Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

View Poll Results: Yes or no.
Yes 47 58.02%
No 34 41.98%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2010

Default Pro vs 'R'

Who of the Pro owners are peeved that the cheaper 'R' version comes with things like 2mm drive pins and the CVD collar to protect your batteries?
The purpose of this poll is for people to show if as a collective they think that these 'reliability upgrades' should be made available at a discount to existing 'Pro' owners.
Old 11-03-2010

Yeah, and I have confirmation from TD that they are reviewing the next batch of DEX410F(ull spec). Will include the new cvds and lipo holder.

I would go Full spec
Old 11-03-2010

I have neither version... but I voted no just so the folks who are wealthy enough to have bought a Pro get PO'ed...

Paul

(damn it's been a while since I felt so enthusiastic about a car... I know what I want for my birthday...)
Old 11-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

im not,if you look at the smaller picture then i can see people will be,but the bigger picture is it all adds up to a long lasting development,i think what might happen is people might not just go out and buy a new top spec kit,like the 2wd kit,if however they give out the new bits like the 2mm updates then people will buy it knowing they wont have to then pay to upgrade the top spec car when the "r" comes out

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 11-03-2010
Mad Member

The thinking behind a competion machine, especially one that is fairly expensive is that it's not going to be bought by a first time racer so compromises can be made which will sacrifice durability but offer maximum performance from the car.

The fact that durango have introduced a kit which is still high quality but with a cheaper price tag means it will be looked at by a wider and less experienced audience, they have seen feedback on the exisiting driveshafts so have done something to make them stronger.

So far I've only had a couple of trips out with my 410 but I haven't experienced any problems so far but I have planned on replacing the pins every few meetings anyway. This is a full on race car, to expect no maintenace to the drivetrain bespecially with todays levels of power would be absurd.

Should they offer a discount to owners of the full fat car? I don't think they should, I'm pretty sure schumacher aren't doing a deal for cat SX owners and Xfactory didn't do anything for x6 owners when the squared came out.

I think I will be getting hold of a set with the 2mm pins in due course but until then I will continue to use the existing ones.

ETA - It would show real commitment to their drivers if Durango did offer an upgrade discount but they shouldn't feel obliged to.

Last edited by Bungleaio; 11-03-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Extra text added
Old 11-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleaio View Post

Should they offer a discount to owners of the full fat car? I don't think they should, I'm pretty sure schumacher aren't doing a deal for cat SX owners and Xfactory didn't do anything for x6 owners when the squared came out.

I think I will be getting hold of a set with the 2mm pins in due course but until then I will continue to use the existing ones.
Im on about a few pins and a collar NOT THE FULL FEKKING CAR MAN!!

Also the cars above you mention are UPGRADES from their predecessors, not supposed 'downgrades' for want of a better word.
Old 11-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
I have neither version... but I voted no just so the folks who are wealthy enough to have bought a Pro get PO'ed...

Paul

(damn it's been a while since I felt so enthusiastic about a car... I know what I want for my birthday...)
Why do you feel you can vote if you dont own one?
Old 11-03-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4pete View Post
Im on about a few pins and a collar NOT THE FULL FEKKING CAR MAN!!

Also the cars above you mention are UPGRADES from their predecessors, not supposed 'downgrades' for want of a better word.
It's not just the pins is it, you need the shafts, bushes and axels if you want to change to 2mm pins.

I know the cars I mentioned are the next incarnation of the models but they aren't exactly a million miles away from the cars they replace.
Old 11-03-2010

This isnt a replacement car though is it?
Its supposed to be a budget version.
Old 11-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

it is a different car though isn't it, its got a different part number and a different name.

a Poll like this will always be a little bias, if you offered me the choice of having something at full price or having a discount I'd choose the discount every single time, I don't think I know anyone that wouldn't
Old 11-03-2010
Mad Member

Exactly it's a budget version hence it will probably won't be maintained as often as someone who is prepared to pay almost twice as much for basically the same car.

At least there will be alternatives available if you should so wish. Like I said I've had no issues with mine so I'm in no rush to have stronger ones but it's nice to have the option.
Old 11-03-2010

I get the feeling something is wrong in this discussion...

Buy a car, build it properly, be satisfied with what you've got.
There will always be something better, bigger, cheaper. So what...?
Old 11-03-2010

I always the exclusiveness of the durango (its price) made it a special car, I have no problem the R version but kinda makes you wander if it was worth buying at twice the price.. the 'upgrade path' looks very similar to tamiyas blue bling, not always necessary but looks pretty sexy.. if the price was maybe 1o0 or so less then I couldn't mind, but from a business stand point gerd is going to be very successful
Old 11-03-2010

I voted No, as i've had no issues with the pins so far </touches lots of wood>

I use heat shrink for the covers and i dont have a problem with the width of the pins. I wouldnt want it discounted, i'd want it free (Like xray did) if it were going to happen, but i dont expect it to and dont think it should be done.

the upgraded drives shafts should simply be "another part" and as part of that kit it should include everything needed.
Old 11-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post
I always the exclusiveness of the durango (its price) made it a special car, I have no problem the R version but kinda makes you wander if it was worth buying at twice the price.. the 'upgrade path' looks very similar to tamiyas blue bling, not always necessary but looks pretty sexy.. if the price was maybe 1o0 or so less then I couldn't mind, but from a business stand point gerd is going to be very successful
Yeah I am with you on the exclusiveness (it's price) it did make it a special car....now i feel its been cheapened and if both were available at the start I would of gone for the "R"

www.wbmcc.com
Old 11-03-2010
Mad Member

I've voted no, as I've not had any problems with mine since getting it in September, apart from the pins coming out a couple of times early on, before I biult them correctly.

