Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 11-01-2014

Default Possibly getting back into racing

Hello!

It's been a while (You last visited: 16-05-2009)! But after finishing all the uni stuff and getting a real job I'm looking at possibly getting back into racing again to occupy my weekends. I would definitely prefer an off road format and used to run 1/10th off road electric after switching from 1/8th Nitro for cost reasons, still looking for something reasonably cost effective but won't be running on a shoe string budget any more, it's just that I have a 1/1 track car project also that should be getting the most wallet attention!

So, after a long time away, 3 main questions really!

What cars and kit should I be looking at?
I do tend to like to fiddle with setup as I have a background in vehicle dynamics, so looking for something not over simplified as I'd find it frustrating wanting to make a certain change and not being able to. Probably looking at 2WD (I assume there's a 2WD/4WD split still?) or are there other options now? SC trucks were kind of kicking off when I left racing. Is it worth getting a 2.4ghz radio if I have my trusty KO eclipse still? I will be getting new batteries/motor/speedo etc as I knew that would be well out of date if I ever came back as lipo/brushless was coming in.

Who are the main model shops around now?
I did notice a little while after I left MK Racing had closed so anywhere with the familiar smell of fibreglass being laid up would be great! I'm in the Banbury area now

What/where are the local clubs?
The BRCA postcode search doesn't seem to work at all!
Old 12-01-2014

2009.. you've not been away to long

Car brands and chassis are a very personal thing. I've always tried to find that one brand I can stick with forever.. I've not been very successful mind you and have dance around from Tamiya to Ansmann to Durango and now I'm putting together a 8th Serpent Cobra v2 which is making me want the new Spyder 2wd

I'm now stuck between Durango and Serpent. Both are European which I like, both design all their own parts and are not some OEM knock off. And both have a lot of set up options. The DEX210 by Durango has more set up options then anything I've seen before.

Another option is of course Xray. With the new line of 10th buggies that have appeared this year you get the Hudy quality and a huge amount of tweak options and they are kinda mean looking.

Also the old names are now releasing new cars.. the B5 by AE comes in rear and Mid motor versions and are not even on the shelves yet so if you want something uber new look at them. Losi have the TLR 22.

My thoughts would be to have a look at Durango and Xray. They are the 2 that have a lot of set up options. I'd not ignore Serpent as the new 2wd buggies look excellent.

2.4ghz is the way to go. It makes racing so much easier when you don't have to worry about other people on the same crystal.

K

ANVIL-GFX
Old 12-01-2014

40mhz band is all good imo right now. No one is using it.

I wouldn't go with a Durango that I own right now anymore. Way too low quality and would go with Yokomo or Kyosho instead.
Old 12-01-2014

Think I'm sorted on the radio front, I'm not expecting any problems with 40MHz as you say no one uses it! But if I do it's a case of changing modules in my KO it seems to make it 2.4.

I've been looking around a bit at the new kits, if 2WD is popular that's definitely the way I want to go (real men get massive oversteer on power).

I like the XRAY quality and the mass of setup options, but hate that they use chassis stiffness as a quick fix for grip problems. It's not something I have to use, but it's not really an ethos I agree with. Also not a big fan of the fact they seem to have almost lopped a driveshaft out of the 4WD kit and gone "ta-da, new 2WD platform!" but then I do like the fact the weight is more central which I'm sure although it maybe doesn't put enough weight back onto the rear wheels, is a better starting position from basic vehicle dynamics principles.

Looking at the Yokomo and Kyosho options I really like the fact they can be built as rear or mid motor configurations which adds a bit of variability to where they can be used best, as although in my own inexperienced option the mid motor may be better from a basic vehicle dynamics principle point of view, I'm quite aware that rear motor tends to work better on low grip.

I did look at the Associated but I prefer the Yokomo/Kyosho options for the fact they carry both motor configurations in one kit as without running both I'm not sure what I prefer just yet!

I think it might be a visit to the Silverstone club (which I believe is my closest if anyone wishes to offer an alternative!) and see what most people are running. I assume being outdoors it will be low grip which might sway towards the Yokomo or Kyosho.

Edit: Also when did buggies get so damn ugly!

Edit2: Seems Silverstone run both indoors and outdoors looking around, bit confused tbh! Do they have 2 venues?