Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 16-01-2015

Default BMAX4 III Steering play

We seem to have quite a lot of play on our steering, mainly vertically on the steering arms and posts. Is this typical? Do most folks just shim it out?

Thanks.
Old 16-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by weejimmy View Post
We seem to have quite a lot of play on our steering, mainly vertically on the steering arms and posts. Is this typical? Do most folks just shim it out?

Thanks.
Yes it's normal. I've not bothered shimming mine as I'm not too worried about vertical play. If it was horizontal it would be more concerning.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 16-01-2015

Ah OK. I just put the tune up steering brace on, then wondered why I bothered given all the other play on the posts!
Old 16-01-2015

Quote:
Ah OK. I just put the tune up steering brace on, then wondered why I bothered given all the other play on the posts!
The steering brace really is a good addition. The kit steering is a bit flexy but I wouldn't worry about the vertical play. You could shim it but taking play out will put stress elsewhere and if it isn't doing any harm, why worry?
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 16-01-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I shimmed my posts with 4x6mmx0.3mm shims. Really took out loads of play and seemed to stabilise the buggy's centre point and tighten everything up. I used the Arrowmax brace, but went back to the kit plastic rack with the carbon brace. to be fair the Arroawmax one could also be shimmed as well, but I've fallen out with it now, only because everything was so loose and sloppy. I also replaced the kit bearings with new rubber seal ones which helped tighten it up as well.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by neallewis; 16-01-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 16-01-2015

I might try the same.

BTW - your KF front shock protector mod saved my bacon last weekend. I had one in my pitbox having read the thread and needed it sooner than anticipated after my driver returned from a heat with the old perspex one askew!

A bit of quick dremmling and the job was a good'un (albeit a bit rushed).

So thanks!

Old 16-01-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
I might try the same.

BTW - your KF front shock protector mod saved my bacon last weekend. I had one in my pitbox having read the thread and needed it sooner than anticipated after my driver returned from a heat with the old perspex one askew!

A bit of quick dremmling and the job was a good'un (albeit a bit rushed).

So thanks!

Good job. They work great.
Wish there was a factory fit option...
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 17-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
I shimmed my posts with 4x6mmx0.3mm shims. Really took out loads of play and seemed to stabilise the buggy's centre point and tighten everything up. I used the Arrowmax brace, but went back to the kit plastic rack with the carbon brace. to be fair the Arroawmax one could also be shimmed as well, but I've fallen out with it now, only because everything was so loose and sloppy. I also replaced the kit bearings with new rubber seal ones which helped tighten it up as well.
has this improves your lap times? I'm still impressed that this buggy holds up so well even though I've been into rc for a year and running 6.5t...