Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 12-08-2013

Default DEX210 - Robinhood, York, Worksop, Yorkshire.

evening all.

i have decided i need to get back into rc racing, i left 1/10th carpet touring car club racing a few years back.

on my doorstep i have robin hood raceway and deerdale tracks, so i am looking at racing 2wd buggy.

after a bit of research i have come accross the Dex210, now i need some advice and guidance. and i understand the dex210 v2 is coming out early next year.

BUT, am i best getting the RTR or the kit version, i have been advised to get BRCA spec stuff incase i race in competitions, which i plan on to in the near future and a lot of practice .

for last couple of years i have been using turnigy, nanotech, xerun, hobbywing. can anyone tell me if this stuff is allowed in BRCA and do people actually run this stuff?

i used to be a Novak man years ago, but with buggys i have now idea, i do like my savox servos though.

i am assuming there is only one version of the DEX210, but then its either kit form or RTR form. i dont want to be no speed freak, so the rtr kits seems the way.

any advice or guidance is much appreciated.

Last edited by micksid; 25-08-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2013

oh, still cant get over how cheap the dex210 kits are, i always remember paying around £400 for a decent 1/10th touring car roller.
Old 12-08-2013

I would go for the kit version, Savox 1258 servo, Hobbywing 90a V2.1 esc, Nano-tech batteries and choose a Trackstar motor up to 7.5t.
Old 13-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgeracer View Post
I would go for the kit version, Savox 1258 servo, Hobbywing 90a V2.1 esc, Nano-tech batteries and choose a Trackstar motor up to 7.5t.
Agreed, i've done exactly this and so far i'm well impressed. The problem with RTRs is you usually have to change the electrics almost straight away if you want to do any serious racing meaning they're not as much of a bargain as they first appear, but DEX210s are so cheap from MB Models/JE Spares ATM, buying the kit and fitting decent electrics works out to not much more than the RTR and I enjoyed the experience of building mine.
Old 13-08-2013
oOple Advertiser

Here is a link to the BRCA approved electrics lists for 2013. This will probably change for 2014 but it's a good starting point..............

http://www.brca.org/index.php?q=cont...-updates/14218
Old 13-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgeracer View Post

I,ve never seen a Turnigy nano tech battery on the BRCA list and even though they are extremely popular they are not BRCA legal.
FTX Vantage
Cen FF.NT
Old 13-08-2013
Mad Member

I don't think anyone pays any attention to that untill national level I've never seen anyone get scrutinised for it at a regional

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 13-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippy View Post
I,ve never seen a Turnigy nano tech battery on the BRCA list and even though they are extremely popular they are not BRCA legal.
I wasnt aware of that. Atleast they are ROAR legal, but maybe that doesnt count in GB
Old 13-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksid View Post
oh, still cant get over how cheap the dex210 kits are, i always remember paying around £400 for a decent 1/10th touring car roller.
+1 One of the main reasons I went for buggies rather than TCs

I went for the kit and picked up the Savox servo named above. Picked up a Dualsky 550-MJ speedo and Dualsky 8.5 motor. I run a shorty Vampire Lipo, but to be honest that was because it was the best priced one still BRCA legal.

Just come off my first season of regionals and this spec certainly didn't embarress me at all (my driving skills more than capable of doing that on their own), certainly quick enough to compete mid-pack if I could keep the car on it's wheels

If you don't ask, you'll never know!
Old 14-08-2013

2wd buggy is (IMO) the way to get back into (cheaper, teaches you good driving habbits etc).

Pop down to RHR on a Wed eve (clubnight) and have a look at what people run (we're a friendly bunch and will happily show you what we run, works etc)

The RTR is a good deal but only if you stick to stock electrics (which with an unboosted 13.5t most will ditch fairly quickly).

My advise whichever car you get, get a kit or a second hand racecar complete with electrics (a season old racecar can be had at very attractive prices).

The BRCA list stuff is handy, but only if you're planning to do nationals/regionals (and as already said mainly nationals). For club level/oople series it's not that important.

Hope this helps
Charles

Quote:
evening all.

i have decided i need to get back into rc racing, i left 1/10th carpet touring car club racing a few years back.

on my doorstep i have robin hood raceway and deerdale tracks, so i am looking at racing 2wd buggy.

after a bit of research i have come accross the Dex210, now i need some advice and guidance. and i understand the dex210 v2 is coming out early next year.

