Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > News

Old 28-04-2014
Administrator

Default Open letter from Joseph Quagraine

My hero and friend JQ has released a letter for public consumption airing his views. FUN - yes!

JQ:
Hello,
I am writing this as JQ the RC Driver, JQ the Pro RC Driver, and JQ the RC company owner. The more I think about this, whatever position I think of myself to be in, the end result is the same. Something is wrong right now, and we have to fix it. We, as in the people actually racing at these events can do so, if we just voice our opinions together!

So what is the problem, it is pretty simple. I wanted to book my flights for the 1:8th Offroad Worlds, but I realised that I do not actually know which days the event is going to be! I have heard that the worlds will be extended, running for 11 days instead of 7, I have also heard it is just a proposal, I have heard that it will be just one week because “everyone complained”. But the point is, I have not heard anything official, and I would really like to book my flights and hotel!

THE Problem

It had been decided that there would not be any Worlds Warm up, or extended practice sessions at the Worlds venue in an effort to save costs. This sounded great, until Ifmar announced that the race would be extended by 4 days, for more practice. How this is supposed to save costs I do not know. 4 days more hotel, rental car, tyres, fuel, and most importantly, 2 weeks off work, instead of one. This is a HUGE mistake in my opinion. The reasons are:

- Additional practice, for what? No one I have spoken with wants more practice. We already have enough (too much).

- Additional practice, for what? No one I have spoken with wants more practice. We already have enough (too much).

- It is hard enough for many people to get 1 week off work, now they have to get 2 weeks off? In addition the added cost, it is not good for the average racer. I have heard drivers say they won’t go because they would have to miss the practice, and feel like they will be at a disadvantage. Is this the idea of a WC?

- Added costs for the manufacturers will be substantial, fuel, tyres, parts, and all on a track that wears out tyres in 1 run? How will a person paying for his own stuff afford to go?

Why would 4 extra days be GOOD?

I tried really hard to think of reasons, these are the only two reasons I could come up with:

- Someone wanted a longer all expenses paid holiday.

- Someone wanted a longer all expenses paid holiday.

- Someone has struck a deal with local hotels. Count for yourself how much money 4 extra days brings the hotels…..(Disclamer: This is based totally on speculation, as I said, I tried really hard to think of reasons :-))

So, people, if you agree with me that you don’t want to spend the extra money, you don’t want to take the extra time off (or on), and you don’t want to spend 11 days at ONE EVENT, please let’s stop this from happening!

I love the Worlds, it is the best race, but after Argentina, now this? We can do better….

And let’s leave these other problems for another time shall we?

- “No worlds drivers will be driving on the track before the worlds” Oh really? So no Italians are going? I seem to recall that the Italian nationals were recently held on the same track.

- The track layout/surface needs to be renewed by at least 60% – The organiser themselves told me nothing would be changed.

- The surface needs to be at least 50% natural soil. – It is apparently 100% concrete and carpet.

THE Future

Let’s try to remember why we race RC Cars, it is supposed to be fun! Let’s make these events affordable and enjoyable for everyone. Let’s visit locations with a large local RC scene, easy access for everyone, and great facilities. Let’s promote the event locally, and involve local media. Let’s shorten up the program, and cut costs. Why don’t we do this so that the RC scene can grow! Racing at remote locations, for almost two weeks, is not a step forward. The manufacturers, or the sport in general gains nothing.
Old 06-05-2014

its a long time since this hobby was about fun at the end of the event someone will have won the worlds and manufacturers want that title and will invest heavily to get it if an organiser can use that desire to fill their wallet a little more they will basic greed if a few drivers decide not to go there are plenty more to take their place the event will continue the only way to change it will be for manufacturers to raise concerns
Old 06-05-2014

I think for the reasons you mention in regards what's at stake for manufactures they will not be in a position to appeal to reason. What I get the feeling is being suggested or taking shape by JQ is an idea of a need for an association representing the interests of the drivers? I don't know how such a thing would take shape, maybe senior drivers and ambassadorial figures from across different scales should come up with something to take to governing bodies. When these things are revealed as the obvious nonsense they are manufactures would operate within the guidelines as long as they are applied universally and save them money.
It sounds in this case like someone is making random unsupported decisions just because they can.