Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 19-12-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredoggy View Post
so. please explain to me how the hell the race director can make your car lose laps ??????????????
By not setting timing equipment properly, not setting the race software up properly or by not booking your transponder in properly!
Old 19-12-2012

with all due respect thats Bollocks!!
loop to decoder . decoder to computer, its not rocket science
i would love to know how to setup the software to miss random laps for just one car
the transponder number is either correct or incorrect. it will either count or not (not miss ramdom laps)
Old 19-12-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
i would love to know how to setup the software to miss random laps for just one car
the transponder number is either correct or incorrect. it will either count or not (not miss ramdom laps)
there is no respect there!

if the gain is not set right on decoder then weaker signal transponders will not be detected or intermittant depending on situation with car position on loop or loop position on track.... race directors job to ensure this!

if the minimum lap time is not set on software correctly by race director then cars under that time will be missing and not counted also the same for max lap time

if the race director doesn't enter the transponder number correctly then it wont count at all

And trust me i've experienced all these things so they exist!

so who is talking bollocks?
Old 19-12-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Incorrect setup of the loop or wrong settings in the software mainly.

I managed to 'lose' peoples laps when we made a rather short track where the fastest drivers (but only a few drivers, and not every lap) were lapping under softwares minimum lap time. The program doesn't tell you its discounted the lap, it just ignores it so there was no indication there, all I knew was people were complaining. Its only when I realised that the minimum lap time had been raised for the previous meeting (on a long track) that I could solve the problem.
I'd call that one operator error as I hadn't adjusted the settings to the conditions.

Its not an insult to race controllers to admit that they are human and make occasional errors.....

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 19-12-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Incorrect setup of the loop or wrong settings in the software mainly.

I managed to 'lose' peoples laps when we made a rather short track where the fastest drivers were lapping under softwares minimum lap time. The program doesn't tell you its discounted the lap, it just ignores it so there was no indication there, all I knew was people were complaining. Its only when I realised that the minimum lap time had been raised for the previous meeting (on a long track) that I could solve the problem.
I'd call that one operator error as I hadn't adjusted the settings to the conditions.
Nice one matey, cheers for the back-up on that one

Being a Race director is a horrible thankless task so thumbs up for doing it and its an easy mistake if a venue changes track layouts a lot.

And you can use the audio warnings to let you know of a problem lap.. on BBK you can anyways... bit late once its happened but at least you know it is!
Old 19-12-2012

Quote:
weaker signal transponders
oh you mean MRTs?
min lap, i have done this on one occasion i can think of, when i didn't realise just how fast a 12 pan car is
easy fix in seconds during the race (by any competent RC)
wrong PT number, this is usually because the racer is to lazy to enter his correct number on the on line booking system and cant be arsed to tell race control its the wrong number on the heat list(again easy fix during race by any decent RC)
this happens at EVERY race meeting i race direct. so it does happen
Old 19-12-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
so. please explain to me how the hell the race director can make your car lose laps ??????????????
So what was this asked for if you have done it yourself?
Old 19-12-2012

Having read this thread I really can't see why so many people are throwing their toys out of their prams!

AMB have upgraded their timing system - they have done it before amb20 to rc2, rc2 to rc3, so now we have rc4 - natural progression nice to see that manufacturers are developing their product. From what I have read it offers a few new features including the ability to have a few transponders with the same number - very handy for those that race more than one class.

MRT state that they can't clone Harry transponders so are stuck with using numbers from older ones so can only keep producing with a finite number of numbers and are also "cloning" another product

Having looked at the mylaps website they have information about rc4 which says that it is backwards compatible so will work with older transponders (if it works with older transponders why wouldn't it work with mrt ones as well? They show test figures for it on their literature)

Just follow this link and read their info about rc4
http://www.mylaps.com/kb/en/b2c/Tran...epaper_RC4.pdf

I'm just a relative newbie to this hobby but from what I can see lots of people are getting het up for no real reason

WWW.WCRCCC.CO.UK

One Life, Live it!

Old 19-12-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Monkey View Post
Having read this thread I really can't see why so many people are throwing their toys out of their prams!

AMB have upgraded their timing system - they have done it before amb20 to rc2, rc2 to rc3, so now we have rc4 - natural progression nice to see that manufacturers are developing their product. From what I have read it offers a few new features including the ability to have a few transponders with the same number - very handy for those that race more than one class.

MRT state that they can't clone Harry transponders so are stuck with using numbers from older ones so can only keep producing with a finite number of numbers and are also "cloning" another product

Having looked at the mylaps website they have information about rc4 which says that it is backwards compatible so will work with older transponders (if it works with older transponders why wouldn't it work with mrt ones as well? They show test figures for it on their literature)

Just follow this link and read their info about rc4
http://www.mylaps.com/kb/en/b2c/Tran...epaper_RC4.pdf

I'm just a relative newbie to this hobby but from what I can see lots of people are getting het up for no real reason
with all due respect, if your asking the question in your brakets, then you aint read all the thread!
Old 21-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
In a way it could be a good thing for the smaller clubs as the market will be flooded with 2nd hand digital decodes and pt's
NO the market won't be flooded because you have to trade in your old decoder unless it is an RC3 then it is a software update.
Old 22-12-2012

Quote:
No it's not rocket science but it does take a level of skill that you learn over some years.