BUT, am i best getting the RTR or the kit version, i have been advised to get BRCA spec stuff incase i race in competitions, which i plan on to in the near future and a lot of practice .

for last couple of years i have been using turnigy, nanotech, xerun, hobbywing. can anyone tell me if this stuff is allowed in BRCA and do people actually run this stuff?

i used to be a Novak man years ago, but with buggys i have now idea, i do like my savox servos though.

i am assuming there is only one version of the DEX210, but then its either kit form or RTR form. i dont want to be no speed freak, so the rtr kits seems the way.

any advice or guidance is much appreciated.
Old 22-08-2013

thanks for the replys, didnt get notifications for all these posts but appreciate your help

over the last week i have managed to buy the following

dex 210 with lots of red tresery parts on it
speed passion relenton v3 7.5t combo (new)
4 x shorty nano tech a spec 4200
trying to get hold of a tresery hg450 servo but out of stock every where so will prob use my savox 1258 or 1257.

i am hoping to join you in the next few weeks over at RHR but off on holiday at beginiinng of sept so might not get chance. am i right in thinking that you go over to york in the winter months on a saturday.

one more question, what tyres do i need to run on astro? fronts and rears?

see you all soon
Old 22-08-2013

Schumacher Yellow low profile cut staggers on the front and yellow mini spikes on rear for dry weather.
For wet weather ballistic buggy greens all round.

These are a good stating point

Phill
Old 22-08-2013

Good start.
4 batteries a bit of an overkill for 2wd (esp if you bring a charger with you) but better safe than sorry.
Servo wise any of the options that you mention or for something cheaper that works well: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/alturn-u...roducts/359790 I'm using it in one of my 2wds and it's v.good (use DS1313 in my other 2 buggys and a 1258 in the SC so the comparison is against good servos)
Tyre wise the tyres of choise at RHR:
DRY:
Front: Yellow Schumacher low profile cut staggers on narrow rims (no insert)
Rear : Yellow Schumacher mini spike with medium inserts or Schumacher blocks (also yellows with medium inserts) (if you go with mini spikes possibly 2 sets of rears, the blocks last better without a dropping performance)
WET:
Ballistic buggy spikes green compound with medium inserts front & rear

Quote:
thanks for the replys, didnt get notifications for all these posts but appreciate your help

over the last week i have managed to buy the following

dex 210 with lots of red tresery parts on it
speed passion relenton v3 7.5t combo (new)
4 x shorty nano tech a spec 4200
trying to get hold of a tresery hg450 servo but out of stock every where so will prob use my savox 1258 or 1257.

i am hoping to join you in the next few weeks over at RHR but off on holiday at beginiinng of sept so might not get chance. am i right in thinking that you go over to york in the winter months on a saturday.

one more question, what tyres do i need to run on astro? fronts and rears?

see you all soon
Old 22-08-2013

brilliant,

just had a look at my buggy and it already has staggers on the front with no inserts and schumacher mini pins on the rear. i have another set so hopefully will be ballistics or something.

where is the best place to source tyres, i have found MB models to be competitative at the moment.

just soldered all the wires onto my esc tonight, will finish motor off tomorrow. its coming along nicely,

i think i got 4 lipos as i always had 4 when i raced touring cars, due to not having time between heats to charge them.

lastly would a 4200mah shorty last two heats before charging? i understand it depends on certain factors, but just talking in general.

cheers
Old 23-08-2013

Make sure that they are mini spikes, not mini pins. Minipins are the tyre of choice on carpet, and some really short pile astro. They are not great at RHR (they do work but not as well as minispikes or blocks)
MB is what I use most (good service and reasonable proximity to me)
Battery wise, I use 4000MAh shorties in my H2, with a 7.5t SP combo and reasonable timing and can easilly get 2 heats without charging (I could get a 3rd one if I really wanted to push it).

Quote:
brilliant,

just had a look at my buggy and it already has staggers on the front with no inserts and schumacher mini pins on the rear. i have another set so hopefully will be ballistics or something.

where is the best place to source tyres, i have found MB models to be competitative at the moment.

just soldered all the wires onto my esc tonight, will finish motor off tomorrow. its coming along nicely,

i think i got 4 lipos as i always had 4 when i raced touring cars, due to not having time between heats to charge them.

lastly would a 4200mah shorty last two heats before charging? i understand it depends on certain factors, but just talking in general.

cheers
Old 23-08-2013

sorted

can anyone advice me on a good starting pinion to use, i will be running sp 7.5t, am i right in thinking 24 or 25t pinion?
Old 23-08-2013

What spur have you got on?

Quote:
sorted

can anyone advice me on a good starting pinion to use, i will be running sp 7.5t, am i right in thinking 24 or 25t pinion?
Old 23-08-2013

factory 87t i believe...
Old 23-08-2013

Quote:
sorted

I had a go on the astro whilst I was at the Invernational running a 7.5 with a 24t pinion and standard spur.....seemed fine.
Old 23-08-2013

think i will order a 24t and 25t

dont suppose anyone has a savox 1258tg for sale? if so let me know.