Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 08-11-2008

Default losi xcelorin software

Installed the software on my laptop but it won' recognise the USB adaptor.

The instructions say it will prompt to install the drivers but nothing happens, the light in the USB adaptor just stays red.

I've rebooted, turned all firewalls and anitvirus stuff off etc etc and still nothing.

Anyone have any ideas??
Old 09-11-2008

Are you using Vista ?
Old 09-11-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

You need to open device manager and install it manually if it isn't picking it up.
Old 12-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud31 View Post
Are you using Vista ?

Yep, I'm using Vista like a large proportion of PC users. Not a good effort from Losi that the software has been released without full compatability with Vista. Getting it to extract and install the usb drivers is proving to be a complete headache. Anyone have a solution? The programming card is also proving to be unreliable as reported by others. Seems to like losing settings and ramdomly giving me 0% brake .
Old 12-11-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Should be no problems with Vista, ive used it with no issues. Can you not open device manager and manually install it, then install the software?
Old 12-11-2008

I've had no problems with the software on either Vista or XP. I just think you've been unlucky. Or as an IT geek I know puts it - you've found a feature of Microsoft!

Have you tried uninstalling everything and starting again? This has worked for me in the past. The other thing you could do is plug the USB adaptor in and when it tries to install the driver for it (and can't) and prompts you for a disc try pointing it to the CD.

The only thing I'm a little disappointed with on the software is there isn't any way to check through it for firmware update (like Castle Creations do), but hey - you can't have everything!
Old 15-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4n View Post
The only thing I'm a little disappointed with on the software is there isn't any way to check through it for firmware update (like Castle Creations do), but hey - you can't have everything!
You can check on the Losi site for firmare updates.
There is currently one of the 1/10 version.

However, beware- two of us at my club purchased a combo unit, both of us independently read the instructions thought it a good idea to update the firmware. Result two ESC's back to Horizion UK as it stopped loading the update and the ESC stopped working completely in both cases.

Haven't spoken to the other user yet, but to Horizon's credit they have replaced my ESC without any problems.

Reluctant to try updating firmware again
Old 15-11-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you get read error 111 then go to commands and reset to factory default, you will have to re-enter the details but it clears the error.
Old 15-11-2008

Sorry to hijack the thread but Coastal, that is the point I was trying to make.

I would have thought that Losi would have put this facility into the software but you have to go and check the website, save the file and then upload it - Castle's software does it direct, it is just another thing you have to do with the Losi which people will forget to check.

Just my 2p's worth though.
Old 16-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwell View Post
If you get read error 111 then go to commands and reset to factory default, you will have to re-enter the details but it clears the error.
Could not do that - The software did not recognise the ESC, therefore default reset was impossible. As I said the ESC stopped working, it would not switch on, you could not set the transmitter, you could not do anything. No lights on the ESC when plugged in.

On the Losi Program the green USB was lit - the ESC connection status stayed red.
The actual USB connector light was green.

The error message displayed was Err 11 not 111

When I rang Horizion they said they would reload the default software, on the return note to me it stated "irrecoverable software fault" so even they could reset it to the factory settings.
Old 16-11-2008

Great!! So when I finally manage to get the software onto my PC should I avoid uploading the firmware - which I understand was supposed to stop the speedo "forgetting" settings.
Old 16-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medders View Post
Great!! So when I finally manage to get the software onto my PC should I avoid uploading the firmware - which I understand was supposed to stop the speedo "forgetting" settings.
No - the firmware is the operating program on the ESC like windows is on the PC. Updating the firmware is just like the updates you regularly get for Windows which improve the operating system, when you update windows all your settings/programs stay on your computer and are useable.

You can change settings on your Losi setting programs - and send them to to ESC, this does not effect the firmware in anyway.

You should have no problems in reading/changing settings, before I tried upoadloading the firmware update all this worked pefrectly.

The ESC will hold any changes you make until you decide to change them, i.e if you go from a 13.5 to 6.5 motor you will may want to alter the timing or the initial accelartion or the throttle curve. Like wise if you change from Lipo to Nimmh this needs to be changed. This is NOT changing the Firmware.

Hope that makes sense
Old 16-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
No - the firmware is the operating program on the ESC like windows is on the PC. Updating the firmware is just like the updates you regularly get for Windows which improve the operating system, when you update windows all your settings/programs stay on your computer and are useable.

You can change settings on your Losi setting programs - and send them to to ESC, this does not effect the firmware in anyway.

You should have no problems in reading/changing settings, before I tried upoadloading the firmware update all this worked pefrectly.

The ESC will hold any changes you make until you decide to change them, i.e if you go from a 13.5 to 6.5 motor you will may want to alter the timing or the initial accelartion or the throttle curve. Like wise if you change from Lipo to Nimmh this needs to be changed. This is NOT changing the Firmware.

Hope that makes sense

It does make sense but my original point obviously didn't

I am having trouble getting it to remember setting using the quick programming card, which I have been led to believe the firmware update will fix. Since I still can't get my pc to recognise the usb drivers I can't set the speedo up from the PC, or update the firmware. Even when I get it working on the PC, I still don't want to have to take the laptop to race meetings which I will have to do as the quick card seems about as useful as a used tea bag. And given your comments, the prospect of updating the firmware doesn't look that appealing either.

Last edited by Medders; 16-11-2008 at 02:16 PM. Reason: inability to spell
Old 16-11-2008

Have you more than one USB port?

try putting the connector in a different USB port and hope it picks up as new hardware the drivers are on the CD.

Otherwise a quick phone call to Horizon UK they may be able to help you.

I am using windows XP and it all loaded without any problem (have reloaded it three times!, trying to avoid Vista as it does seem to have a mind of its own

You need Losi USB to UART Bridge Controller, have a look in the hardware devices to see if it is there, if it is try removing it & reloading. or leave the USB connected and boot the PC up to see if it will pick it up and ask for the driver
Old 10-12-2009

Same sketch here, all dead after firmware update!
Vista can see the usb connection when it is working, thats not a problem, the uart bridge is visible in device manager.

How does it go with 2nd hand ESC that dies after xcelorin update?
Bought my buggy with it already installed but the settings were naff, no real braking power and zero drag brake...

Still...at least it was working I suppose!
Old 10-12-2009

Got mine 2nd hand working fine.. Update it night before heading to PDA for 1st time and 1st use of b44 xcelrion ect.. update it.. Then nothing.. esc dosnt work and wont register on comp.. trip back to horizon is in order!
Old 11-12-2009

Horizon have said to send it to them, but were a bit iffy because I was 2nd user...no sales receipt! I explained that MY esc was fine until I ran THEIR recommended update !

Why on earth do they still have that patch when its plain on just this forum that theres a serious problem with it ???
Old 11-12-2009

Oh really, I emailed them a few days ago-As im in the exact same boat as you and no reply.. hmm maybe ring them.. but mine was from 2nd user fine until update ect..
Old 11-12-2009

Right...thats mine sent special delivery and we'll see what the outcome is!

Does anyone else think this issue should be a 'sticky' seeing as its terminal when it does go wrong?

a) Varying your settings using original version is fine.
b) Use of the latest update in some cases will lock up the ESC.
c) The software can be used in Vista and does work.

For reference contact for Losi in the UK is:

Horizon Hobby UK
Units 1 to 4 Ployters Road
Staple Tye,
Southern Way,
Harlow,
ESSEX CM18 7NS

Telephone;
44 (0) 1279 641097
Fax;
44 (0) 1279 428863
E-Mail;
sales@horizonhobby.co.uk

Be advised of long delays or in some cases failure to answer emails, therefore telephone contact provides better results.