As for the R having 2mm pins, I dare say it will be a running change on the full fat version as well, so it won't be like the cheaper car is getting better stuff, it's only those of us who have the early cars that will have to buy new shafts, if they want to.

It's normal for things to evolve as time goes on.

Pete, maybe you'd like to start complaining that the metal shock towers have extra holes in, and maybe the R owners will be able to run set ups you can't
Old 11-03-2010

I have no problem with the new parts on the R. They have to make the change sometime, so they may as well put it on this car also. It shows they make stuff soooo well release top notch stuff that the newest most cutting edge parts they released are on the BUDGET car. I am really excited for the R - they sacrificed none of the awesome quality parts the make the DE410 what it is, only using cheaper materials in non key points to get the price down. (same bullet-proof drivetrain, Same plastic material, Same adjustability, Same suspension)

lets see associated drop something like this!

Xray - Durango - Futaba - Tekin
Old 11-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4pete View Post
Who of the Pro owners are peeved that the cheaper 'R' version comes with things like 2mm drive pins and the CVD collar to protect your batteries?
The purpose of this poll is for people to show if as a collective they think that these 'reliability upgrades' should be made available at a discount to existing 'Pro' owners.
Not fussed at all that the new parts are included in the latest model It'd make sense to get them on there right away instead of letting people get upgrades or have to purchase them at a later date....

...that leads me to the next bit. The new drive shafts and pins should be available to all current DEX410 owners at a discounted cost. It's happened with 1/8 rallycross over the years, cars such as the RC8 for example had an upgrade pack released after the car was released and owners of the buggy received this for free. I don't expect the Durango parts to be given out to current owners but will happily pay for them at a discounted rate.

Yes you could go onto the whole if it's built right the problems aren't there issue. But why develop new driveshafts if they are not needed.
Old 11-03-2010

I am one of the people who does thing the upgrades should be made available to people that already own the original car.

The fact is that a signigifcant number of people have had issues with the original small pins, even if others haven't. The fact that Durango have chosen to change this spec is an acknowledgement that the original parts aren't quite up to the job. Otherwise they wouldn't have done it. It's also very telling to me that '2.0mm' is now etched on every bone, thus making 2.0mm pins a saleable feature.

Everyone understands that kits progress during production, bu it is gauling for some of the people who have paid BIG bucks for the most expensive 1/10 kit in history (excluding the 511 from some outlets which came later anyway) to have it superceeded by a budget model. It was in fact these original buyers that did the R&D to find the weakness, but they won't see the benefit without shellling out more £££ on upgrades.

Seeing as it's everyone who bought the original kit that has given durango the capital to build their business up (with the 408 and 410R) then it really would be good PR for durango to offer either a 2.0 pin conversion kit at cost price to people who can prove thier kit number.

If it was a new super premium kit that has 2.0, then maybe it's ok, but the fact that it's the cheaper base model little brother is a bit hard to take when you've shelled out the big cash on the real deal that was marketed as the ultimate racing machine.

The argument that it's a precision racing car and so stuff is close the the edge is ok for Formula 1, but very few of the cars out there are driven and maintained by the top 26 in the world. Most of them are raced at club level by enthusiasts who expect their kit to be durable enough to do an entire race day without maintenance.

This is not unprecedented. I bought a new TC last year and even though the team drivers had ok'd it and production had started, alot of mortals found the front spool diff outputs were breaking. The company then upgraded all kits and sent the new outputs FOC to any of the original owners that asked.
Look at recalls on full sized cars. It's only a couple of Toytas that have crashed but they're doing a full recal on every car that might be affected. These are just the facts of selling products.

Bottom line, I think Durango should help out the people that got them off the ground, even if they don't have to.

- Royal Racing Paint - <clicky>
Old 11-03-2010

Send a message via MSN to gazbaz2

I’ve had 2 pins snap on me, its 1 of those things, and it doesn’t bother me that the R version has the 2mm 1s, I will just buy the upgrade at my cost no probs, after all its my hobby I cant see an issue about it, and why there is a poll about it is really beyond me, car gets developed, comes out for the public to buy, develops an upgrade then its up2 the public if they want the upgrade or not "simplessss" when the B44 first came out there was an issue with the top decks, the ball studs to close to the edge which made it a weak point on the car, Associated didn’t send every1 who bought the car an upgraded version at a discount price, people just bought the upgrade and replaced it, again "simplessss"