Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 01-05-2011

Default Looking for more steering.

Hi,

I'm new to buggy racing, normally run 12th but have now run my x6-squared three times and am constantly looking for steering. I ran the car on grass today with yellow mini pins all round. The car was the best it has been but I still feel it could be doing with more steering particularly mid corner and on power. I'm not sure if it is a lack of grip at the front or too much at the rear that is not allowing the car to rotate.

I've attached a copy of my current setup and would appreciate any hints on where to go next.

Cheers

Kenneth
Attached Files
File Type: pdf x6 setup.PDF (190.8 KB, 82 views)
Old 01-05-2011

Move shocks in on top and bottom and go to b hole on hubs front
Old 01-05-2011
oOple Advertiser

Kenneth, I cannot open your set up file from where I am at present, but how much weight are you running in the car and where is it placed?
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 01-05-2011

Raise the inner front link another 2 washers will help.

Also not sure what your rear ride height is but you want it 23mm from the chassis to the floor. It's hard to look at the rear arms/shafts because neither is level at the correct height hence the measurement.

Also you could move the weight out from under you lipos and get some more in the very front.

E.
Old 01-05-2011

Hi,

There is 100g behind the servo and 60 grams under the speedo but none under the lipo. I've just measured the ride height of the car and the rear is 22.5 mm and the front at 23, although I'm not quite sure where to take the front measurement from. Tried to go from back of the front skidplate.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Kenneth
Old 01-05-2011

If you're running mini PINS on grass then that is the problem.

You need to run mini SPIKEs.

Your intitial post says minipins but the setup sheet says minispikes.
Old 01-05-2011

Sorry the mini pins is a typo it should have read mini spikes.
Old 02-05-2011
Mad Member

Try a rear roll bar and stiffer front springs (as with AE green front springs you could be losing grip through body roll; stiffer should help put the weight onto the tyres).

HTH
Old 02-05-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

I can't read setup sheet from where I am either, but my usual question to anyone atthis point is how is your servo saver setup? It MUST be the HD spring at the least and preferably glued up else it slips like a .................. slippy thing

Nortech is ACE!
Old 02-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
I can't read setup sheet from where I am either, but my usual question to anyone atthis point is how is your servo saver setup? It MUST be the HD spring at the least and preferably glued up else it slips like a .................. slippy thing
Dan posting on a thread about more steering , mankind is doomed

anyway:
  1. front: thinner oil ( 30/32,5 wt) silver springs, shock pos 2-I (add limiters to compensate droop)
  2. Raise rear to arms level
  3. rear: move shock to 2-I, rear rollcenter move to hole B
  4. add slipperweight
  5. 25 caster on rollcenter 1-A ( 2 washers )
( dont do all changes at once, try step by step )
Old 02-05-2011
Mad Member

Mankind is indeed doomed if Dan is posting here. I'm canceling all remaining doctors' appointments and resigning myself to the end...

On the other hand, Dan is usually right (That's why we love him so.) and he's right on here. The first thing any pro driver does with AE steering is to glue the servo saver tight. If you have not done that, it will push like a wheel barrow.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 02-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
On the other hand, Dan is usually right (That's why we love him so.) and he's right on here.
Don't get me wrong, Dan is a nice bloke and the answer is true. But I'm starting to worry when Captain Understeer himself is responding on a "more steering" topic
Old 03-05-2011
Mad Member

Me too. I'm half way to the death bed already and it's all Super Dan's fault.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 03-05-2011

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried stiffer front springs, started on blue then went to silver but the car did run better on the green springs. It's the standard servo saver on the car so I'll look at that but I'm a bit nervous about locking it up when I'm a novice at offroad. I'm an experienced racer and can get a car round a track without hitting things but I'm not used to going up in the air yet !!

I have a roll bar kit as well so I can try this and the 25 deg caster blocks. I'm hoping to run the car at the weekend again so I'll let you know

Cheers

Kenneth
Old 03-05-2011
Mad Member

Tightening the servo saver right up (or better still, gluing it up) will make a big difference I'm sure. The car should feel much more responsive and positive when you have. If you have a decent metal geared servo and retain the plastic servo horn, the horn should hopefully go before the servo gears do - at least thats what I'm counting on with my Savox 1258.
Old 03-05-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

Lol, just seen your replies. The servo saver can cost you steering and it's unpredictable, it can actually sometimes give initial understeer followed by oversteer in the middle of the corner when it stops 'saving' and adds on the lock.

Honestly for the cost of the bits try it glued, see if its the night and day difference it usually is and if you don't like it put it back to standard.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 03-05-2011
Mad Member

Glue the servo saver! Utterly pointless trying not to. The steering will usually break before anything else.
Old 04-05-2011

Definitely glue the servo saver. I spent weeks messing with setup looking for extra steering until I glued the servo saver. After gluing I had to revert all my other setups as I had so much steering.

With 12 months of running I broke the plastic servo horn twice, however the servo was fine. The two breakages happened on the same part of the track involving a very large jump and a piece of concrete.

Make sure you have the end points set correctly on your steering. I have mine so the servo is just straining slightly when the wheels are fully locked across.
Old 04-05-2011

Hi,

I'll glue the servo saver up first before making any other changes. I'm running a savox 1258 so the servo should be strong enough.

Cheers

Kenneth
Old 04-05-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJR View Post
Hi,

I'll glue the servo saver up first before making any other changes. I'm running a savox 1258 so the servo should be strong enough.

Cheers

Kenneth
That what I've been running for nearly a year now without issues. I also have alloy replacement bits for the servo saver and a beefy(ish) servo horn.

The irony of this for me is that I don't like a lot of actual steering but I do want it to be precise.

Nortech is ACE!