Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 02-04-2010
Mad Member

Default DEX410 - Easy to setup and work on?

I'm considering my choice of 4WD car for this season and the DEX410R is on my shortlist. As the R is very similar to the regular DEX410, I am making the assumption that they will perform very similarly and so reasonible to base my decision on researching the more expensive version.

The car looks superb, no denying that!

However, there seems to be an awful lot of things to tune and I'm wondering if a "standard" setup exists and if so, how much deviation is made from this typically on a track-to-track basis? Of particular interest is the use of Oil filled diffs - I'm used to Ball Diffs and the fact they usually get set and left between rebuilds. However, with the Oil-filled nature of the diffs bringing a viable (and reproducable) tuning aid, I'm wondering how much these actually get changed once you are happy with the balance of the car and have derived a base setup?

Also, what is it like to get spares, as the website seems to fluctuate between in-stock and out of stock of the actual kit?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2010
Mad Member

I'm not sure if there is a standard set-up yet as most of the Team lads seem to have been racing indoors since the car came out, I'm sure things will become clearer as the out-door season starts.

I don't race indoors, and the set-up I've got on mine doesn't need many things changing between the grass track I normally race on, and the high grip astro-turf of Stotfold, just front springs and front diff oil really, buts that might be down to me not having a lot of knowlage of astro, so there is more time left in me learning it, before I worry about how the car is.

Diffs, I find I leave alone pretty much, apart from changing oil weight depending on the track.

Spares, super easy and quick to get, not had any problems so far. I tend to use either the Durango site, or Microtech.
Old 03-04-2010

Hi mate,

in regards to there been a standard set up i would say yes there is. We have done a lot of testing throughout the winter which has resulted in finding a base set up that seems to work on most tracks.

Minor changes are then made on the day to fine tune and make the car as fast as possible which is no different to what you would do on any other car. What ive found is that the car is so good at letting you know what needs to be changed, and making that change is so easy as the car is a dream to work on.

I ran the car last week at RHR and my set up there was more or less the same as indoors. The only things i changed was going softer on the rear to make it better over the bumps, raising the front camber link to calm the initial steering and going up by 5k in the front diff, again to smooth out the initial steering. Apart from that the rest of the set up was the same as ive used throughout the Worksop series. The car was dialled at RHR and was on par with people like Tom Yardy and Kev Lee to name a few.

We have quite a small selection of team drivers in the UK but those selected are very friendly and helpful, so if you do decide to buy this awsome ride then theres help on hand for set ups etc.

We update our set ups for each track raced on and these are on the TD website.

As for spares availability this is normally not an issue. The best thing to do is order some spares along with your car and order spares you think your most likely to break (although ive prop broke only two parts driving the car almost every week for about 6 months).

If youve got any other questions dont hesitate to ask.

Craig Collinson
Old 05-04-2010
Mad Member

Cheers Craig

As far as balance is concerned, is it quite balanced or is there a bias to either front (i.e. twitchy, lots of steering) or rear (i.e. stable, plenty of traction)? How's the jumping balance? I've seen that there are some specific weight kits out - are these required to get the correct balance in the Lipo era?

I really want to get sorted with a 4wd before the first 4wd regional (East Mids) as I don't fancy weighting up my 2wd!
Old 05-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by /tobys View Post
Cheers Craig

As far as balance is concerned, is it quite balanced or is there a bias to either front (i.e. twitchy, lots of steering) or rear (i.e. stable, plenty of traction)? How's the jumping balance? I've seen that there are some specific weight kits out - are these required to get the correct balance in the Lipo era?

I really want to get sorted with a 4wd before the first 4wd regional (East Mids) as I don't fancy weighting up my 2wd!
hi,im only telling you what iv found with the weight,i ran with both rear and side weights (indoor only) and with out rear but still with side weights,with all on its a lot more settled but i found it to slap happy coming out of some corners(might be my driving style)i took off the rear weight and can now put the hammer down out of every corner and it nit want to swop ends,it also reacts alot quicker so makes it for me a bit more skitty,once you get used to it though its a joy to throw around,the only way iv found this out is as i run at the same track every week i can see the difference,

ps i see you are from leicestershire,me and 3 others are also,there is a club in nottingham and we race on a friday nights indoor if you fancy setting the car up before sunday

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 06-04-2010
Mad Member

whats the venue and at what time start/finish?

the missus wants to go to Ikea this Friday night so will be in the general Nottingham area and might call in....
Old 06-04-2010
Super Moderator

Again, my changes last week from indoor worksop set-up to RHR astroturf set-up was:

Up one front spring.
From rear to middle hole on Ackerman link.

Job done,

G
Old 06-04-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
Again, my changes last week from indoor worksop set-up to RHR astroturf set-up was:

Up one front spring.
From rear to middle hole on Ackerman link.

Job done,

G
nice and easy then!
Old 06-04-2010

To answer your question about balance, the weight kits are a tuning aid but not essential. The car is totally balanced as it is with maybe a little bias towards the front. The weights are not really designed to combat balance problems when using lipo's, there more a tuning aid to help keep the rear of the car settled on bumpy tracks.

I used the weights once indoors then took them off for the rest of the series. The car had more drive and acceleration out of corners without them, but im sure ill be putting them back on at some point now were back outdoors on bumpy tracks.

Craig Collinson
Old 06-04-2010
Mad Member

thanks again Craig

Do you run the rollbars (Fr and/or Rr)?

Just need a firm release date on the 410R now and I'll have all the information I (think) I need to make my decision
Old 06-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by /tobys View Post
whats the venue and at what time start/finish?

the missus wants to go to Ikea this Friday night so will be in the general Nottingham area and might call in....
i would think if the missus want to go Ikea then 100miles would be in the area,we race at westbidgeford,we are on this forum under clubs,if you go on our web site for directions,we start at about 7ish and finish about 10ish,everyone is very friendly,hope fully see ya friday

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 06-04-2010
Mad Member

There will be a couple of us racing durangos at hinckley on saturday afternoons if you want to race there too. Knowing how to set up the car is something I'm learning but you are more than welcome to join in the fun.

1st buggy meeting is 24th April http://www.hinckleyrccc.co.uk/
Old 06-04-2010
Mad Member

sounds good
Old 06-04-2010

roll bars again are down to personal preference. I tend not to use them on low grip or bumpy tracks as they reduce roll therefore reducing grip and making the car worse over the bumps.

I have however used them with good effect on high grip smooth tracks where grip roll might be an issue.

They are something you might want to try to see if you like them or not.