Brooke (S); Stafford; Wilson

And yes before anybody asks that last result IS correct!
"
Old 05-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think its just one of those marmite things...

Nitro racers generally seem to dislike electric racing and vice versa, offroad racers seem to dislike onroad racing, big scales dislike small scales, and serious racers seem to dislike SCT's.

It took years and years for the micro racers to get rid of most of the "toy car" stereotype, but we carried on regardless enjoying ourselves and gradually proving that we were a strong class with a strong future

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 05-03-2011
BANNED

I don’t think it’s the cars themselves that some racers dislike; it’s that the extra class at an event dilutes the meeting.

It’s been a re-occurring thing over the years, remember 10th Rally saloon cars? Truggy’s racing at 8th buggy events, electric 8th – all that type of stuff.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 05-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I don’t think it’s the cars themselves that some racers dislike; it’s that the extra class at an event dilutes the meeting
But, having an extra class, wouldn't reduce the track time and heats for the other classes tho? (or would it? )
Old 09-03-2011

hey there,

I just say.

SC rules!!!!

We're racing them in our club as a seperate class and thx to Uwe Reinhard, the SC will also be promoted in the EOS.

Just finished my new body for the upcoming outdoor season.

Cheers,
Mike

Old 12-03-2011

Unfortunately the SCT seem to fall into that 'fun only' catagory which means that the supposed pro's and serious classes such as t/c's, buggy's and truggy's seem to think that those of us who race short course are not allowed to take it as serious as they take their racing.
If we do then we are labelled as idiots that take it all too seriously. I have no doubt that if I were ever fortunate enough to be in the same race as a 'pro' driver and deliberately smashed my car into his and cost him the race then he would not find it so funny!.
You only have to look at the numbers of manufacturers who are now competing in this type of racing to see how it is taking giant leaps forward.
Yes it is a fun class and is such close racing, but please dont dismiss those of us who do take it seriously as this may be our only class of racing and therefore to us it.
Old 12-03-2011

Love my SC! bring on more events i can race it at!
Old 13-03-2011

TT,
Keep your eyes out for the forthcoming national series, details released very soon.
Old 13-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Had great fun today at Chadderton racing against my new SC nemesis - Jimmy!!

I think they should be raced properly though with a bit of light contact, none of this reversing the direction of the track half way through the race or running 20 trucks in a heat ect
Old 13-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
Had great fun today at Chadderton racing against my new SC nemesis - Jimmy!!

I think they should be raced properly though with a bit of light contact, none of this reversing the direction of the track half way through the race or running 20 trucks in a heat ect
Bob on, I think they look good fun, weird handling and a laugh. I just don't get excited by the deliberately ramming/crashing/taking out bit! Bit of bumper rubbing yeah, take advantage of the fact that can be done without a roll/damage, but not just taking people out!
Old 13-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I do wish elec 8th had taken off tho, Stu has reminded me of that class!!
Old 13-03-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Bob on, I think they look good fun, weird handling and a laugh. I just don't get excited by the deliberately ramming/crashing/taking out bit! Bit of bumper rubbing yeah, take advantage of the fact that can be done without a roll/damage, but not just taking people out!
I agree, but don't see it as a major problem or any reason for people to be put off racing them, more a reputation that is spreading for the racing being a demolition derby type thing.

I've been racing the trucks for over a year against all levels of drivers, haven't noticed it being any dirtier than other racing to be fair...

i was really surprised at the Carnage 2010 meeting we ran how clean the driving was, very impressed that drivers were waiting for cars to be marshalled if they knocked somebody off in a brave move.. how it should be in all classes.

The racing will be proper racing, the big bodyshells and bumpers allow for 'rubbing' and 'nudging off line' in corners, being able to make brave 'barging' moves into corners down the inside of another truck is great fun... usually doesn't work as they get a better line out of it though!

tbh our shortcourse racers are certainly cleaner than some of our hardcore buggy drivers, especially given that buggies are a lot quicker, more expensive kit and don't bounce as well.

What makes the class fun is the handling and the trucks tend to have random bad landings from jumps with parachute effect or rolling in corners causing funny 'incidents' with cars behind

I'm not interested in racing in a class where full on take out moves are condoned but also wouldn't want to see the racing to get as serious or expensive as t/c's or strangled with rules... it should be pushed as an entry level into the hobby and 1/10th offroad racing.
Old 13-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

I've raced them 3 times now, twice at worksop and once at ardent. I think they DO belong on slipier surfaces as they're more fun to race and getting them on carpet just takes most of the fun out of it and it just becomes like tacing TC's.

But it has been an absolute hoot and has broken the day up nicely. You don't really have to mess around with them too much either. You just come back from marshalling, put it on charge and wait for the next race. There's hardly ever any borken parts to fix as they're so tough too.

BUT, I think rich is right now. If it is to be taken seriously, they need to be raced properly. Rubbing allowed but no ramming or driving into people deliberately, 5 min runs with no reversing the direction etc.
But i think the 'le mans' start that we had at worksop was a good idea. Possibly at larger meetings this could be incorporated for the A-final.