Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 19-01-2011

Default Transmitter Secrets

Hi Guys,

We are all very open when it comes to the set-up of our cars with springs, oil, camber and toe-in and we are even starting to publish are ESP setting, so with technology getting more and more advanced within the transmitter market with loads of settings you can change from ST/TH speed and even ABS. What secrets are you holding in your hands and why, what effects do they give???

I think this will be very interesting for beginners and even veteran drivers who just never new.
Old 19-01-2011
oOple Advertiser

very interesting point, and quite important these days in how the car runs.
Have been messing about with mine today, ABS etc
Old 19-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Mike Hudson

apart from the obvious setup to get the car going in a straight line & round corners ok, throttle curve I find the most used adjustment on the transmitter to aid the car handling in certain track conditions & sometimes fiddle with the speed of the servo & the amount of steering lock, mostly leave everything else as factory settings unless I'm desperate to get the car handling better
Old 19-01-2011

As far as I am aware, ABS is not BRCA legal.
Old 19-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hide View Post
As far as I am aware, ABS is not BRCA legal.
As a system on the car itself
Old 19-01-2011

i have actually been looking into this, and have been playing for about a month with different setting on my ko propo helios.

it is quite amazing, and the settings really do have an amazing effect, i have been using the thottle curve settings on my 10th scale, to try and smooth out the power delivery and it really does have an amazing effect on the power transition, at the moment i am using a massive 55% negative power curve and it just makes the trigger less responsive at the initial start but as you squeeze the power comes on faster, usefull for my trf as it very wheelie happy as it is. i also have the brakes on my esc set too full and if i find that its a little too much then rather than changing the settings on the speed controller, (a little complicated too do by the track side or during a quali) then i just knock the end point on my brake down a few notches.

I have also used my steering curve as well too take a little sensitivity off the steering, just makes it a little easier too change direction subtly without it feeling too dead.

I am no expert but i am learning quickly but if there are any questions then i am sure that there is someone out there that can help. So come on people we have all the bells and whistles for a reason, use them with some subtle changes my laptimes dropped by nearly a second a lap. and that was for just half and hour of practice and reading the instructions. Well worth it.
Old 19-01-2011
Mad Member

I use a -100 exp curve on the throttle of most of my cars. All my ESC's are LRP sphere's/ssx's with x12 motors,and they tend to be quite aggressive even on the lowest value so I use the curve to make them better on the slippy stuff.

I don't mess with much else with 10th but with 5th I have the tranny set so one dial alters the front/rear brake bias on the fly. You could do this on 8th buggy too if you had two servo's.

Clown
Old 19-01-2011

Send a message via MSN to JonMack Send a message via Skype™ to JonMack

I have my brakes set at about 10, my servo speed is about 30 (out of 100) and has a negative curve of about 20 on it, I also set up my steering so it has more lock (eg rather than it being at 100, i put it at about 125) because my servo saver spring is a bit soft and the steering can sometimes get jolted around a bit, never put my throttle up to full, it's usually on about 75-80, sometimes have a negative curve on it but i don't think I do at the moment.

When i've got my radio gear infront of me I'll be able to tell you exactly how I set it up, that's all from memory. FWIW it's a Ko Propo EX-1 Mars (black and orange one) which I've had for about 10/11 years.
Old 20-01-2011

Its interesting at the min to see that you guys are only using around 4 settings if that, the common one being the EPA and ST/TH Curve,

So if this is the case WHY are we spending £250+ on a transmitter, if we are not using it to its full potential? Is a transmitter a status thing, like say the latest mobile phone?
Old 20-01-2011

Send a message via MSN to Pownabown

I personally buy a transmitter for how it feels in my hands.
I like a thin tranny with short sticks. As long as it has steering rate adjustment that is enough for me
Old 20-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The only things I usually play with are throttle/steering curve, brake EPA and sometimes steering speed. I don't like to go much more than -20% on any of the curves though as while it does calm down the bottom end of the stick, it also turns the top end of it's travel into a switch.
Old 20-01-2011
Mad Member

I think there is a status thing in there somewhere but it is also a matter of lack of choice.

I like KO radios as I have never had any radio problems (that weren't my fault!!) in around 15 years of use.

Problem is they do not do a huge range of stick transmitters as most of the rest of the world seems to prefer steerwheel radios.

If they would do a KO Univ "lite" with a few less functions for £150 I'd be very happy as I use maybe 10% of my Univ functions.

Rob
Old 20-01-2011
Mad Member

Keep the transmitter settings to a minimum!

You might make the car "feel" nice but actually you are masking it's true nature. Better to get the car itself handling well, or get your thumbs working better.

Personally I never use anything on the throttle side (I use the ESC settings to make the car smoother if necessary), although I can understand why people might want a small amount (not much more than 10%) of expo on there.

Steering setup is critical. Sub-trim to set the linkage, EPA to set full lock, dual-rate to set the amount of steering needed on the track. A little expo if the car is nervous near centre.

I never use the other stuff. Some of it has it's place in nitro cars, some of it is better for boats or 3-channel models, the rest is just there for the sake of it.
Old 20-01-2011
SHRCCC Legend

And for us who's thumbs simply wont work better?
Old 20-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

I also have my speedo setup to 100% brakes and then the ATL controls it nicely.

I've never managed to actually lock the wheels under braking so imo the ABS function is wasted.

Haven't done much with the curves yet, although read about it all. I bought a 3VCS because it was the only tranny I found which I liked that had 2.4
Old 20-01-2011

I always run between -4 and -6% exponential on the steering on all of my cars including on-road and off-road. It just deadens the car around center stick but still allows a car set up the car with plenty of steering when needed. I tried to get the same feel using roll centers but it just never seems quite the same.
Old 20-01-2011

So due to the lack of stick radios on the market you find that you are kind of forced into buying an expensive radio, and you’re not buying it due to the set-up options that the radio has to offer.
Old 20-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
I've never managed to actually lock the wheels under braking so imo the ABS function is wasted.
You can't fully lock the wheels using the method our ESC's use, they need the wheels turning to generate resistance. They can look like they're locking, but usually that's one wheel loosing grip and the diff trying to spin it the other way.
Old 20-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I don't think high-end radios are just about the setup options, the main reason to have them is the ultra quick response time, especially in the 2.4Ghz market.

I don't use any advanced functions, but I want direct, instant control over my car, I don't want to send instructions via carrier pigeon.
Old 20-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

personally I just wanted to have the option to change the LED colour. None of the others could offer this...

3VCS it is then