Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 15-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medders View Post
...I tend to push the throttle up when using power and to use the brake I move the thumb to the top and push down...
I believe thats Rich Lowe does and a few others so...NO EXCUSES

I tried a steerwheel once before and as most have said, found the steering very good but the throttle was twitchy.
Old 15-08-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughtyUK.net View Post
well thats where you are probably OK, your inital experience with RC started with a wheel/trigger....

if you have 10 years of stick racing hard coded into your brain and pick up a steering wheel, you will be in trouble...

Er, are you referring to anyone in particular Chris?
Old 18-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopite View Post
Er, are you referring to anyone in particular Chris?
Your not the first and certainly wont be the last of people to think they might be quicker with a wheel...
Old 18-08-2008

This thread could almost be written about me.... I noticed last summer that I rarely use brakes and instead scrubbed speed off with the front wheels. I make a mental effort to remember to use them, but can only manage about three minutes before falling back into bad habits .

My excuse is I started racing with a Procat that had silly amounts of lock & a Futaba 112B with no brakes

AND I do the "push up with the thumb on the stick" thing as well. I have to consciously roll my thumb on to the top of the stick to pull back and it means I never feel comfortable on the brakes. I always apply too much or too little
Old 18-08-2008

Chris is totally correct IMO - instinctively, it is very difficult to swap over.
I made the swap from aero modelling sticks to a wheel back in 1986 and although I can drive someone else's stick equipped car now, I wouldn't feel confident in a race situation.
with the exception of a very few top drivers (Like Lee Martin and Kev Lee), my experience with a wheel is that although the steering is more instinctive, the throttle control - and hence brake control - is horrid. My throttle and brake control is binary - and no, i don't drive nitro.
i too drive without using brakes and am consistently slower than others who are more aggressive - it is tricky to change the habits of a lifetime but I wouldn't change your transmitter at the same time - that's then more things to have to think about in the heat of the moment.
'Stick' with the aero modelling transmitter style but maybe try to shorten / tension / re-profile your LH stick a little bit.
Old 18-08-2008

I've got to be honest, I thought I could get over the whole stick/wheel thing... but I haven't been able to.

I started out back in the day with sticks and it this time round it was only the availability of 2.4 ghz gear at the right price that made me choose the wheel. plus, my mini-z radios are steer-wheel (although any 27mhz radio will do the job).

the steering is very intuitive - it's a wheel! but there's always been a little bit of 'wierdness' in using the trigger grip for throttle and braking, and a lot of the time I feel I'm chasing translation time between what my brain wants and my index finger does. it has to be completely intuitive for me, and pulling back on a stick to brake feels more natural than pushing the trigger. I use the brakes a lot.

I've done the whole brake but accellerate by mistake thing quite a few times, luckily with just a 10.5 motor installed, colliding with surfaces that have a bit of give.

I've just gone and bought a sanwa super exzes with a spektrum module - it'll be interesting to see if the sticks are easier to use....
Old 18-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gps3300 View Post
This thread could almost be written about me.... I noticed last summer that I rarely use brakes and instead scrubbed speed off with the front wheels. I make a mental effort to remember to use them, but can only manage about three minutes before falling back into bad habits .

My excuse is I started racing with a Procat that had silly amounts of lock & a Futaba 112B with no brakes

AND I do the "push up with the thumb on the stick" thing as well. I have to consciously roll my thumb on to the top of the stick to pull back and it means I never feel comfortable on the brakes. I always apply too much or too little

I still feel much more comfortable with the Procat and can make it go much more agressively without the use of brakes. It seems the style developed for that may not suit getting todays cars going as fast as they can. I'm going to turn the autobrake up on the brushless and see what happens .
Old 18-08-2008
Super Moderator

Medders, the inside wheel on the Pro-Cat has soooooo much lock it's like hitting the brakes

I think you just need to practise - exactly what I am going to do.

G
Old 18-08-2008
#1 ZX5 fan

I have been known to like the odd bit of understeer but only use the brakes a bit it the most obvious situations. I do however feed my car into the corners more than most I think which is why I use so much less front end grip.

Not sure this is of any use to anyone though

Nortech is ACE!
Old 18-08-2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
I do however feed my car into the corners more than most I think which is why I use so much less front end grip.
Old 18-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Yeh i use my brakes almost every corner aswell
yeah right you throttle jammer, mwhaaaaaaaa