Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 14-08-2008

Default Brakes?

Just a general driving style question really, but how much do people tend to use their brakes?

It occured to me at Teeside regional that I wasn't using the brake at all, in fact the only time I ever use it is at the end of a long straight. Is this normal?
Old 14-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I use them for almost every corner unless its an on-power or accelerating corner.

when I say use them, it could just be a 1 or 2 percent pull back on the stick but I do do it.
Old 14-08-2008
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Send a message via MSN to ben

Yeh i use my brakes almost every corner aswell
Old 14-08-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Garry Driffill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Yeh i use my brakes almost every corner aswell
We all know thats a lie

Old 14-08-2008

Thats what I feared, could explain why despite being very consistent and getting good lines I can't get my individual lap times down compared to drivers qualifing in similar finals.

Arggghh, how the hell do I start changing my driving style now ??Probably goes back to when i learned in the late 80's when drive trains were so inefficient brakes weren;t needed .

Could it worth trying wheel instead of sticks to force a change ??
Old 14-08-2008
Mad Member

Ive been using wheel and trigger for a a month or so and finding im not using the brakes as much as i used to with the sticks. For me personally i find long sweeping corners better using wheel, Plus i think im getting a little smoother too on and off throttle and corners
Old 14-08-2008

Send a message via MSN to LEGEND

When i use my dads wheel controller i always seem to be a lot smoother and in some cases quicker probably because i am not used to using the brakes on his controller compared to my stick controller. And because i am normally using his car and dont want to break it.
Old 14-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Lee Martin might disagree here, but steerwheel radio's are not so good for trailing the brakes into corners
- actually, maybe they are if thats all you ever used.

changing from sticks to steerwheel NEVER works, you can go to a practise day and feel like you are dialled running with a wheel, because its easy you 'think' about everything you do and its all good

its when you get into a race or a nervous sitution and you need to do something instinctive, a wheel converted stick racer will be ABSOLUTELY TOSS, they will do bod things like gun the throttle when the wanted to brake.

the steering bit is fine with the wheel. its the throttle on the trigger than is so hard when you try and race naturally.
Old 14-08-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

I have tried a wheel after way to many years of sticks, and what I found, I could be more precise with the steering, but the throttle always felt more like a switch, but I think that is more the fact that it is such a small movement.

And yes, nailing the throttle when needing brakes urgent is a norm, although I found when cruising round the track wasn't an issue, but I just wasn't as fast as with sticks.
Old 14-08-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mole2k

Anytime I tried a wheel the throttle felt really awkward and I found I lost all finesse on it, the actual steering was ok.

www.rcbearings.co.uk
Old 14-08-2008

most people use my car as their brakes,it seems to work well especially in the finals at regionals.
Old 14-08-2008

Interesting comments folks. Just got the tranny out and thought about it more. I tend to push the throttle up when using power and to use the brake I move the thumb to the top and push down - hence a long delay and probably why I usually don't use brakes.

I tried a wheel once - the stearing felt more positive but throttle very lurchy - but then that was only for 3 or 4 mins with someone elses car.

I suppose its easy to blame the type of equipment one is using when getting frustrating with actual driving ability
Old 14-08-2008
Woop Woop Member

try adjusting yoiur thumb position on the stick before anything else so that the change between forward and brake doesnt need you to move your thumb position on the stick. its not a big change and wont affect your driving much but will make it a lot easier to slow down

i know a few local racers who have had to do this of late and although akward at first you will find it easier than changing to a steer wheel transmitter

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 14-08-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughtyUK.net View Post
Lee Martin might disagree here, but steerwheel radio's are not so good for trailing the brakes into corners
- actually, maybe they are if thats all you ever used.

changing from sticks to steerwheel NEVER works, you can go to a practise day and feel like you are dialled running with a wheel, because its easy you 'think' about everything you do and its all good

its when you get into a race or a nervous sitution and you need to do something instinctive, a wheel converted stick racer will be ABSOLUTELY TOSS, they will do bod things like gun the throttle when the wanted to brake.

the steering bit is fine with the wheel. its the throttle on the trigger than is so hard when you try and race naturally.
Ive not had this issue of gunning throttle since going back to this. When i first got into RC this is what i used from the off for at least 4 - 5 months just avarage street bashing like once upon a time we all did.

Then went over to using sticks for 5 years (There abouts) and in that time started racing and what not. Now going back onto wheel & Trigger isnt that bad, Ive not had any of this pressured nerve throttle abuse .

EDIT - Half of the issue some people may have going across or using it is the element of doubt constently having to think as it "seems" un-natural and confusing after using sticks for an amount of time or from first getting into the hobby.

Im finding going back to using the wheel its better in my eye's for me.
Old 14-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Driffill View Post
Ive not had this issue of gunning throttle since going back to this. When i first got into RC this is what i used from the off for at least 4 - 5 months just avarage street bashing like once upon a time we all did.

Then went over to using sticks for 5 years (There abouts) and in that time started racing and what not. Now going back onto wheel & Trigger isnt that bad, Ive not had any of this pressured nerve throttle abuse .

Im finding going back to using the wheel its better in my eye's for me.
well thats where you are probably OK, your inital experience with RC started with a wheel/trigger....

if you have 10 years of stick racing hard coded into your brain and pick up a steering wheel, you will be in trouble...
Old 14-08-2008
Mad Member

I can see that being very difficult after 10 Years to be fair, I thought you just meant in general people who'd been racing/using sticks for a number of years. Ive gotta say though just giving the brake a little tap or jolt doesnt seem as easy as sticks was.

End of the day its what you find easier to use .... Probibly
Old 14-08-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mole2k

I just find with the wheels you feel quite dissconnected from the car thats after 10 years of sticks here.

www.rcbearings.co.uk
Old 14-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

Last year I switched to steerwheel while I was waiting to afford a new tranny. This was in TC's.
I don't tend to use brakes much and found that to start with I used brakes more. But after 3/4 meetings I went back to my normal style of brakes and was lapping at virtually the same lap times as my sticks.
So once you get used to them you end up driving in the same way.

But it is something I need to do more too, as I'm turning in hard and fast for corners and scrubbing off speed that way...which I know is wrong, but its just habbit of running tourers for too long.
Old 14-08-2008

On most steerwheel radios the travel for brakes is very limited, on my KO Helios it's around half what you have for throttle I think, and with the power of braking in a 2wd or 4wd with one way fitted it's usually pretty hard to use them effectively, I myself find myself scrubbing speed off into corners rather than using brakes, or lifting off and sweeping in... but that's something that's quite easy to do with the b4 as it slides until it finds grip and then the massive amount of rear toe in does the rest for you, I've tried using brakes more but it never really felt 'right' to me
Old 15-08-2008
Lee-Mag

Brakes, those are for wimps, or thats what i thought, but to be fair you need to use them to be quick, i am currently in the process of trying to get rid of the smooth scrubbing the speed off in the corner style, and trying to use the brakes to get the nose into the corner, its the only way to be quick in 2wd. My biggest issue is i push the stick from the back so i have to lift my thumb to the top of the stick to use the brakes.

I will get there, if i dont i will continue to be crap

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com