Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 04-02-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Pleanty of threadleft in the tower just tighten the screws more.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 04-02-2009

It's not that at all....it is because the inside of the tower meets with the top of the rear diff cover and dremeling the inside too much weakens the tower loads. I expect I will have a gap as I can't physically get the tower to sit any lower without removing more material from inside.

Old 04-02-2009

put a washer on top of the rear pivot block mine seems to be fine.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 04-02-2009

I'll try it, thanks.

Old 04-02-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyb4 View Post
put a washer on top of the rear pivot block mine seems to be fine.

A

Ash, you don't run an X5 as far as I'm aware though. The tranny tunnel profile is different.

Bux, do you mean at the front? You really want it to sit down as much as possible and all be clamped down properly. If it's not there is chance the toe in block can move up and down and your antisquat will actually change during the run. You can take some material out of the top of the diff cover to gain some more clearance.

Actually have you deliberatly threaded out the toe in blocks? As if not you'll often tighten up in that thread so you can't pull the tower down far enough.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 04-02-2009

Yea i know the tunnel is diffrent and you have to remove some of the material from the shock tower for it to fit it should clamp down the washers where just a suggestion.

A

Old 05-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
Ash, you don't run an X5 as far as I'm aware though. The tranny tunnel profile is different.

Bux, do you mean at the front? You really want it to sit down as much as possible and all be clamped down properly. If it's not there is chance the toe in block can move up and down and your antisquat will actually change during the run. You can take some material out of the top of the diff cover to gain some more clearance.

Actually have you deliberatly threaded out the toe in blocks? As if not you'll often tighten up in that thread so you can't pull the tower down far enough.
I actually drill out the toe block holes so that it only tightens to the tower.

Just dremel more from the tower to get the 2 to meet. You can take some of the housing but may as well do it off the tower.

There is a brace available from X Factory (by some clever E Speed guy ) that you can put on the front of the tower to beef it up for when it is dremeled.

E.
Old 05-02-2009

Thanks Dan and Ellis...that is much clearer.

Old 05-02-2009

Do all of you that run upside-down-blocks put washers back undeneath to get 2 deg anti-squat?

I tried the mod with 0 degree blocks and didn't like it because it made the car unpredictable (would dive off sideways over bumps), but now I'm thinking I forgot to add washers
Old 05-02-2009

I just run the 2° and cut of the pimples and stick them on the car, don't really play with the squat too much on it as I never feel I need to and don't have any washers under them.

E.
Old 06-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gps3300 View Post
Do all of you that run upside-down-blocks put washers back undeneath to get 2 deg anti-squat?

I tried the mod with 0 degree blocks and didn't like it because it made the car unpredictable (would dive off sideways over bumps), but now I'm thinking I forgot to add washers
Well I'll let you know after Sunday! I'm running the 0 degree blocks with XXX Anti-Squat shims under the front screws between the chassis and the blocks. The blocks are visibly angled backwards now (higher at the front).

I had to take a lot of material off the blocks though because they were fouling on my outdrive savers.

I've kept the 2 degree ones to one side and will whip them back on in the event of unpredictability...but at least on the bench the 0 degree flipped ones feel lovely and means I have a greater range of useful movement in the shock, i.e. they're threaded into the middle of the shock now whereas before they were almost fully tightened down.

Old 06-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

I only run 2 deg blocks with a thin washer under the front.
Old 06-02-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

Personally I'm a 0 deg man, pimples cut off, sometimes with 1 washer under the front if I want some antisquat but often not and so 0deg.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 06-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
Personally I'm a 0 deg man, pimples cut off, sometimes with 1 washer under the front if I want some antisquat but often not and so 0deg.
Interesting, might give it a go but im not sure it will have the stability i like. O yeah, i cut the pimples off too.
Old 06-02-2009
Mad Member

Remember that if the shock tower is not in the correct location (up and down) you are changing the entire suspension geometry. While this might be advantageous, considering the legendary quality of the xx-4 suspension, that's not likely. I suggest doing what is necessary to maintain the same assembled height as standard.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 08-02-2009

Hey dudes, ive been reading this thread, and i dont know if im confused or other people are confused, so this is what ive gleaned from my own knowledge of this and whats in this thread, my understanding is that flipping the blocks would not affect anti squat, the 2 deg or 0 deg block refers to the amount of toe-in the block gives the arm (right or wrong?) Ashley brings up a good point and its backed up by young chazz, as soon as you've filed something away on the block, the tower, if screwed all the way down to meet the blocks against the chassis, will then sit lower than it previously would (that could all be very small amount of difference) a spacer in between the block and the tower would restore tower height and should also then avoid the need to dremel more off the tower to get it to fit over the belt tunnel
Old 08-02-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

Not quite,

We're all talking about the worlds (CR) toe in blocks which are all 3 deg toe in. The 0 or 2 refers to the amount of antisquat the block has when the right way up. Personally becasue of my concern that a 2 deg block reversed should give 2 deg pro squat, for ease I always use the 0 block so it's easier to then washer up the front edge to generate antisquat as required.

The pips you trim off are very small, I wouldn't worry about tower height being effected, however becasue they are amall I wouldn't want them as the low face you clamp down hard against the chassis.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 08-02-2009

ahh, thanks Dan, now i understand it all, im assuming the result would be the same if using the old blocks also ( as in changing the height of the hingepin), im not an anti squat user either. Did i miss the meeting where everyone decided to run the cr rear blocks?lol are you guys therefore running cr rear arms and hubs. I like the old school setup, but i was going to toy with 0 deg toe-in and 1 or 2 deg toe in at the hubs
Old 08-02-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

3 deg inboard come on the xx4 WE? It's xx CR not the newer XXX CR.

The 0 deg inboard and toe outboard was from the original XX/XX4, the only person I know that used that was Cree who liked it with the 2 1/2 deg hubs. I have the bits for it but tend to stick with the 'norm'

As it happens though I am now using the XXX CR wishbones and hubs for for different reasons, there is no forced compatability.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 08-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddybux View Post
Well I'll let you know after Sunday! I'm running the 0 degree blocks with XXX Anti-Squat shims under the front screws between the chassis and the blocks. The blocks are visibly angled backwards now (higher at the front).

I had to take a lot of material off the blocks though because they were fouling on my outdrive savers.

I've kept the 2 degree ones to one side and will whip them back on in the event of unpredictability...but at least on the bench the 0 degree flipped ones feel lovely and means I have a greater range of useful movement in the shock, i.e. they're threaded into the middle of the shock now whereas before they were almost fully tightened down.
Well I said I'd come back on comment on the car with 0 degree blocks and anti-squat shims under the front screws to bring it back to 2 degrees of anti squat.

It was freaking awesome! Never have I felt the X-5 so planted and predicable to drive fast. This was on an indoor circuit at the Southport GP. Two carpet types, jumps, bumps / ripples and slippery tarp. I'm certainly sticking with this mod.