Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 23-09-2017

Unhappy Hobbyking V3.1 1s speedo issues

I picked up a second hand Hobbyking V3.1 1s speedo and I'm having trouble getting it to calibrate to my radio gear. I'll run through everything I've tried. Maybe I am missing something?

The speedo is running the latest firmware version and the programming card is up to date too (i've just updated them this morning). The radio throttle channel is set to reverse. The receiver wire is the all black on, and I assume I am plugging it into the receiver correctly (signal wire is the furthest left when looking at the side of the receiver plug where you can see the gold tabs)

When I plug the speedo into the battery and turn it on, the red light comes on as expected. I then hold the power button and the speedo goes into calibration mode (the red light flashes and the motor beeps as it should). This should calibrate neutral. I then press the speedo button to signal the neutral point and the speedo turns off rather than recognising neutral. I then cannot get the speedo to turn on again unless I unplug the battery. The speedo then turns back on, but when I try to enter calibration mode the same thing happens.

I have tried a different receiver and a different sensor cable neither of which worked.
Is the speedo dead? Can it be repaired? Am I flogging a dead horse? Any input would be gratefully received!
Thanks in advance
M
Old 23-09-2017
Mad Member

Just a silly question what radio are you using .?
I had a esc that wouldnt calibrate until I calbrated radio neutral sanwa mt4 was mine
sorted after that
Old 23-09-2017

Have known a few people with the core CODE radios have the aux switch in the wrong position and nothing works right
Old 23-09-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

have you got the RX plug the correct way in the ESC to match the receiver, those all black wires are a bugger as you could be plugged in such a way the signal at the receiver is going to the + on the ESC if Im not sure I mark the signal wire when plugged into the receiver then follow the wire all the way to the ESC plug to make sure everything matches. Just a thought

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 24-09-2017

Unhappy

I have a futaba 4pk transmitter and r604fs receiver. I've tried the receiver wire both ways round in the receiver and still nothing. I assume when you say calibrate the neutral point you mean on the transmitter alone as the Speedo is not currently working. Thanks for input so far.

M
Old 24-09-2017

Thumbs down

Just recalibrated the neutral on the transmitter....still no life in the Speedo other than the red light as previously described.
Old 24-09-2017
Mad Member

Another daft thought
try starting from fresh with a new model memory assignment im assuming you are fitting esc to a an existing model ?

hope this helps dave
Old 24-09-2017

Thumbs up

Yeah might be worth a try.
Old 27-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin.s View Post
When I plug the speedo into the battery and turn it on, the red light comes on as expected. I then hold the power button and the speedo goes into calibration mode (the red light flashes and the motor beeps as it should). This should calibrate neutral. I then press the speedo button to signal the neutral point and the speedo turns off rather than recognising neutral. I then cannot get the speedo to turn on again unless I unplug the battery. The speedo then turns back on, but when I try to enter calibration mode the same thing happens.
May sound silly, but when you say it turns off, are you sure it isn't just that the light has gone out because you've set neutral and it's waiting for you to go to full throttle and press the button again?
Old 07-10-2017

Unhappy

Yeah it defo turns off. According to the manual once neutral is calibrated the led should flash green and the motor should been once - this doesn't happen. Ive tried setting it up under a new model on the transmitter and still nothing. I'm now starting to think that there isn't any power getting to the receiver as the light on that isn't lighting up....not sure if it would do this before calibration is complete though....hmmm....maybe I just scrap the Speedo? Could it be the receiver wire from the Speedo? The receiver is fine so that's not the issue here.

Thoughts?
Old 07-10-2017
Mad Member

If you think this is case use a old 4 cell nimh pack to power receiver you seem to be trying everything else I can think of
Old 08-10-2017

Question

That's worth a try but if the receiver wire from the Speedo is knackered there's no guarantee it would pick up a signal from the receiver once it powered with the nimh pack. Any body know anywhere that would do a repair on the Speedo?

Thanks for everyone's input
Old 08-10-2017
Mad Member

Re read original post
havevyou tried holding power button on as you plug battery into esc
to be fairvyou have tried everything I can think of my brains almost empty

dave
Old 08-10-2017

Hi
Did you see the speedo working before you bought it?
If the previous owner races at your club/local maybe he can test it with his gear?
Old 08-10-2017
Mad Member

re read it again !!!
you are running it on 1s in a gt12 /lmp car ? if running on 2s it may not work ?

regards dave
Old 08-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin.s View Post
Yeah it defo turns off. According to the manual once neutral is calibrated the led should flash green and the motor should been once - this doesn't happen. Ive tried setting it up under a new model on the transmitter and still nothing. I'm now starting to think that there isn't any power getting to the receiver as the light on that isn't lighting up....not sure if it would do this before calibration is complete though....hmmm....maybe I just scrap the Speedo? Could it be the receiver wire from the Speedo? The receiver is fine so that's not the issue here.

Thoughts?
In your original post you said you turned the ESC on and then held the power button to go into calibration mode.

You need to start with it off, you then hold the power button until it turns on and you get a beep. The next press is then neutral and the light does flash once but then goes out and it waits for you to go to full throttle and press the button again. It still sounds like you might be getting stuck at this part of calibration.

Have you got a servo connected? You can confirm the receiver is powered if that moves.

Does the motor run at all even without calibration? You would expect to be able to find some throttle either in forwards or reverse on the transmitter if the ESC is okay and hooked up.
Old 09-10-2017
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Sounds like the Speedo needs reflashing to me. Seen it a few times on the gt12 circuit page on fb

Last edited by mark christopher; 09-10-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-10-2017
Mad Member

mark could be on to something ? you said you updated soft ware maybe it didn't fully load ? or glitched in download

worth a shot reflashing it ?

dave