Random transponders missing random laps from random cars is the biggest headeach for an RD. It's usually a mixture of many different things all transpiring together that then effects one or two drivers ON THAT DAY.

Usually starts with a degrading loop or coax, coupled with either a badly placed PT, thick carbon/Ali chassis, worn PT cable, or even poor BEC performance. And that's the short list!

As an RD you have to understand what the decoder and the software is telling you about the incoming laps.

And as Si says that's before you remember to change the min/max lap times for different layouts for each class.

I still maintain that every driver should do a stint in race control!
Old 23-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyro View Post
I still maintain that every driver should do a stint in race control!

Oh yesssssssssssss
Old 23-12-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyro View Post
Usually starts with a degrading loop or coax, coupled with either a badly placed PT, thick carbon/Ali chassis, worn PT cable, or even poor BEC performance. And that's the short list!
Add to that list:

* placing the loop in a position where cars are airborne,
* Placing the loop in insulating pipe full of rain water and burying it under soil and sand,
* placing the loop on a fast sweeping corner so the racing line takes cars outside the edge of loop,
* placing loop on fast sweeping corner so 4wd's on full power and initial full steering lock have a voltage drop as they pass over it
* not setting gain correctly so half the field have missing laps.
* fog,
* bad light,
* wrong kind of wind,
* passing aircraft,
* too much paint/stickers on bodyshells
* Mayan prophecies against selected Durango, Vega and TLR cars

Old 27-01-2013

I read this question being asked but I don't think it has been answered.

I had an AMB transponder. I got it when they first came out in the early 2000's or when ever it was. About 18 months ago it was frayed and worn out so I got two MRT PT's, one for each car. I sent my old AMB PT as if you did this you could get two for the price of one. They did however clone my AMB transponder so that I had two new PT's with the same number as my original AMB PT.

Seeing as they are clones of my AMB does anyone know if I will have this same problem?

Cheer
Old 27-01-2013
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Josh - your MRT's will not work on RC4 decoders. There is no distinction between a copied number PT and a MRT with 20 numbers built in.
If you want to move 200 miles up north again we have no plans at YORCC to move from RC3...
Old 27-01-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post

Seeing as they are clones of my AMB does anyone know if I will have this same problem?

Cheer
Yes. It's the new decoder that won't read the MRT's whether or not they are cloned.
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 27-01-2013

Thanks for the reply guys. Okay I understand. It seems like such an unnecessary expense. Im in my first proper job from uni so don't earn a great deal. I have to plan my racing budget carefully now it seems I have to buy these new transponders. Since my move down south I don't belong to a club anymore so wont be able to get any of the discount. This sort of thing can stop me from racing for a month. We all already know the cost of racing is huge anyway without having to replace things that work fine.

I have had no problems since MRT sold me two clones for the price of one. They have never skipped a beat and fit in the car easily and also look okay.

I found out last night that my new region will be changing so if I want to compete at the regionals down here I will need to upgrade and buy the new transponders. It is infuriating for me so much so I was just put off going racing today as planned to race at the TORCH winter series as I thought I cant afford the tyres to race if Im going to need to buy these new transponders.

Its times like this I did wish I was still up north and I take my hat off to my old club YORCC for them sticking up for what I think is right. I think this whole situation sticks!

Before anyone says its progress etc I cant honestly remember the last time I saw a problem with missed laps. I see that it works fine so why change? It seems to be like clubs are being bullied into this and brainwashed into thinking it is actually better for us all.
Old 27-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chequered Flag Racing View Post
Yes. It's the new decoder that won't read the MRT's whether or not they are cloned.
DEFINITELY wont

or MAYBE wont ??
Old 27-01-2013
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePimlott View Post
DEFINITELY wont

or MAYBE wont ??
Definitely won't.
Old 27-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Thanks for the reply guys. Okay I understand. It seems like such an unnecessary expense. Im in my first proper job from uni so don't earn a great deal. I have to plan my racing budget carefully now it seems I have to buy these new transponders. Since my move down south I don't belong to a club anymore so wont be able to get any of the discount. This sort of thing can stop me from racing for a month. We all already know the cost of racing is huge anyway without having to replace things that work fine.

I have had no problems since MRT sold me two clones for the price of one. They have never skipped a beat and fit in the car easily and also look okay.

I found out last night that my new region will be changing so if I want to compete at the regionals down here I will need to upgrade and buy the new transponders. It is infuriating for me so much so I was just put off going racing today as planned to race at the TORCH winter series as I thought I cant afford the tyres to race if Im going to need to buy these new transponders.

Its times like this I did wish I was still up north and I take my hat off to my old club YORCC for them sticking up for what I think is right. I think this whole situation sticks!

Before anyone says its progress etc I cant honestly remember the last time I saw a problem with missed laps. I see that it works fine so why change? It seems to be like clubs are being bullied into this and brainwashed into thinking it is actually better for us all.

Sell the MRT's on ebay, then buy AMB then your future proof !!
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311