Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Blackpool Radio control car club

Old 21-10-2013

Default PLEASE READ

The following is a joint opinion of mine and a number of the regular racers of the club. It is still subject the the track owners approval.

We are looking at banning the use of mini pin/spike style tires at the track, and we know that this will not please everybody who has been coming and are sorry about that. We will however, be likely promoting the use of foam tires on the driven axle of the cars, and any rubber or foam tire on the none driven axles. Myself and my friends will all still be running buggys, but on foam tires, and the track will maintain its current level of jumps and off road attractions.

We will plan to get an amount of foam tires at a very good price for anybody who wants it and can supply this from the club at unbeaten prices. (we are wanting advice on the compounds you guys would want (contact foam) and if anybody would like to pre order some if this is going ahead.)

This could go ahead as soon as a week on friday, but if that is the case, anybody who requests some tires should be able to collect some from the track this weekend.

We believe this will help with the driving conditions for the track style we are racing on, and will help to grow the club due to its ability to allow other onroad racer that were turned away, back, allowing for numbers to grow and the club to grow.

This is not a final decision but please don't go mental at me or anyone else who is planning to push this idea, we know some racers wish to not run on none mini pin tires, the problem we face is that not enough racers came to support the club with this style of racing in mind.
Thanks Andy.
Old 21-10-2013

How are foams on buggys going to allow on road racers back? That doesn't make sense. This is slightly off topic but the organisers of the club should be looking at stopping people running things like cars with no gear covers especially when kids are marshalling, that's one reason why I've not been coming back, sorry it's off topic but it's a big pet peeve of mine
Old 21-10-2013

Hi spennyy2k

We addressed this when you first mentioned this on here. We told all racers that they had to run these covers.

In reply to why foams allow onroad racers, we have design a quite clever design which allows to have many off road features in the layout including a large table top, a wall of death (that the onroad will cars take a different route to avoid, and various other jumps that marshals can place on before the buggy heats. This takes almost no effort.

The reason that foams allow onroad is because, if you try and run mini pins on carpet, it basically ruins the carpet, seen by the massive piles of fluff left at the side of the track. If you try and run an on road car on this, there is no grip, however if mini pins are taken off, the grip then builds up very fast for not just the buggys, but gt12 classes, touring cars, and 1/12 on road cars.
This allows everyone to be able to race.

The other reason that running the club in this way where it caters for solely buggys on mini pins (the only cars that have grip under there own conditions) is that sadly we have not been getting the levels of racers supporting the club that it requires to keep the club growing, turning up with these mini pin tires on.

I hope this helps you understand the reason we are considering a re-think. This decision is not yet final, we will update you when further decisions have been made.

Thanks
Old 21-10-2013

As far as I know you run the same carpet as ribble and there we have a mix of on road and buggies using foams and pins with greater numbers and it doesn't seem to cause any issues. I started racing in 88 and my folks were involve. In the running of several clubs, leagues etc so I've been around as has Darren and Chris we tried many times over the years to mix classes at club meetings and the only place I've seen it happen is ribble on a regular basis
Old 21-10-2013

We are not catering to ribbles members, we are our own club and we don't have these numbers, I would like to remind you that we have been running for a number of months with the same limitless classes that ribble does run however. We are a club trying to make a fun environment for the most number racers that we can, and I'm sorry we can clearly not please you, but like you say, you have not been supporting the club without this possible rule change anyway, so I guess for you it won't make a difference. regards
Old 22-10-2013

I know your not catering to ribbles members I'm just making a point , I've been to the club several times and enjoyed it but due to working shifts, distance from where I live etc I can't come often
Old 22-10-2013

This is obviously a difficulty we have with a number of the people who want to race the class same as yourself. This is why we are looking to try our own different thing in order to grow.. I know that onroad cars are capable of driving round on a track that has had mini pins on, I did several weeks racing at ribble with my touring car a few months ago, but it is not the sort of grip levels that can attract a strong amount of onroad racers to a club.

I hope to see you at the track, even with foams possibly sometime, we believe that it could allow a closer more competitive and cheaper racing atmosphere for our buggy racers.
Old 22-10-2013

ONROAD classes are back at the club, come along this friday with your 1/10 Touring car, GT12 (or mardave) classes and 1/12 LMP12 cars.

OFFROAD classes are still alive at the club,
As from now, there is NO changes to the club, MiniPins are still allowed at our track and you are still welcome to join us. We don't want to upset any racers, but we will at least attempt to swop the majority of racers over to using these new foam tires, that we can supply for you at good prices, from the track.
And if the change is going well, then we can consider any rule changes afterwards.
The plan to move racers away from mini pins is for the good of the club, to attract new racers, but also to protect our carpet, which would need replacing if we kept on as we are, and the club would not be able to afford to do so with the level of interest we have been attracting.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2013

Default May i add

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy murray View Post
We are not catering to ribbles members, we are our own club and we don't have these numbers, I would like to remind you that we have been running for a number of months with the same limitless classes that ribble does run however. We are a club trying to make a fun environment for the most number racers that we can, and I'm sorry we can clearly not please you, but like you say, you have not been supporting the club without this possible rule change anyway, so I guess for you it won't make a difference. regards
Can I ask what will you be doing to get new drivers there as I have popped up a few time everyone is very friendly and track is great but running foam tyres ? You mite as well just run touring cars and i have seen you want to run a large winter series which running foam tyres wont happen
Old 06-11-2013

Hi,

Well, this is the solution not the problem.

Currently mini pins are allowed and this weekend (being on both friday and saturday, only 1 buggy racer attended)

We will be catering to on road so as you say, we will race touring cars..

Foam tires on buggys is the solution as, all of the people who came to our track with a buggy, more than once every blue moon, have no issues with running on foam tires, therefore this allows everyone who actually attends, to be able to still come to our track..

We will be going through plans to increase growth in all classes such as better advertising, although advertising to buggy racers has not gone well in our attempts to reach racers at all local clubs..

Come along and make the buggy class strong
Old 20-11-2013

Send a message via MSN to Weetabix
Default visitors

Hi guys,

Just my thoughts for your consideration. As someone who has attended your club on 2 nights and had some good racing, I intended to come on a more regular racing (particularly when I cant do the full day on a Sunday).

However I doubt I will come all the way to Blackpool if you only allow foams. Not because I have any issue with foams as such but simply don't want to spend the money on a full set of wheels, foams and additive for just once or twice a month for a few hours in the evening. I know some of my fellow racers feel the same.

...So just a thought...